Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Islander Steelheader question  (Read 1925 times)

dave c

Islander Steelheader question
« on: March 11, 2016, 10:26:17 PM »

I have a relatively new Steelheader (bought in August).  I've noticed that quite often the clicker will engage itself when I am adjusting my float.  This never happens when casting, drifting or fighting a fish.  Only when I take the tension off adjusting the float. Not a big deal, but it gets irritating after a while.  Is there a way to adjust, or is this something I should have looked at?

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
Re: Islander Steelheader question
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2016, 10:20:31 AM »

There's not to much going on in there, I bet that there's not enough tension on the spring to hold the clicker in its place as the clicker knob is held back and down when casting. If the spring is to loose it could slide up and into the click position.
Take the screw out that holds the triangle clicker and bend the spring a little more in the direction it is already bent. I would think that will fix your issue. Just bend the last bend as it goes down to the clicker not the bend coming off the 2 screws at the top.

I only use the clicker when moving spot to spot or when tailing the fish, and I tightened the spring this way quite a bit so it really holds the reel tight.
Also if there's any grease or oil in there clean it out and run the clicker dry. Been doing that for years and years and no issue at all. Actually I run the entire reel dry.

dave c

Re: Islander Steelheader question
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2016, 05:15:04 PM »

Thanks so much Noah.  Will give it a shot. 8) 8) 8)