Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A question about Sea fishing off a boat  (Read 2116 times)

fishseeker

• Old Timer
A question about Sea fishing off a boat
« on: May 20, 2009, 01:17:06 PM »

I am looking to do some fishing with my nephew off a boat.  Nothing fancy - my brother has a sailing boat and we just want to be able to drop a line over the side or troll something behind it.

I was thinking (hoping) it might be possible just to drop an artificial over the side and hook into something by jigging it up and down or just to troll something flashy behind the boat (using downriggers would be more than we could handle off the sailing boat because it is not designed for fishing).

Does anybody have any thoughts about the simplest and cheapest setup we could use for this?  It would be useful  to know things like line weights, rod ratings, kind of reel, weight needed to get the line down to the appropriate depth, landing nets etc.

I have a fair amount of experience fishing freshwater but practically zero when it comes to sea fishing off of boats - any ideas would be much appreciated.  ( I do know that a separate salt water license is required for tidal waters)

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
Re: A question about Sea fishing off a boat
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 05:18:35 PM »

If you're fishing in the Strait of Georgia you won't catch much, since there's not much left to catch and many place are now Rockfish Conservation Areas or RCAs.

So be very very careful where you drop something down DFO is dead serious about this.

You could try a flasher and spoon behind a planer like a Dipsy Diver but your chances are poor overall.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 05:20:14 PM by Sam Salmon »

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 05:47:45 PM »

4-6oz banana weight, 8' leader to cutplug
4-6oz banana weight, 6' leader to flasher, then 20-30" to hootchie

with a cutplug, the boat needs very little speed sometimes only drifting with current.

bcsixgill

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 08:45:27 AM »

I am looking to do some fishing with my nephew off a boat.  Nothing fancy - my brother has a sailing boat and we just want to be able to drop a line over the side or troll something behind it.

I was thinking (hoping) it might be possible just to drop an artificial over the side and hook into something by jigging it up and down or just to troll something flashy behind the boat (using downriggers would be more than we could handle off the sailing boat because it is not designed for fishing).

Does anybody have any thoughts about the simplest and cheapest setup we could use for this?  It would be useful  to know things like line weights, rod ratings, kind of reel, weight needed to get the line down to the appropriate depth, landing nets etc.

I have a fair amount of experience fishing freshwater but practically zero when it comes to sea fishing off of boats - any ideas would be much appreciated.  ( I do know that a separate salt water license is required for tidal waters)

A few years ago, I caught a 10 lb spring off the south end of bowen, dragging a 3" Pirkins about 300 ft behind behind my sailboat.  It was the only lure I had on my at the time, faded, paint chipped and bang, fish on!  Had a tougher time getting it into the boat without a net.

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 12:58:18 PM »

Thanks a lot for all of your answers.

Most of the fishing we are looking to do would be in the Georgia Straight area and I have read the regs - I can see there is lot we would need to be mindful of (geez so many gotchas,  I thought freshwater fishing regs were ciomplicated enough  ???)

Ultimately this is not going to be a serious effort - just casually dropping a line over the side either stationary or while moving along slowly in slack wind conditions.  Not expecting to haul in bucket loads of fish, just something to keep my nephew entertained when things are slow on the boat.

I appreciated the answers about setup and thanks for pointing out the issue with regulations.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2009, 07:10:21 PM »

Can't go wrong using a Buzz Bomb for jigging. 3 inch XH (extra heavy) I prefer the pearl with stripe. Pirkens can be realy deadly at times too.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?