Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trout timing  (Read 1266 times)

Hoop71

Trout timing
« on: October 10, 2013, 01:08:07 PM »

I have my nephews coming over and want to take them fishing at one of the local lakes.

Is there a "best" time to catch trout in the locally stocked lakes? I don't mean just after they are stocked, but time of day.

I know in the summer morning and evening are best as it cools down and they are more active. When it is coolish like it is now all day is there still a preferred time when the fish my be more active?

Cheers
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 04:36:24 PM by Hoop71 »

robbyvanz

Re: Trout timing
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 01:57:44 PM »

been out a couple of times.  Early mornings seem to be best.  Afternoons are usually dead.  Sasamat and Lafarge have good access for young ones. 
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 03:46:31 PM by robbyvanz »

jimmywits

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 03:10:21 PM »

I too have been out a number of times to Buntzen lake and have found it to be better prior to around 1pm. But that can change from lake to lake. The water temperature is rapidly cooling down and this can make early,early, and late,late timing unnecessary. Be on the water by 8:30-9am and you should do well. Many lakes do seem to have an afternoon doldrum and you do more fishing than catching, but it is still great to be out there and success is always possible!!

have fun and good luck

Craig

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 04:02:50 PM »

At Green Timbers in Surrey, my daughter and I have had success in the morning until around 11 and then again around 2-3 hours before sunset until it starts getting too dark to fish.

You can always take them to the hatchery in Abbotsford too. It costs $10 per and they supply rods and tackle. My little ones really like it there but it isn't exactly sporting ;). I take my youngest two there as they don't have a lot of patience.

Good luck!
Craig

Shmoke Shaman

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 04:47:09 PM »

Mornings seem better for myself, Lafarge.

fishbandit66

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 05:28:33 PM »

Would depend a bit on temperature. Cold nights will make them bite later in the day after the water warms up.