Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: center pin tips  (Read 4190 times)

younggun

• Old Timer
Re: center pin tips
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2009, 10:31:59 PM »

trophy 9ft and 10ft light mooching rod, 8-15lb, i have the 10fter, my first pin rod, landed lots of fish
Fish killer 101

Nucks

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2009, 08:03:06 AM »

Welcome to the world of centerpins!

Whatever you do, do not go in blindly without ever using your pin and start fishing right beside someone. I started learning how to use a centerpin at a river where I knew there would be nobody and then moved onto the bigger systems once I got comfortable. Nothing worse that hitting up the vedder and having a newbie next to you using a centerpin. Learn to use a centerpin before you start hitting up the busy flows where its crowded unless you plan on fishing in an uncrowded section.

Once you learn how to use, you'll be able to stand right beside your buddy and fish all day long no problem. Be prepared, it is frustrating to start but it will get better. Enjoy!

BNF861

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2009, 08:03:44 PM »

What centerpin did you buy?

Biggest thing to remember is to let go and let it start to drop/spin a little before casting. I just switched to a centerpin at the end of salmon season. I bought a used avon and started out with that. Picked a peice of water that i had all to myself and just practiced. Not really looking to catch anything but just practice casting before i was next to a bunch of people. To tell you the truth, i was told to and expected a large learning curve but didn't find that the case. Within half an hour i had the hang of it no problem. After the first "real" day fishing, you would think i had been using it for a long time. Now, a couple months later, i have an islander centerpin and it just seems so natural like i have had it for years. Just got my first fish on the pin, a nice 10lb wild steelhead. What a feeling. I couldn't image using a levelwind anymore on the river.

Remember to practice first and have fun. Once you get the hang of it, you'll love it.