Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Scary practice  (Read 4417 times)

Prettyfly

• I have a website..
Scary practice
« on: April 21, 2006, 12:27:28 AM »

So i went out the other day to practice my fly casting. Just off the neighbours dock, the water level is still pretty low so no sizable fish close to our shore. With coaching I had gotten the hang of the back and forth motion without the fly attached so I was graduated to a fly..

Well.. after the first 5 or so practice casts I thought I was getting the hang of it. I do believe I had a few 'perfect' casts...And then the wind picked up a little. Yes, prior to the air was calm and I had full control of which side of my head the fly was going by. The wind picked up, causing little waves and tossling my hair and...I almost snagged myself in the head... so needless-to-say it was agreed that for safety sake, we would cut the hook part off of the fly.. The good thing is I'm learning first hand why its a good idea to practice fly casting with shades on..  :D

As excited as I am about learning to fly fish, I'm hesitant to try casting with a real fly hook again since that experience. Tonight though, with the 20 degree weather we've been having and the awesome water conditions, the lake was alive with all kinds of fish, little fish to medium sized fish. (It's only about 4ft deep as far as 100 yards out) Jumping out of the water and such. When the water is calm, like tonight, you have to look at the sky to check if it is raining because the minnows feed on the surface so much, it looks like rain drops.

I'm not sure about the carp, I know they aren't spawning yet, no symphony of splashes. I'll have to go on another walk about around the bay to see if I can spot any. I want to give carp a try but I'm scared because I just have a little trout rod and I'm not sure how my awesome can tire spin rod will hold up. I have zero experience actually catching a fish on a fly rod so I wouldn't know what to do the first time anyway. My fly fishing mentors are far away for the time being and it's too bad because it seems like now is a perfect opportunity to practice the actual catching part.

Fly fishing is so new to me. It is unlike any other type of fishing I grew up with. I want to do it right and be good at it... at least do it right. I think I'll go out on Saturday to the mouth of the creek and give it a real go. I'll be sure to go alone tho.. I don't want anyone to witness the new fly earrings I'll likely acquire... 8) I won't really learn how to set a hook until I learn how it feels when the fish gets away.
~They were displaced. Their use of the land and history as a people, such as it was known, was appropriated and used to advance competing European territorial interests.

~You've lived a life of privilage, one that was garnered by GREEDY thieves.

flyfisherman

• addicted to flyfishing
Re: Scary practice
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2006, 07:51:57 AM »

The wind can help or be a pain, if your casting right handed make sure the wind is comming from your left, cast the rod with a 2 o'clock angle, if it's straight up it will come back in your face.

When there is wind and no hook on your line cast in all directions, this would give you an idea of what your line does while casting in windy conditions.

have fun!
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2006, 09:11:16 AM »

Smart move taking the hook out to practice casting!  Its tough to do in the wind, everyone has that problem, when its really blowing just make sure the line blows away from you.  That will keep that hook from digging into you...and about the fish... beleive me, you'll figure out what to do quickly when you get a fish on...start with small ones as your quarry, the big ones you should take on the reel, small ones you can strip in.  You'll get the hang of it, just stick to it and soon you'll be more confident than you are with your spinning rod.

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2006, 10:35:22 AM »

hahaha sounds like you are having fun!!!!!  I am at the same point right now, just bought all my fly gear last year and I am kinda teaching myself how to cast it.. I am getting there slowly !!!!!

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2006, 08:09:25 PM »

Good idea to be wearing glasses when casting.

Prettyfly

• I have a website..
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2006, 09:05:08 AM »

Oh I'm having a blast. Thanks for the tid bits of info as well. I'm finding my wrist gets a little sore tho. I have weak wrists anyway so i was thinking I should probably wear my stabalizer. It'll be awkward but I learned how to bat with it on so I'm sure casting will be easy enough.

Yesterday morning there was a lone sucker fish right at the shore, back out of water just flip flopping around random like. That's a sure sign that the water is warming up quick. If I didn't have to work today I would be out there looking for carp.

~They were displaced. Their use of the land and history as a people, such as it was known, was appropriated and used to advance competing European territorial interests.

Ribwart

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2006, 09:31:56 AM »

That wrist will be tough as nails in no time!  ;)

johnny

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2006, 01:08:16 PM »

When I was learning to cast I never had to worry about the attached fly as I would snap it off in no time anyways!

:D
Never let the truth get in the way of a perfectly good story...

Stone

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2006, 04:56:07 PM »

I'm finding my wrist gets a little sore tho. I have weak wrists anyway so i was thinking I should probably wear my stabalizer. It'll be awkward but I learned how to bat with it on so I'm sure casting will be easy enough.

If you find that your wrist is getting tired or sore, then you're not casting properly.  When your casting motion is right, you shouldn't really have any wrist on it at all.  "Breaking" your wrist causes your rod tip to break the casting plane and does wierd things like hooking your cast or dumping your line in the water behind you.  I'm confident casting my 8wt or spey even in very blustery conditions, but I always wear sunglasses when casting to prevent eye injury.  Good luck!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2006, 04:58:27 PM by Stone »

Ribwart

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2006, 06:06:44 PM »

Heh Stone...same Stone from other parts?

Stone

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2006, 09:24:40 PM »

Heh Stone...same Stone from other parts?

Hi Ribwart...

The one and only.  ;D

Stone

Ribwart

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2006, 09:48:43 PM »

Good to "see" ya...  ;)

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2006, 08:42:21 PM »

my first time out i hooked my cheek, up by my eye...i've been wearing shades since... 8)

Eightball

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2006, 08:51:45 PM »

Pass lake looks nice and peaceful. What is the $250 reference about?

Prettyfly

• I have a website..
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2006, 08:36:39 PM »

If you find that your wrist is getting tired or sore, then you're not casting properly.  When your casting motion is right, you shouldn't really have any wrist on it at all.  "Breaking" your wrist causes your rod tip to break the casting plane and does wierd things like hooking your cast or dumping your line in the water behind you.  I'm confident casting my 8wt or spey even in very blustery conditions, but I always wear sunglasses when casting to prevent eye injury.  Good luck!

Ya I remember that rule.. I just seem to get lazy after a bit.. oddly my lazy seems to make for more work.. lol I'm thinking about those wrap around style sunglasses.... lol knowing me I'd hook my eye behind the shades