Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is it big enough?  (Read 3623 times)

RVT

Is it big enough?
« on: April 06, 2005, 08:52:50 PM »

It's been quite a few years since I last played on the Fraser in a cartop , and I'd like some advice. Would I be safe playing around in the Island 22 area with a 12 foot tin boat and my 8 horse  outboard, (2 people, about 300 lbs.) or am I trouble looking for a place to happen?  Obviously I won't go out during the freshet, but  early May to catch the Spring opening and later in the summer to avoid the flossers would be nice. I think I know the answer, but I still want the input of people who know the river.

Fishin Freak

• Old Timer
  • Get The Feeling, Toyota!
Re: Is it big enough?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2005, 09:01:59 PM »

I did the same thing last year with an old, old, old, old 10 HP and it was fine, flew up a river no problem, even through the Agassiz bridge! If you stay out of the fast water you should go pretty good.

DaN ThE MaN

• Old Timer
  • Darn she got away!!
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2005, 09:02:46 PM »

the size of the boat sounds good but 8 horse with 600 lb...i dunno one person sould be okay but 2 it will be a slow trip back upriver..

Dan

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2005, 09:40:47 PM »

The boat is far less of an issue, it's how good you are at handling it is what could be more of a problem. I can't talk on your driving abilities, but you want to be carful either way out there in a boat and engine that size.
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

See you all of the water,
Spudcote

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2005, 06:36:22 AM »

I had an old 40 Johnson on a boston whaler...it moved that boat like a NEW 20. 

Is your 8hp motor an old one RVT?  The new motors seem far more efficient and powerful than earlier vintages!

Fish freak your posting doesnt indicate the load in your boat (other than the driver), what was the loading in your boat?

8hp on the fraser with 2 big guys in a boat sounds like trouble to me!

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2005, 06:54:27 AM »

The water moves pretty quick past at the Island 22 launch. Take your boat out now with your partner and try it while the water is low. Go upstream first and I'm pretty sure you'll get frustrated pretty quick with your slow progress. Last year we watched two guys in a similar sized craft try to make it back up from grassy. The motor didn't have the juice to get the boat up on plane and they couldn't get upstream. Finally they found some slower water and SLOWLY zig-zagged their way back up. I'll bet they never came back on that unit.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2005, 03:31:53 PM »

In the old days before the age of the jet boat crowd the norm was a 12 foot boat with a 9.8 kicker.

I used it for many years hauling camping gear and the kids on many trips over the years. We made out fine and just had to make several trips at times. These were the good days when fishing was at a lot slower pace. The weekends were a time to look forward to and get away from the hustle of the work week.

Now it seems everyone is in such a hurry to get to the fishing spots. :(

If you are in no hurry and when going up river keep as close to the shore when possible. Just watch out for flying bounching betty's. ;D ;D Keep out of the main current and keep your equipment to the bare minimum and you should be ok if your motor is in good shape.

Fishin Freak

• Old Timer
  • Get The Feeling, Toyota!
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2005, 04:05:30 PM »

The load in my boat with two people and gear and all was about 340lbs. I disagree with the old motors having less power. The motor I was using had a lot more zip than other 9.9's I saw people using and I don't think that .1 HP makes all that huge a difference.

One thing you will want to be careful though is with a small boat without a depth sounder is bottoming out! Learn to read the water very carefully and it's a good idea to observe the channel you want to go up now to figure out where the main flow is. It of course changes with the freset but it can help you a bit because the main part generally stays the same.