Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: protest fishery  (Read 33961 times)

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
Re: protest fishery
« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2005, 01:26:36 PM »

I know you are right about FN is allocated a percentage of estimated returning stock, and counting stations are suppose to be there
to make sure over harvest does not occur for the fishing time granted.
But we all know salmon comes through Fraser River in different number at different time.
The inability to monitor number of fish caught, can lead to a vast miscalculation. (fishes end up 'missing')

But look at how many FN fishing boats been unloaded at non-designated areas and there is no CO, DFO, RCMP... to prosecute them?
Such as the boat launch Rodney and Chris photographed at Ladner, that park is less than 10 minutes away from RCMP office.

Unless officials can effectively monitor number of fish caught, they are granting FN fisheries by time not by number of fish.

agreed. what's written on paper does not reflect what is happening in real life. lack of monitoring and supervision will only render (future) forecasts, useless.

Double Underhooks

« Reply #46 on: August 26, 2005, 01:40:27 PM »

Seems like there are alot of members that devote alot of time and have good ideas for improvement to our fisheries management.
Has anyone every considered applying for employment with DFO? or better yet, run for political positions that can influence our fisheries management.

Despite having to face the internal culture of an agency, it still seems reasonable to try and change things from the INSIDE (if you have the expertise).

Just my $.02s

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #47 on: August 26, 2005, 01:51:43 PM »

Sit-in, and fasting?

No. but it is not logical to protest somethinging by destroying what you are protesting for.

Spoonman

• Chehalis Canyon Vigilante
« Reply #48 on: August 26, 2005, 02:03:10 PM »

So when they head-faked us with 5.0 mil =opening was there any mention of the overlapping runs and the 15% harvest limit on lates? And should they not have KNOWN where the harvest rate on lates was BEFORE they dangled the carrot?With test fishing taking enough fish to contribute significantly to that 15% you would think they would be on top of the #s and%s and genetics .And what are fisheries to address outstanding requirements.? Sorry but it seems either they really don't know what they are doing or they have known what they were going to do for a long time.
member; Jack Daniels Pro-Staff / member;Team Hardcore Old Fart

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #49 on: August 26, 2005, 02:06:13 PM »

Sit-in, and fasting?

No. but it is not logical to protest somethinging by destroying what you are protesting for.

I agree. Since fisherie openings is the bread and butter for commercial guys. I do believe a sit-in and fasting is kind of on the right topic.

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #50 on: August 26, 2005, 03:03:48 PM »

Anyone care to start a pool?

I say the summer runs  will come in at 7.5 million in the end.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
« Reply #51 on: August 26, 2005, 03:10:14 PM »

Anyone care to start a pool?

I say the summer runs  will come in at 7.5 million in the end.

doesn't matter at this point in time. even if it was to fall true, the late summer run will over lap with protected stocks. its done.

rln

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #52 on: August 26, 2005, 03:29:16 PM »

[
FYI, for a rec opening to happen:

• If the run size stays at 4.5M - no changes status quo
  • If run size is upgraded to 5.0M - Cdn TAC for com and rec is approx. 165k (rec share  approx 8k. Comm share approx 157)
  • If run size is upgraded to 5.5M - Cdn TAC for com and rec is approx. 375k (rec share  approx 19k Comm share approx 356)

apparently these are now incorrect numbers. 6.0m and no sport or commy fishing will take place. Not really sure what to think. FN still get to continue fishing. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #53 on: August 26, 2005, 03:30:17 PM »

I predicted earlier this year that DFO will predict a bumper crop of returning sockeyes, then lower the actual count due to hot temperatures and after everything is said and done will say that more sockeyes returned to their rivers than previously forecasted. How am I doing so far ? :D

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
« Reply #54 on: August 26, 2005, 03:40:07 PM »

I predicted earlier this year that DFO will predict a bumper crop of returning sockeyes, then lower the actual count due to hot temperatures and after everything is said and done will say that more sockeyes returned to their rivers than previously forecasted. How am I doing so far ? :D

hey pretty good. now you just have play the stock market ;D

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #55 on: August 26, 2005, 05:44:26 PM »

I just spoke with a local shop...if there is a protest fishery, the owner said we could advertise it there.

He said some very important things regarding the media...if a protest does happen and we arent organized and if we send out the wrong message to the media...sports fishers are screwed.

We need to be calm and decisive...We need one represnetative/spokeperson.

I am thinking I would like to BBQ a sockeye for dinner sunday night...anyone else hungering for sockeye?

Bantam_50

« Reply #56 on: August 26, 2005, 07:54:09 PM »

Bubba wants to know if it comes with a salad, a dinner roll and desert. Oh and a nice beverage to wash it down. :D

allwaysfishin

« Reply #57 on: August 26, 2005, 08:39:55 PM »

i want to make it VERY clear that I am in no way trying to be the piper or the organizer of a sport protest. At Berry's there is support of the idea and the reasons this has come to a head. I have been contacted by members of the commercial sector and have spent time on the phone today with a couple other shops in the valley.
Un officially there is to be a commercial protest, this sunday, in the lower fraser from the portmann to sandheads and in the marine approaches. I have also heard that there is a major commercial protest being organized out of cambell river area as well.
I have been inundated with calls of support and my email box is overflowing with responses to DFO's behavior and lack of control.
Being the voice of berry's fishing report ( 604 638 5899) I have become the guy everyone is calling to get the goods on this situation. I WILL NOT PRETEND TO HAVE A HANDLE ON THIS. I will only relay information as I get it.
I will tell you this,
there is general support for a tidal and non tidal recreation protest fishery,this sunday, who will organize this... well , no one person has stepped to the plate yet, I will be in Uculet sunday spankin Hali's so.....
my personal feelings on this are:
1) any person killing a sockeye by recreation methods needs only to KILL ONE to make a point of protest.
2) this person must be willing to not "hide" his catch, thus truly showing it as a protest action.
3) this person must be willing to be arrested for this action and to succumb peacefully to the authorities
     declaring the fish was killed in protest.
4) anyone who declares that they are harvesting sockeye in protest and continues to kill more than
    ONE fish is poaching in my opinion.

anyhow, DFO's notice today did state that though they will revisit the possibility of a recreation opening next week, that even though the run is continually being upgraded in numbers, a recreation opening is highly unlikely. The next meeting is of course after this sunday.

dangling the carrot again is all I see in DFO's message today, in hopes that folks will hold off from activism in the face of a "possible but highly unlikely" opening next week.
Whatever people decide to do this weekend... be smart, be safe, and remember if the media is out there, each one of you is a representative for the sportsfishers cause. If you kill a sockeye in protest.... please let it just be ONE.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #58 on: August 26, 2005, 10:28:26 PM »

My sympathy goes to the fish that are ready to complete the most celebratory part of their life cycle.

After all the disputes between four groups, the true victim as I said since the beginning, is the fish.

Anyways, just got a hold of Phil from the BC Fisheries Coalition, the protest fishery by commercial fishermen has been postponed to Wednesday as they want to give DFO a chance to fix the mess.

ocean_going

• fish on
« Reply #59 on: August 26, 2005, 11:14:27 PM »

well, I was on the river today and nothing but fish boats with nets all over the place what were they fishing for?