Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sea-Run Cutthroat and Tides  (Read 3690 times)

jon5hill

Sea-Run Cutthroat and Tides
« on: May 23, 2010, 10:28:43 AM »

Hey all,

Looking for some advice on sea-run cutthroat (SRC) trout fishing. I'm lucky enough to be in a place completely polluted with them, but accessible by boat only. My particular questions are:

1. Is there an ideal tide situation that works well fishing for SRC's?
2. Is there an ideal time of year that works best fishing for SRC's?

Thanks

Jon

CameronT120

Re: Sea-Run Cutthroat and Tides
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 12:20:45 PM »

There is an ideal tide, but it takes time to figure it out.  I'm not being evasive, it's just that each beach can be a little different.  Some work better on an incoming tide, some better on an outgoing.  Some can be fantastic during high tide while others are good on a low slack.  You have to go out and experiment a bit.  Keep a journal and record your times and tides, flies used, temperature, weather conditions, etc.  Look at the beaches during low tide and check for any structure that might hold fish during high tide.  Fish the tide rips, if you can.

Pick up these books, if you can.  They're full of really great information:

http://www.amazon.ca/Fly-Fishing-Coastal-Cutthroat-Trout-Conservation/dp/1571883339/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1274641843&sr=1-2

http://www.amatobooks.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=AmatobooksCom&Product_Code=9781571880611&Category_Code=

You can fish the beaches year round with success.  Again, once you get to know your beaches better, you may find that some are more productive during a particular time of year.  This is where keeping a journal comes in handy - you can refer to it and start seeing patterns of activity.

Good luck!

doja

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 02:42:05 PM »

Hey all,

Looking for some advice on sea-run cutthroat (SRC) trout fishing. I'm lucky enough to be in a place completely polluted with them, but accessible by boat only. My particular questions are:

1. Is there an ideal tide situation that works well fishing for SRC's?
2. Is there an ideal time of year that works best fishing for SRC's?

Thanks

Jon

Well again, I say this allot, where are you fishing roughly??? Rivers or salt... I'd think it makes a difference. And I think I know where you fishing, and I've seen them around there and have been thinking the exact same thing!!! If It's the river I see them during slack tide mostly on a high tide.

But in order to help you better you should email me the exact location... ;D

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 11:42:22 PM »

There is an ideal tide, but it takes time to figure it out.  I'm not being evasive, it's just that each beach can be a little different.  Some work better on an incoming tide, some better on an outgoing.  Some can be fantastic during high tide while others are good on a low slack.  You have to go out and experiment a bit.  Keep a journal and record your times and tides, flies used, temperature, weather conditions, etc.  Look at the beaches during low tide and check for any structure that might hold fish during high tide.  Fish the tide rips, if you can.

Pick up these books, if you can.  They're full of really great information:

http://www.amazon.ca/Fly-Fishing-Coastal-Cutthroat-Trout-Conservation/dp/1571883339/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1274641843&sr=1-2

http://www.amatobooks.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=AmatobooksCom&Product_Code=9781571880611&Category_Code=

You can fish the beaches year round with success.  Again, once you get to know your beaches better, you may find that some are more productive during a particular time of year.  This is where keeping a journal comes in handy - you can refer to it and start seeing patterns of activity.

Good luck!

No disrespect intended Cameron, but didn't you just catch your first sea run off the beach just about 6 weeks ago? While what you say is true in theory, I think as you log many more hours on the beach, and get fish under you belt, you can speak with greater surety.

Tides: the beach the I fish produces best on the flood tide, although there are certainly still fish to be had when it begins to ebb. I like to fish the beach with lots of water, when the tide is greater than 3 metres. Yes every beach could be different, however when I go exploring new waters, the flood/high tide is always my starting point.       

Season: I fish from spring to fall (April'ish to September). Summer is the most productive with June usually the best month on the beach that I frequent. This beach does not fish well mid winter, although there are some that do. If streams around a beach do not provide adequate mid winter flow the fish will head back to the sea after spawning and provide a mid winter fishery. If the nearby streams have adequate flow (and food sources) there will be a minimal winter beach fishery.

My recommendation: start with summer flood tides, see where it gets you, and then begin experimenting from there.     

CameronT120

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 08:28:59 AM »

Clarki,

I don't claim to know it all and only offered what I learned from fishing nearly every day and speaking with the locals who know the beaches better than I (this is how I know that 'my' beaches can be productive year round). I fish 4 different beaches and each one fishes differently than the other.  Two fish extremely well during the lower low tide and the incoming tide, but not so great during high tide.  Another fishes well during the incoming tide through high slack.  The fourth seems to be fishing decently during an incoming tide.  I tend to learn through practice, observation and by talking with those who I meet on the beaches I'm fishing.  I may not be as experienced as you, but I think I've learned a fair bit about fishing the beaches that I frequent.  I've learned enough that I'm able to be relatively successful.  Have I learned everything?  No way, not even close.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 03:09:43 PM »

No offense intended Cameron. I respect the vigour that you are putting into your quest for those little jewels. Good luck out there!

CameronT120

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 04:46:35 PM »

No offense intended Cameron. I respect the vigour that you are putting into your quest for those little jewels. Good luck out there!

No offense taken.  But I posted before I'd finished my first coffee so might have come across as a tad snarky.

On a good note, the wind cooperated enough for a couple of hours this afternoon to get some time in at the beach.