Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Spey rod?  (Read 8937 times)

fullahead

Spey rod?
« on: April 15, 2007, 09:41:33 AM »

I have been a bate caster all my life. I brought a Sage 6 wt, with an Islander lx 3.4 reels, last year, thinking I would use it for lake fishing. I went on a trip to the Skeena River last year, first week in August, right after the springs closed. It was my first trip up there, so I took my 6 wt as a spar rod. In one 6-hour day I caught 6 northern Coho on that 6-wt fly rod. That day was a turning point; I want to get into fly-fishing. I released every fish caught on that trip, and it was the best fishing trips ever.

I want to fish up there in August or September, for Coho, and steel head. I think I want to buy a 9 wt? Here my question fellows, if you could only buy one fly rod, would one get a one hand 9 wt or a spey rod. 

I am going to use that 6 wt on the pinks this year on the Fraser. I would like to try sockeye on a fly rod too, that would be a blast. I would sooner catch one sockeye on a fly rod than ten bottoms bouncing.

All this equipment cost a lot of money. The pros and cons on the two styles of fly-fishing, information would be appreciated.   

dennyman

• Old Timer
Re: Spey rod?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2007, 11:24:43 AM »

Also, there are some casting clinics coming up at the end of this month. One I believe being hosted by Reaction Fly and Tackle, where you can try out both single handed and spey rods. You will also be able to get instruction from experienced casters on the different style of casting for single handed and spey rods.  If you are going to be fishing big rivers such as the Fraser during salmon season then you may want to move up a couple of weights on the fly rod, just in case a chinook or chum salmon grabs a hold of your fly.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2007, 12:05:07 PM by dennyman »

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2007, 03:04:11 PM »

One cannot just own one rod. If you take up flyfishing you will soon own SEVERAL!!!

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Lumps

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2007, 04:49:26 PM »

It's addicting :P
Best 4 wheel drive I ever had was a company 2 wheel drive.

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2007, 09:25:49 PM »

The one thing about sticking with the larger single hand it will also be good for ocean fishing off the kelp beds for coho.   Mind you, when the fishing is slow on the river and you have to take a couple of hundered casts (including backcasts) you'll feel like you've been hit by a mac truck at the end of the day whereas with a spey you'll keep the fly in the water way, way more and it's far easier on the body.  You can also play the fish in alot harderand faster....something to remember if you're practicing C and R.

J.G.

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2007, 10:55:04 PM »

One cannot just own one rod. If you take up flyfishing you will soon own SEVERAL!!!

I second that.....you will own many.....

Fishing with a double handed flyrod is the most efficient way to swing flies for all salmonoids. The benefits far outweigh the drawbacks. Keep your 6wt for situations where stripping the fly is necessary, but for serious swinging you can't beat the double hander.

If you are thinking of heading up north again next year I would push your dates back a month or so. I like to head up there the last week of September and stay as long as possible. All the rivers are full of steelhead by October, and are very susceptible to the swung fly, and dry fly tactics. Plus the coho are still running if that interests you as well. This is my time of the year to become a "steelhead hippie". Following the runs on different rivers. No set schedule, with only one priority........STEELHEAD!

It's funny how coho are the "prize" locally in the fall. In the Skeena drainage hooking a coho while fishing for steelhead is akin to hooking a chum, while fishing for coho.

There is probably no better place for ease of access, and truly large northerns than the Lakelse River. It's the perfect size for your 6wt, although a 20lb coho would not be a great idea on such a light rod.

To cut your teeth with "steelhead on the fly", I would reccomend trying the Bulkley. Lot's of great access and very aggressive steelhead. The Copper, which is a short drive from the Lakelse is also another great steelhead river, although any amount of rain tends to put the river "out".
« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 08:27:59 AM by J.G. »

Sandhead

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2007, 08:07:13 AM »

I dont think you need to own several rods, I think you could easily get away with two rods, maybe three.

I would use the 6wt you have for lakes.

Then I would buy a 9wt Spey rod for moving waters. If you need a recommendation check out Echo rods. They are amazing rods and I don't think anything can touch them in there price category. The 9wt should be all you need for Steelhead on the northern streams.

If I were buying a third rod. I would think about a single handed 8wt for chasing coho, but I see that your already using your 6wt for that :).

As to where to fish for Steelies J.G's words ring true...
Ain't no HO like a COHO

J.G.

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2007, 08:30:00 AM »

I dont think you need to own several rods, I think you could easily get away with two rods, maybe three.

I would use the 6wt you have for lakes.

Then I would buy a 9wt Spey rod for moving waters. If you need a recommendation check out Echo rods. They are amazing rods and I don't think anything can touch them in there price category. The 9wt should be all you need for Steelhead on the northern streams.

If I were buying a third rod. I would think about a single handed 8wt for chasing coho, but I see that your already using your 6wt for that :).

As to where to fish for Steelies J.G's words ring true...

Fishing rods are like golf clubs..........There is a different one for every situation.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 08:34:04 AM by J.G. »

fullahead

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2007, 09:01:30 AM »

Thanks for the input guys. JG is there road access in to the Lakelse River, and the Bulkley. First week in October are the bears a problem.  If I want up with out the boat, could you get enough access to the rivers?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 09:41:30 AM by fullahead »

J.G.

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2007, 03:04:35 PM »

There is lot's of good road access on all the rivers I mentioned. Bears are always an issue when fishing up there. Black bears mainly, but there will always be a grizz or two around to keep you on your toes. Since the Lakelse will be full of salmon, it will also be full of bears, black and grizzlies. One thing to remember when fishing the Lakelse is that if you don't see any black bears it's because there is a grizz around.......make lot's of noise when walking, and always be aware of your surroundings. The Copper, and Bulkley Rivers do have salmon in them as well so bears will be present, but not on the same scale as the Lakelse. If you do venture into the upper Bulkley valley, especially the Morice river, be very careful of grizzlies. Multiple sightings everyday are common. My highest count last year was 9 black bears on the Kispiox in one day, and one was a mother with three cubs.

Of these three rivers the only one that you can run a boat on is the Bulkley. There are four different launches to fish different parts of the river. The river is split into sections for boating due to impassible sections. I must stress that you need a jet-boat, preferably in the 14'-18' range. Running a prop on this river is a recipe for disaster.

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2007, 12:29:30 PM »

From the Kispiox, big bears!

Cheers,
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

fullahead

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2007, 03:25:59 PM »

Nicole
            Good one, I needed a good laugh today.
             Thanks.

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2007, 04:01:29 PM »

bears scare the bejesus out of us city boys...I'd have a six shooter and a fat slow friend with me up there.. :D

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2007, 04:59:29 PM »

All you need is some bottled honey, just squirt your partner and run.

J.G.

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2007, 11:46:30 AM »

bears scare the bejesus out of us city boys...I'd have a six shooter and a fat slow friend with me up there.. :D

A six shooter will do you no good against these bad boys.  A 12gauge loaded with 3 1/2" slugs is your best bet. But I just carry a can of bear spray and hope for the best....lol. Plus I bring my dog, he hates bears and starts barking when he smells one, which is usually long before I see it. The fat friend is also a good bet. I saw something on the Lakelse a few years ago that made some sense, and was also great entertainment. There were three guys fishing on a peninsula when a black bear decided he wanted to make "friends". These guys had nowhere to go, so in hopes of scaring the bear away they fired a bear banger at it. The bear retreated back into the forest and they thought all was well. A few minutes later the same bear started making it's way towards the anglers again. So they fired another banger at the bear, but this time it only ran back to the tree line and started pacing back and forth watching these guys. Now the situation was getting fairly tense. These poor guys had nowhere to hide and the bear was VERY interested in them. As the bear started approaching them for the third time, they all started barking like dogs and the bear high tailed it back into the bush never to be seen again. Bears are not huge fans of dogs, obviously. Although I have heard stories of bears following a dogs scent, like they were stalking them.