Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: First ever salmon  (Read 6323 times)

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
Re: First ever salmon
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2021, 10:26:39 AM »

To me it’s not about the water levels as much as it it’s about low pressure with low lying clouds and rain. We usually get some July days like that and it just has not happened this year.

I hope a 40C heat dome does not become the norm I never want to live though that again.

Funny though a couple weeks ago was workin on the boat in the driveway nabour drives by and says don’t bother fishing in the ocean, we’re slaying them on the vedder!!!

It’s good to see this hatchery stock getting used.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2021, 09:46:44 AM »

Great story, Rod.

I see that the young lady holding the salmon has taken a page from KK's Book of Fish Handling...

Rule #1: always hold a silver salmon with hands that have bright fingernail polish.   

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2021, 11:00:12 AM »

This picture is a good opportunity to ask - does anyone know with some certainty what the marks are on the side of the fish?  I have consistently seen that pattern on other fish - 2 overlapping arcs. Seal bite?

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2021, 11:34:03 AM »

This picture is a good opportunity to ask - does anyone know with some certainty what the marks are on the side of the fish?  I have consistently seen that pattern on other fish - 2 overlapping arcs. Seal bite?

More likely is the gill net marking

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2021, 12:10:55 PM »

"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2021, 01:22:38 PM »

Several years ago I posted this pic of a late November coho from the C/V with similar markings. In the case of my fish, the marking were just a bit forward on the body than the salmon pic in the OP, were orange'ish in colour and were on both sides of the body.

Members speculated a seal bite or eagle talons. I can't say with some certainty, but my opinion was (and is) net marks
« Last Edit: July 26, 2021, 01:28:25 PM by clarki »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2021, 09:08:57 PM »

Great story, Rod.

I see that the young lady holding the salmon has taken a page from KK's Book of Fish Handling...

Rule #1: always hold a silver salmon with hands that have bright fingernail polish.   

;D

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2021, 09:29:21 AM »

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2021, 12:12:50 PM »

Several years ago I posted this pic of a late November coho from the C/V with similar markings. In the case of my fish, the marking were just a bit forward on the body than the salmon pic in the OP, were orange'ish in colour and were on both sides of the body.

Members speculated a seal bite or eagle talons. I can't say with some certainty, but my opinion was (and is) net marks
Hmm.
Not sure I've ever seen a net squeeze the belly of a fish , upper shoulders of a fish , yes .Or nets marks from top to bottom from being strangled from nets. You must be thinking of the belly snatcher gillnets they're testing now  ;D ;D ;D ;)
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2021, 12:48:14 PM »

Well, it’s a more plausible explanation than a lingcod bite 😀

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2021, 08:15:50 AM »

those marks look to close together to be from a seal. Seal strikes or bites usually leave a gaping wound. Those look too superficial to me - likely the fish has rubbed it itself against something or perhaps a bite from another fish such as a member of the school it's traveling with. Count me as skeptical of the missed seal strike hypothesis. Ditto for eagles.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2021, 09:30:33 AM »

those marks look to close together to be from a seal. Seal strikes or bites usually leave a gaping wound. Those look too superficial to me - likely the fish has rubbed it itself against something or perhaps a bite from another fish such as a member of the school it's traveling with. Count me as skeptical of the missed seal strike hypothesis. Ditto for eagles.
A bite from another salmon had not occurred to me, but I believe that fits both the shape of the bite and the size.  Certainly they bite each other quite a bit out of dominance, we see the scars later in the season especially on the tail.

bkk

• Good fishing is earned by hard work.
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2021, 04:08:45 PM »

Have seen that mark on countless salmon over the years.  Seals have very sharp claws on the end of there flippers and I believe those are claw marks from when the seal tried to grab the salmon before it could sink it's teeth in.

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2021, 10:03:05 AM »

Friend sent me a picture of a chinook caught yesterday in Shuswap lake with the exact same marks as that young girls fish only much farther back. Overlapping arcs. My guess is another chinook did the biting.