Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: First ever salmon  (Read 6322 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
First ever salmon
« on: July 23, 2021, 06:59:50 PM »

I spent a few hours yesterday morning checking out what
Sumas First Nation's stock assessment team was doing so I could learn more about it. We’ll save that discussion for another day because that’s not what this post is about.

When I arrived, a couple of kids were quite excited to see me as they watch Fishing with Rod’s videos. I also had a brief chat with their dad Shariq who told me that he had just started fishing here last year.

While filming the stock assessment team, Shariq’s daughter Shanzay got into a fish and with her dad’s guidance she brought it in pretty quickly. It turned out to be her first ever salmon and what a bright looking chinook salmon it was! I’m glad that I was there to capture the moment.

Anyway, Shariq and I had a long conversation afterward and I found out that they have only been in BC for less than a couple of years. Me being an immigrant from 25+ years ago and him being a new immigrant, the conversation quickly shifted to what we think about this place and we both agree that you couldn’t really ask for a safer country to settle in than Canada. Where else could we drive our vehicles to a FREE parking lot and walk a short distance down to the river bank, and catch fresh salmon in clean water, by simply purchasing a fishing licence which costs around $50 per year? 🤯

Anyway, despite of enduring through over a year of pandemic, facing challenges in our fisheries and struggling with wildfires in this province, we are pretty lucky to be stuck in this little corner of the world. Have a great weekend.

bj23

Re: First ever salmon
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2021, 08:07:41 PM »

Great story, Rod - every which way. Thanks for sharing.

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2021, 08:28:24 PM »

Thanks for this feel-good post! She looks very pleased :D

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2021, 08:37:20 PM »

A sea bright fish on the bank and not another angler in the sight! thanks Rod.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2021, 08:38:43 PM »

A sea bright fish on the bank and not another angler in the sight! thanks Rod.

Well... I should post a photo of what was going on behind me too.... haha... ;D

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2021, 09:33:08 PM »

That's a super day for that family and they will remember that moment forever.  Good stuff!

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2021, 09:46:50 PM »

Well... I should post a photo of what was going on behind me too.... haha... ;D

your enormous production crew?
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2021, 09:56:16 PM »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2021, 10:53:22 PM »

Good grief :o

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2021, 07:26:25 AM »

that certainly looks like a sustainable fishery to me!

Aki

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2021, 08:56:14 AM »

Excellent post….Every time I go fishing, no matter the weather, or crowds or lack thereof, it is a blessing to be living here…I have lost a rod and reel to a chinook (tripped), lost a camera and lens to a coho (camera fell in the water when putting the coho in a protected area and got wet), lost a cell phone to a slammed trunk lid, but considering everything gained from fishing in the lower mainland, a small price to pay! I have met many fishers over the years, some of whose names I even remember from year to year! I started fishing with my son when he graduated from school, finding something to do when all the school sports were done, and never looked back. Been a member of this forum for a very long time (remember when there was an annual fee?)…keep up the good work Rod….

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2021, 12:13:56 PM »

Heard there has been a lot caught this year. I’m sure the fact that there has been no rain for the last 30 days helps.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2021, 01:40:45 PM »

Heard there has been a lot caught this year. I’m sure the fact that there has been no rain for the last 30 days helps.
The fish this year are holding up, somewhat abnormal behavior for this stock. Low water could very well be a factor.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2021, 05:48:25 PM »

Now if that doesnt make you smile...... :)

avid angler

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2021, 05:52:06 PM »

I kind of disagree. If anything the fish have started moving more since the waters been getting lower. They were even more condensed earlier in the month when the water was still high. What’s happening in the lower river this season is an anomaly and I would be very surprised if we see the fish behave like this more then once every few seasons