Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Coho Salmon in my favorite lake!  (Read 2681 times)

SpringMaster

• Fish is on...life is good!
Coho Salmon in my favorite lake!
« on: December 04, 2009, 02:36:19 PM »

Today, after a long break from the rivers and lakes, I walked to my favorite local lake (which shall remain unknown for obvious reasons), and I was looking to see if I could spot any Carp swimming around.  To my surprise I found a dead salmon about 30 feet out in shallow water and I couldn't tell if it was a Coho or Chum.
Then I kept walking down the stream that flows into the lake and I just stood on a bridge and stared at the water which was gin clear.  To my surprise I saw a rather large Coho, red with some white spots on, swimming around all by itself.  I was waiting to see if there are couple or just this one fish alone.  I didn't see any other fish and this poor Coho seemed quited spooked and it was going in circles over a 20 feet range.

It was nice to see Coho in the lake, which I never thought they would make it up there, but I hope the numbers would be much larger. :)

Just curious, do Coho spawn in the lakes too? ???

Thx
<º))))><`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´¯<º))))><<º))))>< `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´¯<º))))><¯`·.¸,.·´¯¯`·.¸,.·´¯¯`·.¸,.

<º))))><      Always        sharpen        your          hooks! <º))))><·.¸¯ ¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´<º))))>< `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸<º))))><.·´¯<º))))><¯`·.¸,.·´¯¯`·.¸,.

Every Day

• Old Timer
Re: Coho Salmon in my favorite lake!
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 04:08:27 PM »

Could it have been a sockeye you saw? The also spawn in lakes and take on the red colour...
And as far as I know all salmon will spawn in lakes.
If you go to Harrison Lake chum spawn all along those beaches.

Bavarian Raven

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 04:14:04 PM »

Today, after a long break from the rivers and lakes, I walked to my favorite local lake (which shall remain unknown for obvious reasons), and I was looking to see if I could spot any Carp swimming around.  To my surprise I found a dead salmon about 30 feet out in shallow water and I couldn't tell if it was a Coho or Chum.
Then I kept walking down the stream that flows into the lake and I just stood on a bridge and stared at the water which was gin clear.  To my surprise I saw a rather large Coho, red with some white spots on, swimming around all by itself.  I was waiting to see if there are couple or just this one fish alone.  I didn't see any other fish and this poor Coho seemed quited spooked and it was going in circles over a 20 feet range.

It was nice to see Coho in the lake, which I never thought they would make it up there, but I hope the numbers would be much larger.

it depends on where they were born. where they were born is where they die. i don't suppose u could PM me the lake, i promise to keep it a secret. but now u got my curiosity burning ::)

SpringMaster

• Fish is on...life is good!
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2009, 04:55:11 PM »

That's interesting.  I didn't know they spawn in lakes too; I always assumed they only spawn in little streams where they were born.
This lake is in lower mainland and I have only seen Carp live in it before.

The fish I saw swimming was definitely a Coho.  It had the Coho red color not the Sockeye red color.  It was a red dark Coho.  But the dead one was all white and the shape was not quite clear what it was.

I'm afraid I have to leave this lake unnamed for anyone just to leave it alone from salmon fishermen.  :D  It's really not a place to go salmon fishing in it specially with only a few showing up in there.

Thx  :)
<º))))><`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´¯<º))))><<º))))>< `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´¯<º))))><¯`·.¸,.·´¯¯`·.¸,.·´¯¯`·.¸,.

<º))))><      Always        sharpen        your          hooks! <º))))><·.¸¯ ¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´<º))))>< `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸<º))))><.·´¯<º))))><¯`·.¸,.·´¯¯`·.¸,.

living_blind

• My Band - Kilmore Place
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2009, 07:05:33 PM »

It would likely have spawned in the creek itself. All species of salmon will enter through lakes to get to their natal stream. As far as spawning in the lakes themselves, I believe only if there is an inflow does this occur.

GoldHammeredCroc

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2009, 05:32:08 PM »

Does your lake have access to the sea?  If so, salmon will certainly swim up to the lake and hold while ripening and then drop back into the creek to spawn.  Salmon, like chum and sockeye, will spawn in lakes especially in areas where there is some groundwater upwelling.