Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: fly fishing gear tip  (Read 2078 times)

fishingbuddha

• Fishingbuddha
fly fishing gear tip
« on: October 05, 2009, 08:41:35 PM »

i am heading up the yakoun to try some fly fishing for steelhead. i have fly fished for years for trout and salmon but not for steelhead. 
i have a 12t 10wgt custom bill lynch fly rod (fenwick) and i have a islander reel 9/10wgt. i was wondering if anyone can give me some advice on the type of fly line to get. i am thinking multi tip rio fly line. any suggestions would help.
while you are at it, any tips on some good flies?
thanks
I hope that when i die, my wife doesn't sell all my fishing equipment for what i told her i bought it for!

ABSTEELHDR

Re: fly fishing gear tip
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 09:22:40 AM »

The Yakoun is paradise.  It is however, a little confined for your chosen fly rod.  As well, the steelhead are only in the 4 to 10 pound category so you may also feel that you are a bit overgunned.  I would reccomend a more standard length and weight such as a 9 foot 8 weight with a versa tip.  Be prepared to fish single egg patterns under an indicator with roll casts from the bank as much of the river is not wadeable.  It is a pleasant mix of riffles and slots with lots of logs and debris on the bottom. 
The river bank is un cut in most places and a break to eat a sandwich with your back against at 200 year old tree is worth the trip all by itself.  Paradise.

fishingbuddha

• Fishingbuddha
Re: fly fishing gear tip
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 08:23:09 PM »

thanks for the tips.  :D looking forward to the trip.
I hope that when i die, my wife doesn't sell all my fishing equipment for what i told her i bought it for!