Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Green Timbers lake  (Read 7253 times)

small_fish

• Hi!
Green Timbers lake
« on: October 18, 2009, 06:19:17 AM »

Hey I have never fished this lake before, and want to give it a try, does it usually get fished out fast and I'm guessing float fishing is the best method at this lake?

UFC

Re: Green Timbers lake
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 07:47:25 AM »

You can also fish it successfully with smaller lures (i.e. spinners), fly fishing, and plunking bait on the bottom (ie. power bait, worms).
Based on the last stocking update it looks like they just put in some good sized fish, so it would be good to get out there sooner rather than later because your best chances to hook these ones will be in the week or two after stocking.

FishOn36

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 10:38:49 AM »

Fishing with a float or on the bottom is best. Bottom fishing leads to a lot of catfish though..some so small you won't even know it's there, but in fact it's swallowed your hook LOL
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 11:34:49 AM by FishOn36 »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 10:53:40 AM »

Here's a blog entry from Green Timbers last October.

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/blog/?p=50

All of the techniques being suggested work, but in fall, the lake can be quite weedy after the summer so lure fishing can be bit of a hassle because you'd be hooking a lot of weed. Bottom fishing works well too, but again you'd run into the same problem if weed is abundant. Float fishing would be best as you can cast into areas that are clear of weed. The east shoreline is best for float fishing than south because of the depth change.

The lake does not get fished out easily unlike popular beliefs. Samplings have been done in the past that shows a good percentage of fish survive through the summer.

Expect more stockings in the near future.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2009, 04:39:30 PM »

I was just at Green Timbers today and landed 5 and missed a load of hits. Sure was nice to feel a tug on the light fly gear again  ;D
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

FishOn36

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2009, 05:58:17 PM »

I was just at Green Timbers today and landed 5 and missed a load of hits. Sure was nice to feel a tug on the light fly gear again  ;D

Nice, what kind of size were the ones you landed?

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2009, 06:03:00 PM »

well they sis just stock it with some average 540gram sized fish which put a good tug on the 5wt  ;D it was nice seeing the indicator go down a few times this afternoon.

I think 540grams is close to a pound and half right ?? not exactly sure ....... or really care LOL
Check out our new blog

whereismyfloat

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2009, 09:58:30 PM »

Hook,

Were  you tossing flies from shore or in a tube/pontoon? Just curious as to back casting ability. Never been there.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2009, 10:08:09 PM »

you CANNOT enter the water in that lake.Wether it is by foot or boat. If your seen by the bylaw people they will give you a ticket. Casting is fine if you can cast, alot of the time you dont need a very far cast to catch fish. I fly fish only at this lake so if you see me there and would like some fly casting pointers or pointers on some flies that work well there dont hesitate to come over and chat me up.

If you have never seen me before i normally have my dog (pug) with me when im fishing. of course he doesnt fish with me for winter steelies but thats the only time he isnt with me LOL

also the regs at the lake are 4 fish now but are changing to a daily limit of 2 come April 1st 2010 so please remember this. I catch and release everything there unless it will die and the eagle is lurking for lunch  ;D

Im pretty sure somewhere on this site i have mentioned already my favourite and most productive fly on this lake......might be worth using the search function for  ;)

Oh and about not being allowed in the water. walking in a couple steps with rubbers boots on is a no. using a radio control boat in the lake is a no. letting your dogs swim in the lake is a no, and anything else you can think of. This offense might only net you a warning but usually they just had out a $150 fine instead of bothering with warnings.
Check out our new blog

small_fish

• Hi!
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2009, 01:48:07 PM »

Thanks for the info guys
hooked into 2, but released both
didn't have my license on me so i realeased and only stayed for an hour and a bit.
Don't like the lake that much, its too far for me =[

hookme

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2009, 06:27:51 PM »

Hey Hook, What time do you usually go there i might ask for a few pointer on the fly just recently bought ..Thanks!

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2009, 09:28:41 PM »

I will be there on Tuesday from 1pm until 4pm at the latest. My dad was up tonight but didnt arrive until around 530pm and he only managed 1 fish to hand but missed a few  ::)

Im thinking this time of year midday is the best time now if you want results.
Check out our new blog

whereismyfloat

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2009, 04:44:20 PM »

Spent two hours this afternoon and had some fun. Hook into 4 fish. Landed two, lost one outright and one to the cattails. Two decent little fish. Hook, thanks for the heads up on patterns although I didn't end up going with the chronies. I tied a few flies last night that I wanted to try and they seemed to work well.