Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: National park reserve in South Okanagan-Similkameen gets green light  (Read 5321 times)

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....

At Osoyoos, Parks Canada announced that a memorandum of understanding towards the creation of the park reserve had been signed between federal and provincial governments and local First Nations.

According to Parks Canada, the national park reserve will encompass 273 square kilometres in the Mount Kobau, Spotted Lake, Kilpoola areas of the South Okanagan and Similkameen, including BC Park’s South Okanagan Grasslands Protected Area.

https://globalnews.ca/news/5452204/national-park-reserve-in-south-okanagan-similkameen-gets-green-light/

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
Re: National park reserve in South Okanagan-Similkameen gets green light
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2019, 01:07:29 PM »

A lot of the local landowners were (and are) VERY resistant to having their lands included. There are a myriad of reasons, but a lot focus on activities that Parks will deny within their eventual fences.

The BC Wildlife Federation was (and is) adamantly opposed:  https://bcwf.bc.ca/initiatives/opposing-the-south-okanagan-national-park-reserve/

From what I have been able to determine, the local opposition actually outweighed support. Yet the Feds and Provincial governments, backed by the local FN's (realizing a Private Hunting Reserve after all) pushed it through anyway.

Nog

StillAqua

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2019, 07:37:00 PM »

From what I have been able to determine, the local opposition actually outweighed support. Yet the Feds and Provincial governments, backed by the local FN's (realizing a Private Hunting Reserve after all) pushed it through anyway.

Nog

Just the opposite, which surprised me. We live up here now and attended the public consultations and opposition was underwhelming (except for a few disrespectful "no" protestors that didn't help their cause). Even looking at the results of the non-random online survey, which is usually swamped by opposition forces rallying to the cause, of the only 41% that voiced any concerns about a park, restricted use/access and hunting/fishing were only raised by 14% and 8% respectively. We're clearly a small and shrinking part of the outdoors community up here. Even the ranchers seemed somewhat placated by assurances their crown grazing rights are safe. I suspect some are looking at Parks Canada's land buyout as a long-term option.

I think if the park proposal had been raised before 1990 when the demographics of the south Okanagan began to rapidly change, it would have been a non starter. I've had a hard time finding another fisherman amongst the hoards of us wine-swilling retirees.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2019, 09:20:11 AM »

Weren't most of the local fishing lakes left out of the National Park? Some were established as Provincial parks or eco-preserves since the Province will stock lakes in a park but Parks Canada will not.

Noticed that prior to yesterday's announcement, the BCWF did not even reach 10% of the target on their opposition letter.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2019, 10:20:53 AM »

Weren't most of the local fishing lakes left out of the National Park? Some were established as Provincial parks or eco-preserves since the Province will stock lakes in a park but Parks Canada will not.

Noticed that prior to yesterday's announcement, the BCWF did not even reach 10% of the target on their opposition letter.
Sawmill?

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2019, 12:07:37 PM »

20 years ago the conspiracy world was sounding the alarm of massive land grabs by FN, nature conservancies/Trusts and parks. They warned us that in the future people will have nowhere else to roam except for cities and towns. A way to control the population and monitor the population. I always find the odd theory interesting. Some end up being true. I hope not this one.

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2019, 01:55:03 PM »

... Some end up being true. I hope not this one. 

You may want to do a little looking at Agenda 21 - something that Trudeau is in FULL SUPPORT of.

Nog

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2019, 04:35:34 PM »

20 years ago the conspiracy world was sounding the alarm of massive land grabs by FN, nature conservancies/Trusts and parks. They warned us that in the future people will have nowhere else to roam except for cities and towns. A way to control the population and monitor the population. I always find the odd theory interesting. Some end up being true. I hope not this one.

Not conspiracy and it goes back to the UN well over 30 or more years.

Australia, New Zealand, Canada and to some extent the US are all dealing with various forms of it.  Harper wanted no part of it, JT loves the UN.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2019, 04:43:15 PM »

..and also endorsed by 177 other Governments...it's all about sustainability so I understand why you don't seem to support it 'Nog.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agenda_21

https://skeptoid.com/episodes/4465
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 04:48:51 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2019, 05:38:03 PM »

..and also endorsed by 177 other Governments...it's all about sustainability so I understand why you don't seem to support it 'Nog.

Why am I not at all surprised by your take on that Ralphie Ol' Boy?

Unfortunately for you, your hero will be gonzo come October.
And I can't wait!

Cheers!
Nog

StillAqua

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2019, 05:46:37 PM »

Anti-Agenda 21 conspiracy theories have circulated in the U.S. Some Tea Party movement activists and others promoted the notion that Agenda 21 was part of a UN plot to deny property rights, undermine U.S. sovereignty, or force citizens to move to cities.[21][22][9][16][23] Activists believed that the non-binding UN resolution was "the linchpin in a plot to subjugate humanity under an eco-totalitarian regime."[22] The conspiracy theory had its roots in anti-environmentalist ideology and opposition to land-use regulation.[23] Agenda 21 fears have played a role in opposition to local government's efforts to promote resource and land conservation, build bike lanes, and construct hubs for public transportation.[21]

Seriously, keep it real. It's a bloody proposal for a park, not a harbinger of a zombie apocalypse or the end of days.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2019, 05:56:15 PM »

Why am I not at all surprised by your take on that Ralphie Ol' Boy?

Unfortunately for you, your hero will be gonzo come October.
And I can't wait!

Cheers!
Nog

...and in the mean time you jump on board any whack-job nut-bar conspiracy theory that seems to oppose him .... sounds about right.

Agenda 21 is the favorite conspiracy theory of a lot of nut cases. The answer is No. Agenda 21 is nothing but a voluntary framework for sustainable development in the third world. Canada is a first world, not a third world country and Agenda 21, which was written in 1996, has no application here. All sorts of tinfoil hat wearers dream up all sorts of nonsense about Agenda 21 that simply is not true.

BTW Agenda 21 has been replaced by Agenda 2030....you are so yesterday

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2019, 07:19:22 PM »

Anti-Agenda 21 conspiracy theories have circulated in the U.S. Some Tea Party movement activists and others promoted the notion that Agenda 21 was part of a UN plot to deny property rights, undermine U.S. sovereignty, or force citizens to move to cities.[21][22][9][16][23] Activists believed that the non-binding UN resolution was "the linchpin in a plot to subjugate humanity under an eco-totalitarian regime."[22] The conspiracy theory had its roots in anti-environmentalist ideology and opposition to land-use regulation.[23] Agenda 21 fears have played a role in opposition to local government's efforts to promote resource and land conservation, build bike lanes, and construct hubs for public transportation.[21]

Seriously, keep it real. It's a bloody proposal for a park, not a harbinger of a zombie apocalypse or the end of days.

All okay till it comes to your favourite hunting or fishing spot

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2019, 11:08:42 AM »

...it's all about sustainability so I understand why you don't seem to support it 'Nog.

Yep, I guess it is possible that Fishing w Rod's self acclaimed expert on everything might understand sustainability somewhat better than a former Canadian CITES Delegate and continuous member of the Sustainable Use Committee since the early 90's.

Carry on...   ;D
Nog