Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Where is the good point for trout in Mill Lake?  (Read 5248 times)

vancook

• Old Timer
Re: Where is the good point for trout in Mill Lake?
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2010, 05:35:19 PM »

personally if Im using a float on a lake I use deli shrimp, dew worms or single cure eggs...altho those eggs dont last long
If I'm fishing from the bottom, especially right after a stocking, I use power bait as it floats off the bottom.
best of luck out there. give it 2 more months and there will be new fishies in the water

ssd0904

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2010, 06:39:38 PM »

Im ain't waitin 2 months yo. Im prob goin like at Februrary ;D Thanks very much, anyways.

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2010, 07:11:45 PM »

That's not what I meant. Just saying in about 2 months they will start stocking the urban lakes again
I was at Rice Lake myself last weekend

ssd0904

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2010, 08:13:13 PM »

Ye i was at Mill Lake last week but failed :P W/e yo, gl to you, catch a big one yo. When you go fishin to Mill Lake, pm me or something so we can meet up there yo.

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2010, 09:27:26 PM »

for sure man lol
I don't know if I'll be driving all that way anytime soon. But I want to hit it up for some largemouth bass inthe spring lol

jon5hill

« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2010, 10:34:31 AM »

Personally I avoid using a sliding float when targeting catchable rainbow trout in Lower Mainland lakes because it is unnecessary most of the time. Most spots are shallow enough that a fixed float with a depth set at 4 to 5ft is sufficient enough. Although the advantage of a sliding float is the ability to fish much deeper water, I find that you need to use bigger floats and weights so the weight is heavy enough to keep the line sliding down until the float hits the top stopper. The combination of big float, big weight and longer float depth means that the sensitivity is reduced. When the 250g trout bites, it'd be hard to notice. Because these fish are not very big, I prefer to use the smallest float possible while still having enough weight that allows me to get some distance when casting. If I wish to fish at the depth of 10, 20 or 30ft, I would simply use a bottom rig. Either a sliding weight above the hook or a fixed weight below the hook would work well.

Good luck.

Rod,

I use a small balsa wood thill non-fixed float with a single ps-5 splitshot which balances it correctly. 4 lb mainline and a float stop fixed on the line. I have mid range casting distance and I've never once had an issue with the weight not being heavy enough to keep the line sliding down. I also find that fixed floats are good for lakes such as lafarge or como lake, as the water for he most part doesn't exceed 4 meters in depth. When fishing a variety of lakes, say for example fishing lafarge, sasamat, buntzen, and como lake. You would not be so successful fishing with a fixed float as you are restricted to the depth that equals as far you can hang line behind you to cast. I find float stops very effective for fishing in lower mainland trout lakes, especially when you do not fish the same lake all the time as you do not need to redo your setup anew each time you go fishing.

Jon

ssd0904

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2010, 02:17:17 PM »

I dono i have a 15g float because Mill Lake's current seems so fast i put like 5 medium size split shots. So then it works perfectly.

jon5hill

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2010, 07:14:31 PM »

I dono i have a 15g float because Mill Lake's current seems so fast i put like 5 medium size split shots. So then it works perfectly.

Use lighter gear and you'll have more success at hooking fish. Once your gear is down low and the fish bite your rig consistently, you want to maximize the sensitivity of your float and corresponding weight. You will find that the same amount of fish bite as with a big float, but that you will hook many more. The reasoning is that the fish will commit to your presentation if the line, weight, and float are lighter as there is less resistance generated by float buoyancy. Trout are predatory so they hit hard, but if they feel something weird like tension pulling on them they will not commit as hard to your presentation. I use the lightest gear possible - I can literally sit and watch my float go under the fish are so unassuming that they hook themselves - all I have to do is reel in.