Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2015/16 Chilliwack River steelhead fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 300167 times)

Nicolas The Fisherman

River in great shape now. Lots of guys out there too. The cold and dry weather expected over the next few days will only improve things.

wizard

I've been enjoying using my spinning setup this season and will continue to do so.  I like the versatility of being able to drift open bailed and switching to spoons or spinners with ease...

If you look down on a fisherman because of their gear then you are obviously ignorant and it also says something about your personality...Hearing elitists snicker about someone else's gear choice just gives me more incentive to hook fish above said 'elitists' with 'inferior' gear.

It's not what you use but how you use it, if you can't figure that out then you have lots to learn.

greyghost

• Poach the poacher!

« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 03:47:42 PM by greyghost »
Have you talked too someone for a while and thought too yourself.......
"who ties your shoelaces for you"

losos

Totally agree with you....I love fishing with my centerpin, but there's been days when I wished I'd brought my level wind instead. Try fishing 6 hours straight without stopping...your arms and wrist feel like lead after casting and retrieving hundreds of times...worse when you don't get a sniff.
Either your are a weakling ,no offence or ,or your setup is badly balanced. I have 11'3" rod with pin reel and fished well over 6 hours straight and never got tired.

losos

River in great shape now. Lots of guys out there too. The cold and dry weather expected over the next few days will only improve things.
Just came back and neither me , my friend or others that I saw caught one fish. Tried worms ,eggs and metal with no positive result.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season

Either your are a weakling ,no offence or ,or your setup is badly balanced. I have 11'3" rod with pin reel and fished well over 6 hours straight and never got tired.

my set up is a loomis 11'4 rod and campbell reel...very light...I'm getting on in years and of course when steelheading i'm including bushwacking and kms of river exploration...compound that with my 200 lb frame and bad back...and well...you get the picture.

no offense taken, reality is I'm not the same person I was 20 years ago.

SilverChaser

Ive gotten the head shake and the "you know they wont hit that this time of year" when I come in with my spinning set up a couple times now. Im still honing the spinning setup but did get the satisfaction of plucking a dime bright 12+/-lb wild out from behind 3 headshakers last year.
Too early. No fish in the river. They won't bite. Go home.  ;D
Freestone Fly Co Ambassador
Halieus Outdoors Team Member

Nicolas The Fisherman

Just came back and neither me , my friend or others that I saw caught one fish. Tried worms ,eggs and metal with no positive result.
Fish are still pretty few and far between. Once January rolls around, the chances of encountering one increases greatly.

stsfisher

I've been enjoying using my spinning setup this season and will continue to do so.  I like the versatility of being able to drift open bailed and switching to spoons or spinners with ease...

If you look down on a fisherman because of their gear then you are obviously ignorant and it also says something about your personality...Hearing elitists snicker about someone else's gear choice just gives me more incentive to hook fish above said 'elitists' with 'inferior' gear.

It's not what you use but how you use it, if you can't figure that out then you have lots to learn.

Pretty sure everything said about elitists and inferior gear was used in a sarcastic manner. Totally agree that you should use what's comfortable for you, not others.

John Revolver

Well, at least it wasn't a guy with a spinning rod. ::)

SPIN GEAR!!?! EEEWWW

whenever I see some dead-beat beak break out a spin rod in the same run that I am working I immediately pack up and head back to the truck in disgust. I would never EEEEVER lower myself to fish in the vicintiy of such a noob.

Im usually so shook up by this that I usually have to make a stop over at Freds and re-charge up on my river-snob cred and I will most likely purchase some simms gear or better yet, a SAGE STICKER ,to put on my truck so EVERYONE! will know that I am a TOP ROD. I mean, so what if I havent landed a steel since 2012??.  The run is getting worse and worse every year....

:P

John Revolver

Woah guys, "levelwind larry" came out of pure frustration... Sorry to anyone I offended. No harm done.

lol.  no harm done at all. I'm pretty sure we are all just having a sarcastic laugh.  "Levelwind Larry" "Fly rod frank" "Spey rod steve" are all pretty hilarious.

I better duck out of this now before someone chimes in with the usual :  "can we get back to water reports now please" 

searun17

• Old Timer

Shoot i been fishing steelhead on the vedder using a handline and safety pin baited with garden worms for over 30 years,isnt this normal ;D
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 06:22:36 PM by searun17 »
Our kids are the future of our sport,take them fishing,teach them well and the rewards will be many.

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer

You must at least know paddle board Pete then 8)
Is he still around?

96XJ

SPIN GEAR!!?! EEEWWW

whenever I see some dead-beat beak break out a spin rod in the same run that I am working I immediately pack up and head back to the truck in disgust. I would never EEEEVER lower myself to fish in the vicintiy of such a noob.

Im usually so shook up by this that I usually have to make a stop over at Freds and re-charge up on my river-snob cred and I will most likely purchase some simms gear or better yet, a SAGE STICKER ,to put on my truck so EVERYONE! will know that I am a TOP ROD. I mean, so what if I havent landed a steel since 2012??.  The run is getting worse and worse every year....

:P

Lol

« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 07:41:46 PM by 96XJ »

Apennock

You must at least know paddle board Pete then 8)
Is he still around?

Don't even get me started on Bottom Bouncer Bill!