Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: EVERY FLY FISHERMEN SHOULD HAVE ONE OF THESE  (Read 6691 times)

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
Re: EVERY FLY FISHERMEN SHOULD HAVE ONE OF THESE
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2013, 03:45:35 PM »

I bleed it right after its dead, in the fall Im not worried about temperature, it can stay in the back of the truck for a few hours no problem. I dont clean em i just fillet em.
The book says:
To comply with the law leave the head tail and all fins on your catch until you get them to your permanent/ ordinary residence .
This may be the number one non compliance for Stave chum fishemen~

« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 04:00:35 PM by leadbelly »

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2013, 08:35:42 PM »

I bleed it right after its dead, in the fall Im not worried about temperature, it can stay in the back of the truck for a few hours no problem. I dont clean em i just fillet em.
The book says:
To comply with the law leave the head tail and all fins on your catch until you get them to your permanent/ ordinary residence .
This may be the number one non compliance for Stave chum fishemen~

Lodges process their guests' catches and the angler goes home with two fillets... and MAYBE the tail attached on a good day.

DC1980

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2013, 07:56:23 PM »

Dont you have to keep the head on it till ya get home anyways?

Is this true?  I have heard it before but is it in the regs.?

leadbelly

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2013, 08:14:21 PM »

The book says:

Ian Forbes

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2013, 06:47:11 AM »

Few fly fishermen catch and kill enough fish to justify the purchase of this tool.
I think it is better suited for  pin-spinning, roe-chucking meat-heads. ;)

While I can see the value of this tool and might consider it for the boat, I don't think I would want to carry it around on the flow. Plenty of rocks and logs around to dispatch a fish.For everything else I carry my Leatherman Blast with its razor sharp blade.

Milo is a little wimp. I just blast em with the 9mm Glock.

Riverman

• old fart
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2013, 08:02:54 AM »

As some-one who uses gear (sometimes) to catch and dispatch a disproportionate amount of fish.  Compared to the relatively saint like behavior of fly fishermen.I like the idea that it looks a little like a billy club.You never know when you might need a little mechanical  advantage.Especially when faced with an irate starvation stick wielder!LMAO!
Riverman

BladeKid

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2013, 11:59:12 AM »

I don't fillet anything on the river, nor scoop clean etc until Im home.
Nor flyfish for that matter lol.

I would advise otherwise... You should gut your fish on the river, as to leave as much nutrients in the system as possible... Also, those guts (once brought home) are likely going to end up in a landfill.... where they're gunna break down and and create greenhouse gases (methane being one)..... so yeah.... its a double no-no in my opinion.

Think about it.

leadbelly

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2013, 03:07:00 PM »

I would advise otherwise... You should gut your fish on the river, as to leave as much nutrients in the system as possible... Also, those guts (once brought home) are likely going to end up in a landfill.... where they're gunna break down and and create greenhouse gases (methane being one)..... so yeah.... its a double no-no in my opinion.
Think about it.

Ive never had a problem with a salmon thats been in the truck in October or November for a few hours. I think once this year one was left long enough to go stiff, and it was still fine.
Your assumption that I trash the carcass was wrong. I de slime it take off the fillets and the rest goes back in the bag in came in, to be dumped either in the creek two doors down or wherever I'm fishin the next day. I also recycle and only use travel mugs, one of them is over ten years old lol. Plus volunteering, planting native species, pulling English Ivy, picking up all the line and junk i find etc etc. But thanks for the thought.

BladeKid

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2013, 01:00:38 PM »

Ive never had a problem with a salmon thats been in the truck in October or November for a few hours. I think once this year one was left long enough to go stiff, and it was still fine.
Your assumption that I trash the carcass was wrong. I de slime it take off the fillets and the rest goes back in the bag in came in, to be dumped either in the creek two doors down or wherever I'm fishin the next day. I also recycle and only use travel mugs, one of them is over ten years old lol. Plus volunteering, planting native species, pulling English Ivy, picking up all the line and junk i find etc etc. But thanks for the thought.

I'm glad to hear it.  And yeah, the message was not directly for you... just anyone that perhaps did not think of it.

Glad to hear about the travel mug haha, the amount of waste from disposable coffee cups is another rant I could go on about.