Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Seymour mouth  (Read 6749 times)

hrenya

Seymour mouth
« on: August 15, 2015, 06:32:56 PM »

Went today around 5am , was pretty legit in the morning , guys catching them by jigs , jig under a float , if they got any snagged - they put them back without pulling out on rocks and stepping on fish . Everyone looked so pro and like they know what they are actually were doing . Tide goes down , fly fishing guy comes up , slaying them like crazy :) it was fun watching that guy . But when tide start come up again afternoon+ , lots of ppl with buzzbombs showed up and snag fest began . They snag them and pull on the rocks , step on them and keep them ..... I saw few "families" , dad and son , dad telling his son that this is not the way you catch fish , and keep casting spoons , but after a while , he snagges one and after dragging it on the rocks keep it .  I also saw dads and sons with weight + hook and some wool in it ... I was so disappointment ... C`mon guys ... SAY SOMETHING . I casted spoons and spinner for over 10 hours , and I`d rather do so , than snag them.
This looks so bad , when young kids learning snagging instead of catching ....

p.s. sorry , but that was so hard to watch ......

Tangles

Re: Seymour mouth
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2015, 07:27:58 PM »

Yeah, I can guarantee you that posting this on a busy internet forum is only gonna make it worse, eg more of those clowns showing up! It's not a secret spot by any means but that place is absolutely bursting at the seams now, last time counted 30 cars on one side only, tomorrow they'll be 50 and parked all around the block, thanks. /end of rant

hrenya

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2015, 06:45:15 PM »

u r welcome , saw dfo checking today in the morning , 2 got busted , maybe dfo reading this fourm too .......

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2015, 07:17:18 PM »

Busted for what?

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2015, 07:55:20 PM »

Saltwater is such a tough area for dfo to enforce. I watched the same events day after day at the millstone mouth in Nanaimo back a few years when I did fish pinks there.

It is written right into the saltwater regulations that you are allowed to retain a non intentionally snagged fish. It is exceptionally hard therefore for dfo to prove that you are actually snagging intentionally, especially if you are using a spoon/spinner/buzz bomb. Unless they have video of a person ripping the water, and there is no doubt they are trying to snag, they won't be fined. What's even worse is there are now extreme limits on dfo/co's to use video evidence, and any video with audio recording included cannot be used as evidence.

Due to this, the tickets would most likely be for over possession or barbed hooks. Sometimes they will sit at a vantage and watch snaggers with a spotting scope, but even then intentionally snagging tickets would be rare.

Sad state of affairs, but there is very little anyone can do besides educate.

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2015, 09:41:52 PM »

I called RAPP earlier in the week to report a couple of guys chucking lead wrapped trebles.  Got forwarded to DFO (due to tidal/salmon jurisdiction), so maybe they do listen and follow up.  Particularly now they can concentrate their efforts on only a few select locations due to closures and low water levels. 

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2015, 05:35:04 AM »

Also, keeping foul hooked salmon is illegal and not hard to  ascertain.

chironomidking

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2015, 06:58:56 AM »

Someone correct me if I am wrong. 

There is no such thing as a foul hooked fish in the saltwater regulations.  This means that an angler can retain any fish that they "hook" provided that it is in season, within daily quota allowance and that the angler has a valid license.

However, intentionally snagging a fish is illegal in all waters.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2015, 07:07:03 AM »

Someone correct me if I am wrong. 

There is no such thing as a foul hooked fish in the saltwater regulations.  This means that an angler can retain any fish that they "hook" provided that it is in season, within daily quota allowance and that the angler has a valid license.

However, intentionally snagging a fish is illegal in all waters.

True.
Page 14.
There is a more recent copy of the guide with a picture of Rod on it, that I can't find but says the same thing.  I can see why they allow it since the ocean is so big, but I am not sure if there's anyway for them to restrict river mouths or something like that.
http://www.chinooklodge.bc.ca/docs/sfgtidal-gpsmaree-2013-eng.pdf
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 07:13:44 AM by fic »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2015, 09:53:51 AM »

From the Saltwater Regulations:

It is illegal to catch and retain or attempt to catch salmon by wilfully
foul hooking. Salmon that are foul hooked accidentally in the ocean
may be retained. A salmon intentionally or accidentally foul hooked in
any lake or stream including the tidal portions of coastal streams, must
be released immediately to the water from which it was caught with the
least amount of harm.

If a person accidently foul hooked a salmon in the "ocean", he can retained it. If the same person foul hooked a salmon in the tidal portion of a stream say the Capilano/Seymour he must release it. The question then becomes how far does the "tidal portion" extends out before it becomes the ocean. Confusing.

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2015, 11:10:59 AM »

True.
That is a loop hole some snagger will try to exploit.
However, the first one will draw attention and the grip and rip style will be easily recognized.
Accidents happen, true, but to continue fishing in an unethical manner is easily recognizable.

kosanin kosher salt

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2015, 11:30:04 AM »

Is the Seymour fresh water portion closed right now to water restrictions ?  thanks in advance

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2015, 11:55:19 AM »

Is the Seymour fresh water portion closed right now to water restrictions ?  thanks in advance

Yes.

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2015, 01:49:47 PM »

But below the bridge is ok?

nevertoolate

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2015, 02:27:48 PM »

no fishing allowed on the Seymour Estuary

(I am planning to go there on Thursday and want to be by myself)