Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: B.C Outdoors show  (Read 3634 times)

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
B.C Outdoors show
« on: April 08, 2022, 04:14:34 PM »

I was at the B.C Outdoors show at Heritage park in Chilliwack. All three builldings are full of displays. Very impressive. Lots of people attending without vaccine passports and masks! My first time out in a public crowd with no restrictions in two long years. The beer garden is sponsored by a local craft brewery. Enjoy everyone!

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
Re: B.C Outdoors show
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2022, 04:47:30 PM »

any good deals? rods and reels?

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2022, 05:10:01 PM »

Not many local tackle stores participated which really surprised me. Harbour Chandler from Nanaimo had a big display of mostly saltwater tackle. Fred Helmer was there with his new guide boat the Titan on display representing the Fraser River Fishing Alliance. I picked up a custom made Fly fishing rod from one of the vendors who was there promoting a fishing lodge in the Cariboo.

redside1

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2022, 11:54:46 AM »

Not many local tackle stores participated which really surprised me. Harbour Chandler from Nanaimo had a big display of mostly saltwater tackle. Fred Helmer was there with his new guide boat the Titan on display representing the Fraser River Fishing Alliance. I picked up a custom made Fly fishing rod from one of the vendors who was there promoting a fishing lodge in the Cariboo.

if it is the rod brand I think it is, it's not custom made. Built in China to his specs. It would be like calling Fenwick fly rods custom made.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2022, 09:45:06 PM »

I didn't feel comfortable going because of no masks and no Vax pass check. The government tells me that the unvaccinated are spreading the virus so I didn't go.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2022, 07:27:54 AM »

if it is the rod brand I think it is, it's not custom made. Built in China to his specs. It would be like calling Fenwick fly rods custom made.

doesn't mean it's not a good rod. A number of good value brands like Echo & Redington are made in China or Korea to spec.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2022, 08:52:41 PM »

I didn't feel comfortable going because of no masks and no Vax pass check. The government tells me that the unvaccinated are spreading the virus so I didn't go.

Anybody can spread covid if they contract it. Cases are very low here now sooo pretty safe.. Especially if you are vaxed
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2022, 10:58:16 PM »

Reasonable. I've got all my shots and had COVID a couple months ago. I've been visiting with family/friends again since then and rejoined my drop-in sports at the rec center without masks. Just not ready for crowds yet. Bit of pandemic PTSD? I'm sure that aversion to crowds is a pretty common sentiment right now :)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2022, 11:01:12 PM »

I didn’t go, because I don’t like people. 😉

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2022, 06:30:53 AM »

I went to local fitness drop in, plus my wife and I went to swimming throughout the pandemic as long as it was available. I found wearing a mask while working out & getting my heart rate up past 130 and even 140 wasn't much of a burden once I got use to it. Plus there is a pleasure of being around people. The number of people in the gym or the pool was controlled. Having a swimming lane to myself was great when I who did some competitive swimming early in my life, had to deal with people going at a snail's pace in the "fast lane" and there was seldom if ever a wait for exercise or weight machines. i heard people living in the interior make the same comments about fishing in the spring of 2020, they suddenly had the lakes all to themselves. Like Blood Orange says you did your due diligence with social distances, hygiene, masks & vaccines and hope for the best. Disease free so far!
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

redside1

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2022, 07:15:45 AM »

doesn't mean it's not a good rod. A number of good value brands like Echo & Redington are made in China or Korea to spec.

never said it wasn't a good rod, just it wasn't a custom build like most would expect the the word custom to mean. Hardy, Loop, Orvis, etc all have high end very nice rods built in Korea & China.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2022, 07:17:46 AM »

custom usually means some guy put the guides , handle and reel seat on a blank in his man cave trying to avoid spending time with his wife and kids.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2022, 05:10:59 PM »

I've read this post a few times, and man, I have so many questions! Should I ask them, H&F? :)   

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2022, 07:12:14 PM »

I didn’t go, because I don’t like people. 😉
Unfortunately, I don't think misanthropy can be cured. Just kept in remission by going fishing ::)

GordJ

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2022, 06:58:19 AM »

Unfortunately, I don't think misanthropy can be cured.  ::)
Posts like this are the reason that like buttons are so popular. It’s too bad that there isn’t a “Won the internet” button for this post.