Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: sockeye on the fraser??  (Read 8705 times)

DavidD

• Fourth Year Apprentice Fisherman
Re: sockeye on the fraser??
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2010, 12:59:50 PM »

Have been out the past two days with a couple of friends at a less popular bar.  We caught our share within a few hours.  Noticed they was mostly males. Even had a brief encounter with a nice sized spring before it jumped out of the water, spit out the hook into my general direction and flipped me the bird.  ;D
Save the Whales - Collect the Whole Set!!!

ICA

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2010, 07:23:29 PM »

I was out yesterday and had to work fairly hard for my limit but at the end of the day, its all good because the weather was great and anytime out on the water is always great! lots of boats ranging from jets to tubs, but everyone caught fish. Was told by a DFO that gill netting opening has ended even though the commercial is still on for a little while longer. Fishing will be sporadic for a few days and after that should be good again. Where i was fishing yesterday, there were lots of people and I noticed that some guy decided to take a short walk to a shoal nearby and started casting. Within 15 minutes, about 15 people were there and they were hauling the Socs in like crazy. So the point I am trying to make is that sometimes to cast repeatedly without results is pointless and always good to move somewhere else with tons of exposed bars fish from. It only takes some leg work or moving around with the boat to find the schools of fish.

ICA

lovetofish

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2010, 07:32:26 PM »

We got out again today. Slow for us again, at least for the morning. A fellow with three kids pulled in above us shortly after we arrived and they quickly landed 6 sockeye and a spring in the 15lb range. I managed a nice sockeye just as they were leaving and then hit another a while later. I lost a spring as we were too slow getting the boat out and a tangle in my reel caused the leader to snap.  >:( my fault. A while later I hooked into another spring. this time we jumped in the boat right away and followed him downstream for better than half a kilometer before we landed him A 17lb red spring :). We landed 2 more sockeye before we had to head back to work. We had to work for the fish we caught but it was a good day to be out. Fish were being caught all day. Not really quickly but often enough to keep people interested.

andychan

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2010, 12:03:17 PM »

We got out again today. Slow for us again, at least for the morning. A fellow with three kids pulled in above us shortly after we arrived and they quickly landed 6 sockeye and a spring in the 15lb range. I managed a nice sockeye just as they were leaving and then hit another a while later. I lost a spring as we were too slow getting the boat out and a tangle in my reel caused the leader to snap.  >:( my fault. A while later I hooked into another spring. this time we jumped in the boat right away and followed him downstream for better than half a kilometer before we landed him A 17lb red spring :). We landed 2 more sockeye before we had to head back to work. We had to work for the fish we caught but it was a good day to be out. Fish were being caught all day. Not really quickly but often enough to keep people interested.

if the kid is under 16 I know they can fish without license - but are they allowed to retain?

BBarley

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2010, 12:20:36 PM »

if the kid is under 16 I know they can fish without license - but are they allowed to retain?

They are allowed their own quota in freshwater, but need a salmon tag in the salt I believe.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2010, 02:09:30 PM »

you are correct Bbarley however for saltwater you MUST have a printed license(still free) for kids under 16 either with or without a tag. freshwater they dont need to have a license at all
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2010, 02:14:03 PM »

Hit the river around 5am this morning...saw a few socks taken further down stream and no action near me...tons of snags, could be why everyone was downstream. Caught my limit by 9am, both within half hour of each other....pretty roomy on the bar I chose this morning

hp2200

« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2010, 02:35:25 PM »

Hi folks ... haven't been out for a couple of years now ... last time was at Herling ... but I hear it's now closed ... can someone please suggest some common walk in bars ???

Thanks,

lovetofish

« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2010, 04:03:30 PM »

hp2200, On the north side of the Fraser, at Hope there is Scale bar, and further downstream there are a couple along Seabird island.just look for all the cars. On the south side, Jones bar up past Herrling island, some people fish at he Ferry island launch, and a lot of people fish at the Gill launch and below. The water is down enough that people are driving through 6 inches of water and fishing from shore several hundred yards below the launch. Further downstream from there,I am unfamiliar with the walk in areas.
I hope that this helps.

lovetofish

« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2010, 09:11:25 AM »

We went out again Friday morning from about 9 to 12:20. We caught our allowed 6 sockeye. It was fairly steady. the bar was not as busy as I have seen it. I had one spring break off my leader just as we got to the boat. A young fellow above us hooked a nice spring but they had never landed one in a boat before and had their motor still down and running while fighting the fish. I suggested that they kill the motor when we passed them our net but it didn't happen and the line found the prop. Fish gone.
We left once we had our limit and we were sure glad not to be standing out in the sun in the afternoon when it got really hot .

Driller

• Keeping it real.
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2010, 09:44:55 AM »

Only fished sockeye once before.  wasn't sure where to go.  Drove to the river followed the road the paralleled the river saw a couple of places to access the river, went to 3 different spots until I found a good one.  Camped out near the spot, up at first light, 2 fish in the cooler home by 8am.  Not as difficult as I thought it would be.  Just needed time to search for the right place.
Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.

hp2200

« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2010, 11:06:17 AM »

Thanks "lovetofish" ... will try to head out in the next couple of days to check them out !!

fish007

« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2010, 11:12:46 AM »

Are we allowed fish at Ferry Landing place and Wardle street bar at Hope?

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2010, 05:04:12 PM »

Water is receding at Gill Bar.  So unless you have a boat, or are willing to drive a bit, it is not worthwhile for those who wish to do some shore fishing.

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2010, 07:00:59 PM »

Water is receding at Gill Bar.  So unless you have a boat, or are willing to drive a bit, it is not worthwhile for those who wish to do some shore fishing.
I stopped by there today, do not go unless you have a boat...trying to fish from shore was pointless, packed up after 30 mins and moved on