Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sockeye Opening ? And Restaurants Charged For Selling Them  (Read 3765 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Sockeye Opening ? And Restaurants Charged For Selling Them
« on: July 23, 2008, 04:26:28 PM »

I just heard from a reliable source it looks like a recreational sockeye opening on the Fraser at the end of the month. :'( :-[ ::) ??? :o :(. Also a Commercial harvest is in the works at the same time, so much for the estimate of a poor run of sockeye this year.

Then I was just at the FOC office here in the Valley, reporting two chaps who tried to sell me some sockeye this morning and was told 4 restaurants in the Valley were charged today for selling sockeye.

More in the Journal later.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Sockeye Opening ? And Restaurants Charged For Selling Them
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 04:42:08 PM »

Hmmm wonder where the restaurants are getting their sockeyes. :-X :-X

yamadirt 426

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 04:58:29 PM »

Just because they upped the number of fish comming in I still don't think its a good Idea for a fishery yet.  Who's to say they didn't fudge the numbers a bit. Bow under pressure of some sort  ::) Like they have in the past. Can't just 1 year go by ?

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 05:12:08 PM »

I saw a small one in Safeway today going for $24 or $20 with your club card. Time to dust off the betties. ;)
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 05:52:30 PM »

I wont be able to harvest sockeye, DANG IT!  Of all the times I pick to go on a 2 week vacation they will open it for the first time in 2  ::) Hopefully we have one sometime in August, maybe 2nd or 3rd week  :D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 06:05:16 PM »

yamadirt,  its the second year now as last year there was no opening,     Chris is right    forecasted opening for mid next week,  commies this weekend.  The DFO just doesnt pressure under to US if the stocks dont warrant an opening,  there wouldnt be one.  So this is where i believe it will get interesting,  there has been tonnes of debate as to rights and wrong recently on all sites, lots of vocal people about shutting it down and trying to pressure others on the board to abstain,  even guides against each other. So i believe people will basically go out this year and keep reports and conversations about it off the sites?    what do you all think,  and yes i will be Harvesting Sockeye, if open
Yes it has been debated to death, although I donot like to see this opening I will not be involved in talking about it and I will just head to the peace and quiet of the mighty Thompson River.

dogfish2

• `
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 06:59:43 PM »

got a call yesterday my friend was approached in chilliwack ,sockeye $8.00 a fish too bad he told the guy to f off and didnt report him

4x4

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008, 07:00:59 PM »

Yes it has been debated to death, although I donot like to see this opening I will not be involved in talking about it and I will just head to the peace and quiet of the mighty Thompson River.
[/quote]

Yup,

You and your buddies can slaughter Thompson Jack Springs for a few months. Give those poor fish a break.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2008, 07:02:54 PM »

got a call yesterday my friend was approached in chilliwack ,sockeye $8.00 a fish too bad he told the guy to f off and didnt report him
FOC told me today lots of reports to them of sockeye being offered for sale. I wonder if Mr. Crey who was worried about a shortage this year was able to pick some up. Talk about egg on ones face now. ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2008, 07:04:10 PM »

Yup,

You and your buddies can slaughter Thompson Jack Springs for a few months. Give those poor fish a break.
[/quote] ??? ???

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2008, 07:58:57 PM »

they haven't caught too many so fish must be coming from russia :)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 08:02:18 PM by troutbreath »

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2008, 09:51:13 PM »

I am glad to be heading to Alberta and the Kootenys for some fly action for almost 2 weeks starting the middle of next week.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2008, 10:48:19 PM »

they haven't caught too many so fish must be coming from russia :)
The fellows tried to sell me the 20 sockeye they had today, not sure if they were counted or not. ::) :o While down reporting this at the FOC office this afternoon they had a dumpster overflowing with illegal nets they have seized, they go to the dump as it is environmentally unfriendly to burn the webs and the corks, will try to get a photo of them tomorrow.

Got two tired to write the two day journal, I will try to make it a 3 day one tomorrow. :-\

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2008, 11:27:35 PM »

Are those official figures provided by fish counters or they are self reporting figures by First Nations ?

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2008, 12:32:49 AM »

Statistics speak with forked tongue ;D Especially government ones.