Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: World Rivers Day On The Chilliwack Vedder River  (Read 10110 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
World Rivers Day On The Chilliwack Vedder River
« on: September 18, 2017, 01:26:04 PM »

I hope some members on the forum will be able to attend The Chilliwack Vedder River Cleanup Societies river cleanup and celebration this coming Sunday. When Rodney, Terry, Lew, myself and a few others started the cleanup back in 2001 we always had a good turnout of this forums members. This has slipped a bit the last few years so this is a chance to give back to the river that many of us fish for a good part of the year. I was down to the Fraser Valley Salmon Society section this morning by the Keith Wilson Bridge and cleaned up one bag of garbage dropped by some careless people. The KWB area is being heavily worked by a lot of people hence the garbage along the parking areas and out on the bar.

Here is the info for the days events as the celebration is held on Chilliwack Lake Road at the Fish and Game Clubs grounds.

Details here.

Sunday, September 24th at the Chilliwack Fish and Game Club (48685 Chilliwack Lake Rd, Chilliwack). In celebration of BC Rivers Day this is our largest cleanup of the year!
Registration opens at 8:30 am, and BBQ starts at 12:30pm. Prize raffle begins at 1pm (ish) and you must be present to win!

We welcome exhibitors like the Waterwealth Project, Freshwater Fisheries Society of BC, City of Chilliwack, Fraser Valley Regional District, Fraser Riverkeepers, Fraser Valley Salmon Society and more to help educate all of us about this amazing river valley we play and live in.
All registered participants can enjoy the BBQ lunch and additional refreshments from the great folks at Tim Hortons and the Chilliwack Water Store.
Don’t forget your water bottle or a travel mug so you can partake in the refreshments.

Once again we will provide the gloves, garbage and recycling bags and you provide the 'boots on the ground'.
For the first time, you can buy your own pickup-stick (to keep) in support of the Chilliwack Vedder River Cleanup Society.

This is a family friendly event and it goes rain or shine.
We are working very hard to encourage folks to bring their own water bottle or travel mug to our events so we are not using single use containers. We will NOT be providing cups for coffee or water.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 03:45:45 PM by chris gadsden »

milo

• Old Timer
Re: World Rivers Day On The Chilliwack Vedder River
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 03:29:28 PM »

The lack of interest for the cleanup by anglers on this forum has been appalling.
I remember a few years ago, I offered a free ride to the cleanup and back several times and nobody took me up on my offer.

I will once again offer members a free ride to the cleanup this year. All you need to do is show up at the Holdom Sky train station at 7:30 AM on Sunday.
I have room for 3 more people in my truck besides me.

No need to share gas money; the only "catch" is I will be fishing after the cleanup, so the return to the city might be somewhat late. Bring your rods!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 03:46:56 PM »

Thanks Milo, you have been a great supporter of the cleanup since we started the CVRCS, look forward to seeing you and hope you find some fish after.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2017, 04:23:46 PM »

X2 on Milo!  Looking forward to seeing you on Sunday  :)

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2017, 07:58:14 PM »

My dad and I will come out too. I'd love to meet some of the forum folk. I'll stick around and fish for a couple of hours after. Say hi if you see me, I'll be wearing a black Arcteryx ball cap.

I can also drive if anyone needs a way out there. Meet up at Sapperton skytrain at 7:15 (even earlier than Milo, oof!), just need to do a quick detour into Abbotsford to pick up my dad. I need to be home in New West by 5pm so leaving the river around 3:30 or so. If you want a ride, send me a PM and I'll give you my cell # :D

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2017, 08:36:28 PM »

Nice!

stsfisher

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2017, 07:38:03 AM »

The lack of interest for the cleanup by anglers on this forum has been appalling.
I remember a few years ago, I offered a free ride to the cleanup and back several times and nobody took me up on my offer.

I will once again offer members a free ride to the cleanup this year. All you need to do is show up at the Holdom Sky train station at 7:30 AM on Sunday.
I have room for 3 more people in my truck besides me.

No need to share gas money; the only "catch" is I will be fishing after the cleanup, so the return to the city might be somewhat late. Bring your rods!

Great offer Milo, and well done on your involvement in this cleanup.

Just remember there are many members that may not contribute at this particular cleanup but do put there time into others that are held in different locations and on other dates throughout the year.  ;)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2017, 12:56:12 PM »

Checked out a couple of gravel bars in the Vedder  Canal area today and there is a few tires, a tent etc I would like to get out, need a couple of strong people to help. Will bring a rope and shovel to help get the gravel out before we drag them up the bank. Maybe Dave will find a couple of people to help do that chore. The section I and the Fraser Valley Salmon Society do is between Keith Wilson Bridge and the Freeway Bridge.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2017, 02:56:02 PM »

X2 on Milo!  Looking forward to seeing you on Sunday  :)

Me too, Dave.
Bring that custom rebuilt rod and I may have some $$$ for you.  :D

Checked out a couple of gravel bars in the Vedder  Canal area today and there is a few tires, a tent etc I would like to get out, need a couple of strong people to help. Will bring a rope and shovel to help get the gravel out before we drag them up the bank. Maybe Dave will find a couple of people to help do that chore. The section I and the Fraser Valley Salmon Society do is between Keith Wilson Bridge and the Freeway Bridge.

I volunteer for that.
I may not be as fast or pliant as before, but the strength is still there.
And I am not afraid to deep wade in the canal. Let's do it Dave. :)

b8floater

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2017, 04:10:12 PM »

I'll be bringing my son and daughter out to this event again this year. Easy way of teaching the next generation is to show them how disgusting and disrespectful this generation can be!!

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2017, 04:20:25 PM »

Me too, Dave.

I volunteer for that.

It's all yours buddy! Thanks for volunteering but you were slated for it anyway ;)

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2017, 04:23:03 PM »

I'll be bringing my son and daughter out to this event again this year. Easy way of teaching the next generation is to show them how disgusting and disrespectful this generation can be!!

Looking forward to seeing you all!
I agree about the educational aspects of events like this and I applaud your parenting skills :)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2017, 07:22:49 PM »

Me too, Dave.

I volunteer for that.
Thank Milo, are you coming to the Fish and Game first so we can meet up there before we head to the Canal? I know the coffee and donuts are worth the drive. ;D ;D

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2017, 10:57:33 PM »

Thank Milo, are you coming to the Fish and Game first so we can meet up there before we head to the Canal? I know the coffee and donuts are worth the drive. ;D ;D

Wouldn't miss the coffee and the donuts for anything in the world, Chris!  ;D

arimaBOATER

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2017, 03:41:55 PM »

On today's tv news ( Global BC I believe ) it showed a big pile of trash dumped in the valley near a stream. Really gross. Chilliwack area.