Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Upcoming Pink Salmon Run fraser 2011  (Read 39239 times)

Tofino Osprey Lodge

• Tofino Osprey Lodge
    • Tofino Osprey Lodge
Re: Upcoming Pink Salmon Run fraser 2011
« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2010, 09:41:49 AM »

Some good crab bait coming next year

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2010, 08:26:40 PM »

Any body been out yet?  I've heard reports of a few coming out of Peg Leg.  Better get a spot soon...  ;D

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #47 on: November 19, 2010, 08:17:43 AM »

Saw huge schools at Furry Creek as well. Get out and get em while the fishing is hot! ::) :o
always a student

kosanin kosher salt

« Reply #48 on: November 19, 2010, 04:49:21 PM »

hit  no.3 road last night at high tide , hooked into about 9 landed only 2 they got such soft mouths . 
really  anybody know the numbers coming back next year , or how many fry went to the ocean this year?

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #49 on: November 26, 2010, 05:54:22 PM »

lapa

« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2011, 02:53:42 PM »

FlyFishin Magician, do you have a photo of this fly?  Or anybody?  I would appreciate it.
I would be also interested.

Dude

« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2011, 09:58:20 PM »

hit  no.3 road last night at high tide , hooked into about 9 landed only 2 they got such soft mouths . 
really  anybody know the numbers coming back next year , or how many fry went to the ocean this year?

kosanin kosher salt- Im confused...the pinks are coming in already?? I live in richmond i would love to get out after work and try my luck
but i thought they come in late summer??

Blackgivesway2blue

« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2011, 10:20:14 PM »

kosanin kosher salt- Im confused...the pinks are coming in already?? I live in richmond i would love to get out after work and try my luck
but i thought they come in late summer??

he was being sarcastic, they wont be here for a while,   ;)

one more cast

« Reply #53 on: March 24, 2011, 09:35:04 AM »

he was being sarcastic, they wont be here for a while,   ;)

His post was made Nov. 19th. of 2010.

andrew5

« Reply #54 on: March 24, 2011, 11:49:13 AM »

Hi guys,

Berry's bait is stating on their annual April sale flyer that between 30 - 50 million pinks are forecasted for this year. This seems pretty high, ao I tried googling forecasts and couldnt find anything.

Are there any official forecasts that have been released on the salmon fishery yet? I thought around 15 million was the average run. Thoughts?...

Berrys sale flyer:
http://www.berrysbait.com/files/2011aprilsale.pdf

-great looking deals too by the way.

azafai

« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2011, 01:14:02 PM »

this is a more reliable source but about Alaska:

http://www.afsc.noaa.gov/abl/msi/msi_sae_psf.htm

ynot

• Old Timer
« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2011, 02:29:57 PM »

2011 is a dominant cycle year for Fraser River pink salmon; above average returns are expected.
Fisheries will be planned and managed consistent with Fraser River sockeye, Interior Fraser
coho, Fraser River steelhead, and Fraser River pink management objectives. from the dfo web site.

Blackgivesway2blue

« Reply #57 on: March 24, 2011, 09:35:20 PM »

His post was made Nov. 19th. of 2010.

yes his post was made than , but are you saying he was hooking into pinks on November 19 , 2010 ? if he was talking about hooking pinks (because kosanin kosher salt's post wasnt very informative) , hes just joking around,

RA40

• STS Guiding Service
    • STS Guiding Service
« Reply #58 on: March 24, 2011, 09:45:48 PM »

I was at a Salmon Stronghold meeting last night and I was talking to someone about the upcoming Pink run, the estimate has been increased to 20 - 50 million. Apparently the out migration count of 900,000 million fry was under estimated as the test fishery boat missed 4 days, after recalculations the estimate of fry was over 1 billion.

On another subject but kinda related, we talked about why some runs of salmon are so much stronger than other and compared life cycles of individual stocks. For example the Harrison river system has 3 seperate CU ( Conservation Units) of Sockeye. One group spawn in Harrison Rapids in faster water, these fish dont migrate to Harrison Lake, the fry head strait out to the ocean which is very unusual for sockeye. The weaver creek stock spawns in weaver creek, then migrate up Harrison River into Harrison Lake, they spend 1 - 2 years in the lake then migrate out to sea. The 3rd stock is Harrison Lake sockeye which spawn in the lake. Interesting to note that last year record return of 900,000 spawners were the Harrison Rapids stock that go strait to sea, also, these fish dont migrate past fish farms and head out using the inside passage.

Not sure if you guys are familiar with Salmon Strong Hold concepts, maybe that is another topic.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 09:48:36 PM by RA40 »

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
« Reply #59 on: March 24, 2011, 10:43:21 PM »

I was at a Salmon Stronghold meeting last night and I was talking to someone about the upcoming Pink run, the estimate has been increased to 20 - 50 million. Apparently the out migration count of 900,000 million fry was under estimated as the test fishery boat missed 4 days, after recalculations the estimate of fry was over 1 billion.

wohoo its gonna be a steller year, better get all your pink stuff soon looks like stores will sell out early  ::)
guess this means i get no van. island fishing trip  :'(
gone to the dark side, poor levelwind probly never going to see the water again.