Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Got a boat, now what?  (Read 5951 times)

Stu

Got a boat, now what?
« on: September 08, 2010, 09:51:27 AM »

Hello,

Some of you might remember me from last year, when I was asking lots of
questions about first time fishing for Salmon (pinks). I didn't do much fishing
ever since due to too busy schedule etc.

Now I finally got myself a 14ft fiberglass boat and would like to go fishing tomorrow (Thursday).
The only problem is that I have never went fishing on boat before. Hence my question
is how do you guys fish from a boat?

I know this is a bit of an odd question but this is my first boat, only had it out
on the water a few times with family just to get a feel of it, and also I'm quite green behind
my ears regarding fishing. If some of you would give me tips as to how to
approach this (gear, location, and just any tip I can get) I would greatly appreciate it. 
I got no kicker or downrigger on the boat so trolling would be probably not an economical approach.

Thank you.
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure its worth watching.

Brian

Re: Got a boat, now what?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 10:18:41 AM »

go searching for crabs in deep cove first.  Use 100' of line.  much tamer water.  did you get your safe boater's card? 

Hitting up the fraser can be really sketchy so it's often best to go with somebody who knows the area.  go in their boat first.  then if you feel you're up to it, take yours.

I've been boating for about a year, the Fraser scares the wazooo out of me.  Even the calmer areas are scary at times.

Stu

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 10:26:45 AM »

Thanks for the quick reply Brian.
Yes I have my boaters card. I don't have crabbing gear yet, and no time to get it by tomorrow.
I've never been to deep cove in a boat, is it relay calmer than the Fraser? Is  that a good area
to go fishing too?

arimaBOATER

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 01:25:31 PM »

We all had to learn like yourself.
But the Fraser R. can be very deceiving.
On a high slack tide & no wind it can be compared to a calm small lake...BUT when there is a wind & tide changes (or even tide changes only) the river can be very very dangerous.
Not to mention snags deadheads 4-5 ft wake from some big tugs at full trottle with nothing in tow.....etc...(extra wear you life-jacket always if you attempt to boat the Fraser or salt in a small boat)
Up river I understand there are sand bars that ya can hit ...
Sujj. ya maybe fish some lakes first...Alouette...Chillowack...for example.

But if ya want to go out into the salt go only on a calm (no wind) & high tide day.
I've been on the Fraser R & Sandheads alot of hrs & there are many times the conditions were such that literally one kinda feared for their life (ha) "nervous laugh"
We're talking about big waves & once in a 13 ft. runabout & 35hp the waves at the stern in a split sec. pushed the boat totally sideways.
(Fortunately had enough sense that day to turn the wheel quickly & push down on the trottle to right the boat's position.
Lack of experience can get one in trouble very quickly on the Fraser R & salt...even the boater with many hrs can find themselves in trouble.
So many have drowned this year locally ...the numbers are un-real.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 01:27:41 PM by arimaBOATER »

Stu

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 10:23:50 PM »

Thank you for the warning. I am all for safety first.
You are right about learning yourself, but sometimes asking questions
can help avoid unnecessary trouble.
On my second time on the boat I was anchoring just to get
used to it and try it out, an other guy past me full speed
abut 20ft behind the stern, It almost swamped my boat.
Needless t say it scared the crap out of me, That much about due care.
I know I should have got a 16ft+ but I wanted something
smaller and cheaper to experiment and learn with.

How about Pitt River, and Pitt Lake? Is there any decent fishing?
Is the Fraser around Chilliwack also as dangerous?
Where would I be able to launch the boat around Chilliwack?

Thank you

bigguy

• Old Timer
  • what?? You want me to GET OUT and go fishing?
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 10:57:26 PM »

Stu, I have been fishing the west coast of Vancouver Isle for 4 years now and learn something new almost everyday.  Make certain that you have all needed safety equipment.  I don't know about fiberglass on the river.... but then I have never boated the river.  Like you I learn by asking and then of course watching... Watch and learn.  Anchoring can be tricky as well especially in salt..  As mentioned by others the winds combined with tides can be tricky (dangerous).  Don't be afraid but be cautious.  Safety first though, especially if you are taking kids out with you...

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 11:27:53 PM »

I wouldnt take a fiberglass boat in the upper fraser. Your best bet it keeping it below Mission or slightly above it. You could take up Sturgeon fishing on the lower with it quite nicely.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Brian

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2010, 12:33:19 AM »

I don't have crabbing gear yet, and no time to get it by tomorrow.
I've never been to deep cove in a boat, is it really calmer than the Fraser? Is  that a good area
to go fishing too?

Easy boat launch at Cates Park, quick buzz across to admiralty point (belcarra) for crabs.  The waters there are somewhat protected as they're on the inside of the Inlet.  Jig for salmon if you want.  Mostly pleasure craft in this area, no tugboats and stuff to worry about.  Just the occasional water skier.

Have fun whatever area you choose to go.

Stu

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2010, 11:43:24 AM »

It was a very brief and disappointing trip.  :-\
I put the boat on water just to discover that
the battery was depleted. Of course Murphys law come
true. I always have tools
and a jumper cable in the car, but not today.
So I put the boat back on the trailer and home I went.
I just learned that a radio on standby can deplete a
new battery in just a week.  :o

maverick

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2010, 01:42:45 PM »

Stu I think you should re-think taking a 14' fiberglass out on the chuck. Especially with family and no boating experience. I don't feel the risk is worth the reward. Spend some time on a few lakes getting used to the boat and the motor and how it acts and reacts to wind and waves. It is better and safer to know how the boat reacts when someone moves fast or leans when the potential for disaster isn't as final, not to say swamping a boat out from under you isn't dangerous on a lake.

Once you do get familiar with how the boat and motor acts they are a great way to spend the day with the kids. Whether you fish from an anchored location or troll plus it is a good way to keep an eye on the smaller ones.

Here is to lots of fun days out with family and good fishing.

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2010, 03:06:41 PM »

Stu I think you should re-think taking a 14' fiberglass out on the chuck. Especially with family and no boating experience. I don't feel the risk is worth the reward. Spend some time on a few lakes getting used to the boat and the motor and how it acts and reacts to wind and waves. It is better and safer to know how the boat reacts when someone moves fast or leans when the potential for disaster isn't as final, not to say swamping a boat out from under you isn't dangerous on a lake.

Once you do get familiar with how the boat and motor acts they are a great way to spend the day with the kids. Whether you fish from an anchored location or troll plus it is a good way to keep an eye on the smaller ones.

Here is to lots of fun days out with family and good fishing.

I second this, its a great post.

Also, before you go fishing in it, get to know it and take it out a number of times without the gear.  Fishing from a boat can be a management nightmare if you are not comfortable with it from the get go. It is really important to be comfortable with the way your boat handles, and to be able to predict how it will handle in different situations.

It is a lot like driving a car really, you don't start by taking it downtown and getting a job as a courier... you learn in a parking lot, move to the rural streets, then busier, ease into it. Sure you can go right into the city etc. but you're more likely to get into an accident if you're not first comfortable with it.

Once you are comfortable with the boat and ready to hit the chuck, there is plenty of fishing you can do without a downrigger.  You could go jig for feeder springs off of bowen, for example, or, you could run slip weights on your line....that's how we used to do it before downriggers came around.  It would work just fine when the coho are around, thats for sure, 1 or 2oz slip weight and then 20 feet to a bare spoon.  14 feet is plenty of boat for inshore stuff as long as the weather is nice and stable.

doja

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2010, 08:26:18 PM »

It was a very brief and disappointing trip.  :-\
I put the boat on water just to discover that
the battery was depleted. Of course Murphys law come
true. I always have tools
and a jumper cable in the car, but not today.
So I put the boat back on the trailer and home I went.
I just learned that a radio on standby can deplete a
new battery in just a week.  :o

From friends who own boats, number one before you leave the house with boat is test it to make sure it starts. My friend puts a thing over the motor with a hose attached so it doesn't over heat and he starts it every time before leaving.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2010, 08:42:23 PM »

Although I am a non-boater (so take it with a grain of salt) I would recommend a Power Squadron course. Upon, or prior to, purchasing a boat that would be one of my first steps.

bigguy

• Old Timer
  • what?? You want me to GET OUT and go fishing?
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2010, 08:44:32 PM »

Stu, some very good posts and great advice.  As long as you stay patient and cautious you will be fine.  Watch others and read as much as you can.  Keep asking questions. You will eventually get a great deal of enjoyment from your boat and your fishing... Enjoy.

Stu

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2010, 10:36:05 PM »

Thank you for all the great advice. I only take family/kids out when it is nice and calm.
I've bin out on the water a couple of times to get used to it, I am cautious but not afraid.
I just can't figure out why everyone thinks i want to take the boat and go across the strait
to Vancouver island? Perhaps I gave the wrong impression in my initial post?
Btw, that is the "out on the chuck" mean?
I would like to get some input on how to actually fish from a boat.
Do you anchor and start casting spoons-spinners? Or can you do barfishing?
I have never tried to jig, how would a setup look like for that?
I couldn't Google any useful information on how to set up a slip weight for trolling,
anyone would mind to elaborate?

Thank you