Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2009 Seymour Salmon Hatchery volunteer opportunities and news updates  (Read 5865 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

Hatchery Happenings - January 2009

A few updates from the Seymour Salmonid Society and the Seymour River Hatchery.

Snow! Snow! Snow!
From the first snowfall in December to the latest in January the hatchery received a whopping cumulative snowfall of 270 cm. And you thought Vancouver had it bad! Check out our homepage for a picture of the snow taken around Christmas.

There is still about a metre or more of snow on the ground. We don't expect it to disappear any time soon either. The snowfall has limited our activities and there have been few opportunities for volunteers - unless you'd like to shovel snow!

As always, if you haven't heard from us in a while and you'd like to volunteer, just email Matt at volunteering@seymoursalmon.com and something can be arranged.

Eggs Incubating and Hatching
All of our coho have been spawned and the eggs are incubating. The earliest spawned chum eggs have hatched and done so very successfully. In fact, incubation has been going so well this year there has barely been a need for picking any eggs.

If everything continues going smoothly, we'll be releasing over half a million chum fry in the spring! Along with our usual complement of coho, steelhead, and chinook.

Winter Run Slow To Show
With our huge return of summer-run steelhead this year, the staff had high hopes for an equally strong winter-run return. About a week before Christmas, staff performed a snorkel survey in the lower Seymour to count what had arrived. They only saw one fish - and it wasn't a steelhead!

Although the snorkel survey may have been a bit early, it is now mid-January and staff have yet to hear of a winter steelhead being caught. If you know of one being caught, please pass it along to the hatchery. Our radio-telemetry program is continuing for a third year and the sooner fish are tagged, the more data we can collect.

That's all for this month. Inquiries about the hatchery are always welcome. All the best to everyone in 2009.

Seymour Salmonid Society
membership@seymoursalmon.com

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: 2009 Seymour Salmon Hatchery volunteer opportunities and news updates
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 01:20:56 PM »

Hi everyone.

Winter is finally coming to an end up at the hatchery. It's going to be a busy spring and there is plenty to help out with. Here are some confirmed and tentative dates for volunteer opportunities over the next several weeks. If you would like to help with one or more activities just let me know and I will get back to you with more details.

Thanks!

April 21th to 24th - Steelhead Clipping - We will be applying a maxillary clip to 10,000 steelhead smolts.

April 26th - Maplewood Creek Chum Release - Our annual release at Maplewood Farm.

April 27th to May 1st - Snorkel Survey - Conditions permitting. Days of the week yet to be confirmed.

April 28th to April 30th - Coho Sampling - Transferring and sampling coho prior to release.

May 4th to May 9th - Steelhead Sampling - Individually sampling steelhead from each of our ponds.

May 20th and 21st - Steelhead Release - Transferring steelhead from the ponds to a transport truck. One of these days will be a river release.

Please leave e-mail subject and quoted text intact.

Matt Casselman
Volunteer Coordinator
Seymour Salmonid Society
volunteering@seymoursalmon.com
604 288 0511

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 11:19:37 PM »

Hi everyone

There's still lots of room to help clip our steelhead this week. If you can make - even for just one day - the help would greatly be appreciated. Start time would be around 9:30-10 am at the hatchery. All you need to bring is a lunch (and maybe gum boots, but the hatchery has lots). A ride to the hatchery with staff can probably be arranged. Just email!

Thanks!

Matt

Matt Casselman
Volunteer Coordinator
Seymour Salmonid Society
604 288 0511

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 01:45:09 AM »

Hi everyone,

More volunteer opportunities are happening this coming week. Here's what we'll be up to:

April 28th - Coho Sampling and Moving

Before we release our coho, a sample is taken to determine the average weight and length. We also check to see if they are smolting. This same day we will move 15,000 coho to a separate pond for a different release.

April 29th - General Help

Help with the basics around the hatchery. Cleaning troughs, feeding fish, and a chum release at the end of the day. Come for the morning, afternoon, or the whole day!

April 30th/May 1st - Snorkel Survey

Our usual requirements apply for this survey (physically fit, comfortable in the water, and able to fit in our drysuits). The good news is the water is getting warmer and the weather is great! No more cold hands and feet.

If you would like to help but don't know what is involved, please send an email. You don't have to be available for both days.

Thanks!

Matt Casselman
Volunteer Coordinator
Seymour Salmonid Society
604 288 0511

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

It's finally time for the steelhead to go!

We are going to need help loading the transport trucks and releasing at the river. We're trying some different releases this year to see what the effect on survival will be.

Wednesday (20th) we'll be loading two trucks with steelhead smolts. One truck will be releasing fish into the river then coming back for a second round of fish that will be driven to West Vancouver. The other truck will be loaded up with steelhead and then barged from Cates Park all the way to Point Atkinson where the steelhead will be released.

Thursday (21st) we'll be releasing the last two ponds into the river as usual. There will be one truck but two trips.

Wednesday volunteers can help from about 9:30 am to 12-1 pm. Thursday volunteers can help from 9:30 am to 1-2 pm.

Since we'll be loading scoops of steelhead it's probably best that volunteers don't have any back problems.

If you can help we'd definitely appreciate it!

Thanks

Matt

Matt Casselman
Volunteer Coordinator
Seymour Salmonid Society
604 288 0511

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

Family Fishing Day is happening on June 21st at Rice Lake and we need your help!

The Seymour Salmonid Society's annual Family Fishing Day will be held on June 21st (Father's Day) from 10am to 3pm. This is the biggest event of the year with typical public attendance over 2000 people. The public can fish for free, enjoy our wild salmon BBQ, and check out displays from local organizations. Funds raised at the event go towards the Seymour Salmonid Society's education and fish culture programs.

It's a big day, and we need volunteers to make it happen! You can help for the whole day or just part. Lunch is provided for all volunteers! If you'd like to help just let me know where you'd like to help and for how long. Opportunites are below.

Thanks everyone!!!

Here are some of the things you can help with:

Setup/Take Down

Setup for the day will start at 7am. You don't have to be there that early but an hour of help before 10 am would be great. You can then move on to another spot!

BBQ

People needed: 3 or 4
What you'll be doing: Set-up and take down, running the concession, prize table, serving food (we have cooks already)

Tackle

People needed: 3 or 4
What you'll be doing: Setting up rods/reels, tying hooks, handling out rods, giving advice, helping out on the dock

Lake Concession

People needed: 2
What you'll be doing: Selling drinks and chips, taking donations

Society Table

People needed: 3
What you'll be doing: Promoting the Society, taking donations, answering questions

General Help

Help the volunteers, exhibitors, or walk around educating the public about the Society. There will always be someone that could use a hand.

Matt Casselman
Volunteer Coordinator
Seymour Salmonid Society
604 288 0511

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

Volunteer Op: Fertilizer Placement - June 16th to 18th

The British Columbia Conservation Foundation will placing fertilizer in the Seymour River between June 16th and 18th. Volunteers will be needed to help move and place the fertilizer in the river. The fertilizer is an attempt to boost the productivity of the river.

Depending on river conditions, the placement will probably only occur on one day between the 16th and 18th. If you would like to help, please let me know your availability. I'll let you know what day it will happen as soon as it is confirmed.

Thanks!

Matt

Matt Casselman
Volunteer Coordinator
Seymour Salmonid Society
604 288 0511

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

Hatchery Happenings - June 2009

A few updates from the Seymour Salmonid Society and the Seymour River Hatchery.

The Fish Are On Their Way

The hatchery's steelhead, coho, and chum are well on their way to the Pacific Ocean. Over half a million chum were release in late April, followed by 65,000 coho in early-May, and 30,000 steelhead in mid and late-May.

Our POST program was in full swing this year with 150 steelhead implanted with acoustic transmitters. The tagged steelhead along with the rest of the steelhead were released in four different sites. This included a group that was barged from the Seymour River to Lighthouse Park!

The barge release and other new release strategies are an attempt to boost survival of juvenile steelhead in Burrard Inlet. Several media groups did an excellent job covering our work. You can read the story that appeared in the North Shore News here:

http://www2.canada.com/northshorenews/news/sundayfocus/story.html?id=9d7b7c34-9a1b-40f8-a276-77364e7e5b4a&k=44101

CBC Radio's "On The Coast" also featured the story and the Society hopes to have our own video of the project out soon!

Family Fishing Day is June 21st!

Splash! BC Family Fishing Day and Watershed Tours Kickoff will be on June 21st this year (Father's Day). Come and learn how to fish, enjoy our wild salmon BBQ, win some great prizes, and check out some cool exhibitors like O.W.L. and BC Hydro. No fishing gear necessary, we have everything you will need to fish!

Activities start at 10 am and run until 3 pm. Carpool or take the bus if you can. All proceeds from the event go towards the Seymour Salmonid Society.

Buy a Green Cone to Help the Environment and the Society

Looking for the ultimate food waste solution? Look no further than the Green Cone!

The Green Cone is more than just a composter - its a food waste digester. The Green Cone takes all types of food waste including meat, dairy, and vegetables. It breaks down everything and only leaves a very small amount of residue. It's perfect if you want to do your part to reduce waste but don't want the hassle of layering and turning over compost.

You can read more about the Green Cone at www.greencone.ca Follow this link to order your Green Cone:

https://www.greencone.ca/partner.php?partner=SeymourSalmonidSociety

You can order the Green Cone from now until June 28th, 2009. You'll also be able to check out the Green Cone and ask questions at Family Fishing Day. Once all the individual orders are taken the Green Cone's will be ordered. Ordering in bulk saves you shipping costs.

Pick up will be in the Lower Seymour Conservation Reserve on July 9th from 3 PM to 6 PM or on July 11th from 10 AM to 2 PM. A portion of proceeds from each sale are donated to the Seymour Salmonid Society. Be sure to follow the Society's sale link!

https://www.greencone.ca/partner.php?partner=SeymourSalmonidSociety

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

Hi everyone,

We are intending to begin fin clipping of our Coho on the 25th, 26th, 30th July, 1st & 2nd August.  We will aim to start around 9-9.30am and finish around 3pm.  Bring your lunch and a pair of rubber boots if you have them.  It is best if you can come for the whole time (or at least most of it) but we may be able to cater for shorter times.

Please let me know which days you can help out ASAP - especially for the 25th and 26th.

Thanks

Ed Walls
Volunteer Coordinator
Seymour Salmonid Society
604 288 0511

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2009, 02:29:35 PM »

Hi everyone,

We are planning to do a seine in the hatchery pool in the next few weeks.  Which date we go with is going to be very dependant on the weather.  If we continue to see dry conditions we will keep putting this seine off until we see a rise in river flows which will hopefully result in a fresh run of fish coming into the river.

As a result it is going to be a little difficult to plan.  Please indicate which dates you could help out.  I will try to confirm or cancel the dates on the Monday prior to the scheduled seine.

Thanks for your help... and patience

If you no longer wish to be on the volunteering list for the hatchery please send an email indicating this and I will remove your name

Ed Walls
Volunteer Coordinator
Seymour Salmonid Society
604 288 0511

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2009, 02:43:57 PM »

Hi everyone,

Thanks to those of you that helped with the seine in the hatchery pool today.  We processed around 85 coho and 5 Steelhead.

We are very tentatively planning to do a seine in the Old Dam Pool on the 27th.  However we will not be able to make a definite call on this until Tuesday the 25th next week when we will have a look in the pool to make sure that there are fish in there.  Could those of you who previously indicated you could help with a seine on the 27th please reconfirm that you can help.  We will be looking to use around 8 - 10 volunteers.  We will again start at the hatchery around 9.30am or if you wish you can meet us at the spur 4 road at around 9.45 - (please let me know which you intend to do).  We should finish between 1 and 2pm depending on fish numbers.  Bring waders if you can and maybe some lunch.

Thanks for your continued support of the society.

Ed Walls
Volunteer Coordinator
Seymour Salmonid Society
604 288 0511

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2009, 11:29:41 PM »

Hi all volunteers,

We are planning to start adipose clipping steelhead on the 5th of September.  I realise that it is a long weekend so if we do not have enough people we will put it off until the following weekend.  We are also likely to clip on the 12th and maybe the 13th as well but that will be dependent on fish size.  Please indicate on which of these dates you could help us out.

Also the following was seen in the North Shore News.

Pacific Salmon Foundation Community Meeting: Discuss probable causes of declines and identify strategies to improve the production of coho and chinook stocks in the Strait of Georgia, Sept. 8, 7-9 p.m. at the West Vancouver Community Centre, 2121 Marine Dr., West Vancouver.   Refreshments provided.

Thank you for your continued support

Ed Walls
Volunteer Coordinator
Seymour Salmonid Society
604 288 0511

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2009, 10:47:34 AM »

Hi everyone,

Thanks to those that helped with clipping on the 5th.  We were hoping to clip on the 12th as well but we would like the fish to be a bit larger before we do what will be the last of the adipose fin clipping for this year.  As a result we are going to clip the last of the steelhead on Saturday the 19th of September.  Apologies to those of you who indicated that you could help on the 12th/13th.

Start time will be around 9.30-10am at the hatchery.  Bring some lunch and you might want to bring gumboots if you have them. 

Thanks

Ed Walls
Volunteer Coordinator
Seymour Salmonid Society
604 288 0511

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2009, 10:48:04 AM »

Hi Everyone,

We are planning a hatchery pool seine on Thursday the 10th.  Like all seines it will be dependant on river conditions being favourable for us to do the seine safely.  We will start from the hatchery at around 9.30am.  If you have your own waders please bring them along.  If you need waders we do have some we can loan out.  We will probably finish around lunchtime but if there are a lot of fish it will take us more time to get them all processed.  Bring some lunch if you wish.  There is also a possibility that we will do some steelhead clipping in the afternoon but this is not a certainty at this stage.

Please indicate if you can help out by replying to this email

Thanks

Ed Walls
Volunteer Coordinator
Seymour Salmonid Society
604 288 0511

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2009, 10:48:29 AM »

Hi everyone,

In preparation for our pink salmon egg takes planned for early October near the Chilliwack fish hatchery we need to spend 2 days in Centennial Channel putting the trapping structure together. 

We will be looking for at least 4 or 5 volunteers on each day to go up with us in the Hatchery truck.  We will leave from the Beachyard (near the dollarton bridge over the Seymour river) in the morning - I am not sure what time this will be yet - and from there we will head up to the Chilliwack.  If you wish to drive your own vehicle we should be able to organise something and you may be able to help out transporting others. 

You will need to bring lunch and if you have your own waders bring them along.  We can bring some extra waders for those that need them.  Please indicate if you want us to bring waders for you and give us a shoe size.

If you can help out with this please reply to this email.  I will be able to give more details about time and location of departure to those that indicate that they can help

Thanks

Ed Walls
Volunteer Coordinator
Seymour Salmonid Society
604 288 0511