Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Kicker Motor Question  (Read 2010 times)

Sandhead

Kicker Motor Question
« on: June 17, 2008, 12:20:50 PM »

I'm looking into replacing my current merc kicker with something newer and larger. Was wondering if there was a reason why most kicker's are 9.9hp?
I'm thinking of going to 15hp. Are steering controls universal? I'd like to switch from mercury to yamaha and was wondering if i will need to change all the cables for remote steering as well

Why do people go small with a kicker? If i were to use say a 30hp what would be the drawbacks? The boat is a 18 footer with a 115hp 2 stroke
Ain't no HO like a COHO

Moe

Re: Kicker Motor Question
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 12:29:59 PM »

Some lakes have a 10 hp maximum thus 9.9
M

umpo4

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 02:19:59 PM »

More horse power thro's a larger propeller accounting for more speed. Gives you too large a kicker to troll down to a fishing speed ,,,,"ain't goin to happen" just too much . Now if you have a 20-24ft boat go for the 15-20 hp. 18',,,,, 9.9 is perfect. And a good point about the 10hp or less on some lakes.

BOWHUNTER

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 03:17:08 PM »

I would say for sure if you are using in stillwater fishing at all go with 9.9 there are more lakes than you think that have that 10HP limit.

I rented a 16ft Aluminum with a yahaha 4 stroke 9.9 and it was a dream for trolling around the lake very quietly

clownfish

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 07:50:30 AM »

If you don't have a dual steering system ,or if changing over to other controls is too expensive, try the EZSteer http://www.ezsteer.com/index.htm , I've been using it for about four years now and it's great. It makes it easy to swap my 5HP kicker between my 16' Fibreform and my 12' Sears aluminum, no extra hardware to fuss with.

Sandhead

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 09:42:32 AM »

I think if buy another mercury I could probably use my existing steering controls..
My current setup has dual throttles for the main and the kicker with Steering controls. I'm thinking of just using the steering controls and saving some money and buying a motor without the throttle linkages or electric start. Not sure how safe it would be to be going to the back of the boat to adjust the throttle...
Ain't no HO like a COHO

clownfish

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 11:51:46 AM »

;D That (and for general safety) is why I always take someone else along when I take out the "big" boat, I get them to run the throttle. Although, even at full throttle the five horse won't move that boat very fast, good enough for trolling and mostly below Mission on the Fraser. It would be nice to have a dual control setup, maybe on the next boat.

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2008, 07:12:44 PM »

Instead of a dual control look at the pro troll 2 or new digital by troll master.  I have it and it's awesome.  Way more throttle control then you'll ever get with the hand throttle.  Plus, I installed it myself with little work.