Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rainbow trout...  (Read 6256 times)

buzzbomb

Re: Rainbow trout...
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2012, 05:02:50 PM »

When the continents were being split apart some cod became landlocked and adapted to fresh water and became burbot.  They still spawn at the same time as cod in the ocean.  The world record burbot comes from Lake Diefenbaker in Saskatchewan, caught by the Konrad brothers of Alberta and Saskatchewan.  They also hold the previous two world records for rainbow trout, also from Diefenbaker, an artificially created lake.  Several escapes from a fish farm boosted the stocking program, but I think they're all sterile. The brothers, Sean and Adam, spent more time than the average bear learning how to catch fish like that.  They call their company/website fishinggeeks.net.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 09:46:50 PM by buzzbomb »
5% Alc./Vol.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2012, 09:36:59 PM »

--I think there should be an asterisk after those purposely sterile escaped farmed trout.. just like batting records produced by athletes on steroids.
--Nothing against Shawn and Adam who as you said have spent a lot of time to figure out how to catch those record sized fish. I recall quite a debate at the time over the validity of the record but it was given.

--I think more of an uproar if a record breaking Atlantic comes from BC both here and at IGFA.

--To be fair these larger than normal proportioned record fish can occure in nature are also may be less fecund or sterile thus in part explaining their exceptional growth.
--"Andre the Giant" and others have had growth not attributed to intended human intervention.

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2012, 10:09:11 PM »

I don't think anyone should tamper with introducing fish to an area that aren't meant to be there. We think we know by observing and studying but in reality we haven't been around that long to see the real impact. 200 years is different than 1000. Who knows what will happen over longer periods of time. I bet you we will see some bigger problems soon enough.

No kidding; check what has happened to the fishery in most of the lakes where they have stocked Gerrards.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"