Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Seal Hunt – Should B.C. Follow suit?  (Read 15568 times)

bklem

Re: Seal Hunt – Should B.C. Follow suit?
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2010, 12:43:59 AM »

2 blacks and a grizz down last weekend, were doing our part are you?  :P

you deserve a special kind of slow clap.  shame theres not a thumbs down button seeing as how bears make shitty eating anyways.  whats the point of shooting a grizzly? make a nice rug for you?

huntwriter

• Othmar Vohringer Outdoors
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2010, 05:46:44 AM »

... whats the point of shooting a grizzly? make a nice rug for you?

To make sure that there are not to many. Like all other wildlife grizzlies need to be controlled. Despite what you may hear from the media. Grizzly bears are far from an endangered species. The government releases each year a small number of tags for grizzly bears. If you think that is bad then I have you know that the deadliest places for grizzly bear are Banff and Jasper National Park where each year grizzly bears get shot because they become to friendly with people. Grizzlies given a chance will eat people in a heart beat.
Othmar Vohringer - Smart Hunting Strategies (SHS)
http://www.othmarvohringer.com/

Nutterbug

« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2010, 10:14:16 AM »

To make sure that there are not to many. Like all other wildlife grizzlies need to be controlled. Despite what you may hear from the media. Grizzly bears are far from an endangered species. The government releases each year a small number of tags for grizzly bears. If you think that is bad then I have you know that the deadliest places for grizzly bear are Banff and Jasper National Park where each year grizzly bears get shot because they become to friendly with people. Grizzlies given a chance will eat people in a heart beat.

Did you know that the grizzlies' range used to extend all the way to Mexico?

As you're probably well aware, it's much, much smaller than that now.

Nutterbug

« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2010, 10:19:01 AM »

you deserve a special kind of slow clap.  shame theres not a thumbs down button seeing as how bears make shitty eating anyways.  whats the point of shooting a grizzly? make a nice rug for you?

Does the Chinese black market for bear bile and paws also have something to do with it?

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2010, 11:39:56 AM »

Does the Chinese black market for bear bile and paws also have something to do with it?

That's a pretty serious accusation!

You have no idea of the difference between a low life poacher and a hunter. I would suggest that 99% of the hunters in BC care more about the wildlife than most tree huggers!
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

huntwriter

« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2010, 12:08:29 PM »

Did you know that the grizzlies' range used to extend all the way to Mexico?

As you're probably well aware, it's much, much smaller than that now.

I am not talking about the North America grizzly bear range. I am talking about BC and fact is that we have more grizzly bears here than at any time before in recorded history. In fact there are grizzly bears where they have never been seen before, places like between Kelowna and Merritt and the Lower Mainland.

Of course the overall grizzly bear range is much smaller than it used to be, because there more people and more agriculture than 100 years ago. The last thing you want is grizzly bears living anywhere near humans dwellings. Grizzlies are at the top of the natural food chain, meaning they have no inherent respect of anything because all they encounter in the wild  is edible. Hunting grizzlies as a side benefit also teaches these animals to stay away from humans.   

How did we come from seals to bears?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 12:14:38 PM by huntwriter »

Nutterbug

« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2010, 02:37:47 PM »

That's a pretty serious accusation!

You have no idea of the difference between a low life poacher and a hunter. I would suggest that 99% of the hunters in BC care more about the wildlife than most tree huggers!

Sorry.  Not an accusation, but just a question.

wizard

« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2010, 03:47:54 PM »

HW, i'm wondering if you're in favor of a seal cull because of the impact they're having on salmon stocks, or the fact that it's a cull, period.
If you're that concerned about effects seals are having on salmon stocks (I don't you are) then you should be equally passionate about effects from salmon farms, gravel removal and human over harvesting.... are you equally concerned about those factors harming salmon as you are trying to control seal populations?
I haven't heard the same passion from you on known factors that are hurting salmon stocks such as fish farms, etc, but why so passionate about a seal cull that may or not make a difference.

wizard

« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2010, 03:48:51 PM »

sorry* (I dont know you are)

nineweight

« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2010, 04:12:12 PM »

Of the animals on the list you posted Rod, are anyone of them apart from seals as efficient in massing together and hanging around dams so they can easily pick off salmon?

I've never seen a marlin or squid or killer whale or even Orca in the Capilano or Squamish or Vedder zipping around and corralling salmon in.

Should we not ask at whether seals have recently been taking an disproportionally large number of salmon vs their traditional counterparts.

No they all have their own effective means of 'picking off salmon'.  Just because you dont see an Orca in the "vedder zipping around and coralling salmon in' doesnt mean they are not effective hunters... An Orca eats around 500lbs of food each day, majority of which can be salmon...The point is, they are all effective hunters.  If they were not they wouldnt surivive.

For the most part I do not like these ‘environmental management culls’.  Humans played a part in creating these imbalances in the first place and it is always a lot more involved than we lead on, this isn’t just about salmon and seals.  There are endless other species involved in this ‘game’ and directly effected by the population of these species.

huntwriter

« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2010, 04:41:00 PM »

HW, i'm wondering if you're in favor of a seal cull because of the impact they're having on salmon stocks, or the fact that it's a cull, period.
If you're that concerned about effects seals are having on salmon stocks (I don't you are) then you should be equally passionate about effects from salmon farms, gravel removal and human over harvesting.... are you equally concerned about those factors harming salmon as you are trying to control seal populations?
I haven't heard the same passion from you on known factors that are hurting salmon stocks such as fish farms, etc, but why so passionate about a seal cull that may or not make a difference.

I don't care about salmon. Personally I think that seals do not have a huge impact on salmon, but I am not 100% certain because I have not looked into it.

What I care about is natural balance an in the case of seals that balance is way off kilter. Look at habitat like a bucket, if the water in it overflows then it exceeded the carrying capacity of the bucket. It's the same in nature. If a certain animal species population, in this case seals, becomes that numerous that it outgrows the carrying capacity of their particular habitat then we need to reduce the population until a balance is established. If we do nothing then it will affect the animal species, their habitat, and other animals that compete for the same food source adversely.

I really do not know why some people find this so hard to understand.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2010, 04:54:59 PM »

it outgrows the carrying capacity of their particular habitat

::)

This is why I prefer chuckling at lobbyists than arguing with them.

bklem

« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2010, 05:11:10 PM »

I don't care about salmon. Personally I think that seals do not have a huge impact on salmon, but I am not 100% certain because I have not looked into it.

What I care about is natural balance an in the case of seals that balance is way off kilter. Look at habitat like a bucket, if the water in it overflows then it exceeded the carrying capacity of the bucket. It's the same in nature. If a certain animal species population, in this case seals, becomes that numerous that it outgrows the carrying capacity of their particular habitat then we need to reduce the population until a balance is established. If we do nothing then it will affect the animal species, their habitat, and other animals that compete for the same food source adversely.

it sounds like you're spewing a lot of personal thoughts instead of fact.  thanks for the laugh.

Nutterbug

« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2010, 05:45:05 PM »

Nature has drawn a balance and taken care of it for millions of years before man's interference.

Who's to say humans are the most suited to play god, given their track record with the environment?

huntwriter

« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2010, 06:26:46 PM »

Well if you lot find my explanations something to chuckle or laugh about I suggest you look up Valerius Geist and other equally reputable biologist and read what they have to say about seal overpopulation and how it affects habitat. After all who I am with my degree in zoology and animal beaviour study.

I am done with this.