Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2008 Chilliwack River clayslide and gravel operation discussion  (Read 15610 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: 2008 Chilliwack River clayslide and gravel operation discussion
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2008, 01:43:25 AM »

Time to organize some funding!

I think you and Everyday will be young blood that are desperately needed in the Chilliwack fishing community when it comes to keeping the organizations going. ;) It would be a positive addition as most who are involved have been doing it for decades and they can use some more fishing time.

The Chilliwack River Action Committee has been putting on a fundraiser each year during the fall salmon season. Unfortunately, despite of how concerned anglers are when it comes to losing fishing time due to the clayslide, support of this organization's effort on habitat enhancement and clayslide stabilization from the community has steadily dropped over the years. Last year, the turnout at the fundraiser was pathetic. If every angler who was fishing on the Chilliwack River dropped by that day and purchased the $10 draw ticket, which included a lunch, then we would have a significant amount of fund to get things started. I haven't heard anything from Dave, the chair of the committee, about putting on the fundraiser again. If he doesn't this year, I wouldn't be too surprised as the amount of time and effort he and other volunteers put in was simply not paid off by the support.

If people want more fishing opportunities, they should not rant about the lack of support from the government. Get involved, or time to choose a different hobby, because the slides aren't going away.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2008, 07:47:25 AM »

Time to organize some funding!

I think you and Everyday will be young blood that are desperately needed in the Chilliwack fishing community when it comes to keeping the organizations going. ;) It would be a positive addition as most who are involved have been doing it for decades and they can use some more fishing time.

The Chilliwack River Action Committee has been putting on a fundraiser each year during the fall salmon season. Unfortunately, despite of how concerned anglers are when it comes to losing fishing time due to the clayslide, support of this organization's effort on habitat enhancement and clayslide stabilization from the community has steadily dropped over the years. Last year, the turnout at the fundraiser was pathetic. If every angler who was fishing on the Chilliwack River dropped by that day and purchased the $10 draw ticket, which included a lunch, then we would have a significant amount of fund to get things started. I haven't heard anything from Dave, the chair of the committee, about putting on the fundraiser again. If he doesn't this year, I wouldn't be too surprised as the amount of time and effort he and other volunteers put in was simply not paid off by the support.

If people want more fishing opportunities, they should not rant about the lack of support from the government. Get involved, or time to choose a different hobby, because the slides aren't going away.
CRAC 2 ? ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2008, 08:07:51 AM »

Hmm, I guess it's too late to do some blockades of the gravel grabs to get some media attention...

That's too bad, it would have been a great opportunity.

Cheers,
Nicole
One day soon. :-\ Hard to do when I am in Prince George abusing my body in the Senior Games at badminton.  ;D It was worth the trip as had some great fishing on the way up as well last night they tasted good at the BBQ too. ;D ;D

Actually once we get the gravel issue straightened out on the Fraser we need to get organized to do something on the Vedder in time for the next assault on this system in 2 years time as it an embarrassment to many of us that FOC and the Ministry of Environment lets this happen. The thing is some politicans have done a great job  ::) ??? brain washing the public this is all about flood control when we know it is nothing but a gravel grab plain and simple. Now that I am 65 I could get a bit militant and besides I see Nicole has a connection with Harper and she will come to my aid if needed. ;D ;D

Time to head to the badminton court and try for a gold, a long trip to it with at least 10 games today. :D

To get back on topic, it appears we will have poor fishing conditions this year because of the slide that has opened up, disappointing to many, especially those that have to drive some way to get to the river only to see it out but of course to some it does not matter, oops better no go there, sorry Rod. ;D

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2008, 09:35:53 AM »

These where not my photos, I just found them on an other site and thought everyone here would like to see them. It just amazes me that the minister of enviroment has done nothing to help this river. Does he not live out there. It sure would be nice to see a change in government especially to one that actually cares about the enviroment in stead of just giving us lip service.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2008, 09:52:49 AM »

Just received a reply from Dave. There isn't going to be a fundraiser this year.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 03:36:51 PM by Rodney »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2008, 06:13:04 PM »

These where not my photos, I just found them on an other site and thought everyone here would like to see them. It just amazes me that the minister of enviroment has done nothing to help this river. Does he not live out there. It sure would be nice to see a change in government especially to one that actually cares about the enviroment in stead of just giving us lip service.
Thanks to the person that took them and I agree we need a Provincial government change badly. That is coming from myself that worked on one of the Provincial Riding Associations for two terms as I thought I could have some influence for making some positive changes environmentally and on some other issues, I thought I had some success for a while but they have become too arrogant and put big business in some cases before our environment and our fish stocks so I tendered my resignation a few months ago.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2008, 08:36:41 PM »

Was it not this organization that refused to come out to accept our donation from last years steelhead derby because he said it just was not worth his time for so little money  ??? . And you wonder why people do not want to support them.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2008, 07:47:20 AM »

Was it not this organization that refused to come out to accept our donation from last years steelhead derby because he said it just was not worth his time for so little money  ??? . And you wonder why people do not want to support them.
Ouch. Time to write to Mr Penner NOW, it is  an election year and ask he get some of the Living Rivers to CRAC to fix this problem and ask for a reply, then post his reply here in the forum. I wonder how many of you will do so? I have and I have a reply and will try and find it when I return from PG.

Rodney may wish to create a new topic on this and lets get the letters going. E-mail Penner at env.minister@gov.bc.ca, thanks to all that will take the time to do so.

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2008, 10:24:04 AM »

Hello Mr. Penner.

My name is Dion Lauriente. I am a fisherman that is concerned with the conditions of the Chillwack/Vedder river system. On a recent trip to the river I fished a run known as "Ranger Run" and noticed that a portion of the river was running past a clay bank. As I fished I noticed a portion of the clay bank slump off into the river. When I returned home I heard reports in the following days that this clay bank had caused the visibility in the river to diminish to nearly nothing, making fishing impossible. As only ~25% of the river runs through this channel near the clay bank it should be a relatively easy diversion back to the main channel.

From what I understand there is a Living Rivers Trust Fund that has been supplied with tens of millions of dollars by the BC government to help maintain and protect the rivers in our province, yet the Chilliwack River Action Committee (CRAC) has not recieve any of that money. The Chilliwack River is one of the most fished rivers (by recreational anglers) in the province so it seems silly to me that one of the most active groups in maintaining the river recieve no money. By not fixing this problem you are only wasting the money put into habitat restoration and the hatchery program in recent year.

Please respond with your course of action to fix this problem.

Thank you,
Dion L.

Attached are two photos of the clay bank.

Sent 10:23AM Friday September 12, 2008.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2008, 10:55:28 AM »

I just sent of a letter as well and I will copy it to the NDP's environment critic as well. Here is a copy of my letter.

Dear Mr . Penner

I am writing to you today as I am very concerned about the condition of the Vedder/Chilliwack river after a massive clay slide happened on the upper portions of the river. The clay slide has happened in an area known as "the ranger run" and it has caused the water to turn to a milky grey color. This sediment will continue to come down river and settle as a sludge on the gravel beads that our precious salmon stocks use as their spawning grounds. This sludge if allowed to continue will eventually destroy these spawning grounds by suffocating the eggs and destroy future runs of these wild salmon. Action needs to be taken now by this government before it is too late. I understand that there is money available through the Living Rivers Trust Fund. I also understand that the Chilliwack River Action Committee had applied for funds but was refused. I believe this is the perfect opportunity to change that decision and provide them the funds so that work can begin to divert the river away from this bank. The river as it runs right now is 25% on the side where the slide occurred and 75% on the opposite bank so fixing this would not take much if done right away. I hope you take the time out of your busy schedule and pay this area a visit so that you can see first hand how devastating this is going to be to the river and all that it provides to the community of Chilliwack. Thank you for your time and I hope to here a positive response from you.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 11:11:24 AM by fly_guy »

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2008, 12:57:00 PM »

Email sent:

Greetings Mr. Penner,

My name is Spencer Rolls, and I am a concerned angler from the lower mainland.  I have been fishing this area for as long as I can remember, and have spent  large amount of that time specifically on the Chillwack/Vedder River.  Many great days have been spent there with friends and family, and many memories have been created.

Unfortunately, at this time, I am worried all that I will be left with are memories.  Recent clayslide activity on the Vedder River has created a huge siltation issue on this prized waterway.  Besides possibly creating a write-off for this coming fall salmon fishing season, I worry that this clay silt may suffocate the eggs that are being deposited in the riverbed by our valuable Pacific Salmon.

Mr. Penner, this river is not only important as a source of revenue to local businesses and tackle shops, but it's important to people like myself that value our resources.  The conditions of the Chilliwack Vedder system have been degrading ever year due to litter (and insufficient garbage bins), lack of enforcement of regulations, and the various claybanks on the river.  I fear for the future of the Vedder.

I had been looking forward to another season of fresh air and camaraderie on the water, but with the current river conditions that looks like it may not happen.

I understand that there are more than enough funds available for situations like this through the Living Rivers Trust Fund.  Please hear our concerns and divert the necessary money to fix this problem - I believe the Chilliwack River Action Committee is willing to do the work, but has been refused the money.

I look forward to your response.

Regards,
Spencer Rolls

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2008, 02:10:27 PM »

Global News report that the government anticipate a surplus of approximately $1 billion for this fiscal years. Surely they can afford a few dollars to stabilize the river.

jeff

« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2008, 10:04:56 PM »

i was surprised to see gravel removal this time of year i thought because fish were starting to move up that removing gravel would not be allowed
Enjoying the water..........

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2008, 10:19:56 PM »

The fish are not spawning yet so It won't interfere with them anyways. Right now the thing to be conserned about is the one foot visibility (clay slide that caused it) that is slowly building up on the gravel beds where they spawn  :'(

Water is perfect right now.. fish wont get spooked and they can see your bait. One thing to be aware of Lickman road and the road that leads to the train bridge are both CLOSED for gravel removal. Visibility is around 1.5 feet at bridge and gets better as you go down river (since it is settling on bottom). Max vis is around 2.5 feet unless you go up above the slide where it is unlimited. Risky coming out if you live in the city, not lots of fish around yet and you are taking your chances with the water.

Tight Lines
Dan

jeff

« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2008, 09:25:04 AM »

Dan thanks for the info about the gravel removal i didn't realize that but with the clay how much of an impact will that have on fish trying to spawn and are fishing moving up river then and going right past the clay or does the clay not affect there swim upstream
Enjoying the water..........