Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lamiglas vs Fenwick preference?  (Read 4193 times)

Sinergy

Lamiglas vs Fenwick preference?
« on: July 30, 2017, 03:46:32 PM »

This will be my first year going for pinks I just started fishing last year when the chum were in.
I was wondering what brand is better.
I have heard of Fenwick before but not lamiglas
The Fenwick is a ssx I believe from army navy 8 foot 6 medium moderate rod and the lamiglas x11 is a 8 6 medium fast action what is the better brand This will be for pinks and coho and steelhead maybe. I went a few times to the vedder not even the people I ran into while going up the river didn't  even see a fish.

CohoJake

• Old Timer
Re: Lamiglas vs Fenwick preference?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 04:29:22 PM »

This will be my first year going for pinks I just started fishing last year when the chum were in.
I was wondering what brand is better.
I have heard of Fenwick before but not lamiglas
The Fenwick is a ssx I believe from army navy 8 foot 6 medium moderate rod and the lamiglas x11 is a 8 6 medium fast action what is the better brand This will be for pinks and coho and steelhead maybe. I went a few times to the vedder not even the people I ran into while going up the river didn't  even see a fish.
The X-11 series is the cheapest rod Lamiglas makes - for years they were known for making high quality but expensive rods.  I bought the 8 6 for my pink spinning rod this year, and it seems ok, not amazing.  Would be fine for coho and even small springs in the lower Vedder if you are primarily casting lures, but it isn't long enough for float fishing and would have a hard time in the faster currents you see upstream of Vedder Crossing.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2017, 04:42:10 PM »

I own both a Fenwick and Lamiglas. Both are good. Personal preference.

Birkenhead

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2017, 05:42:29 PM »

Either brand is good. But as CohoJake mentioned an 8'6" rod is not the best for float fishing. Look for something like a 9'6" or even 10'6" rod. A good example would be the Fenwick Eagle series.

Also don't discount the Trophy XL rods. I have a 10'6" matched with an Abu Garcia C3  which fishes well on much bigger waters then the Vedder.

96XJ

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2017, 08:00:37 PM »

I spent a lot of time looking for new rods last year as well , never really liked the Lamiglas x11 , ended up with a Fenwick HMX 10.6 ft 10 -20lb float rod and a Cabelas 10ft fish eagle 8-15lb for spinning , really happy with both purchases

Sinergy

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2017, 08:04:41 PM »

I got a 10 6 med heavy fast action okuma for my chums and chinook. I saw the eagle 50 but cabelas is pretty far. And need a rod for this weekend going to squamish on the long weekend.

Sinergy

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2017, 08:07:24 PM »

Oh maybe I'll go with a 10 footer. Would a low profile like the silver max work on such a long rod. I thought a c3 was too big for pinks

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2017, 08:19:23 PM »

It depends on the technique you will be using it for.  10 feet is really too long for jigging for pinks and coho, but works just fine for retrieving lures and has the added advantage of giving you plenty of distance where you really need it.  I picked up the 10'6 X11, it is rated for 6-12 lb line, but it just seemed like too much rod for pinks.  I would definitely go with a spinning rod/reel if you are looking for something to toss lures for pinks and coho.

Birkenhead

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2017, 08:37:16 PM »

Oh maybe I'll go with a 10 footer. Would a low profile like the silver max work on such a long rod. I thought a c3 was too big for pinks

Yes you can use the Silver Max but I would not use for Chinook or bigger Steelhead As for the C3, I find it is a good all around reel for my style. Some would say it is too big for pinks - but I know it will hold it's on all local salmon species in fresh or tidal waters.

As for 10' being too long, I prefer a 10'6" for all around salmon fishing. However in one of Rodney's old Pink Salmon videos, he shows a 9 foot as his favourite. So it demonstrates that each person needs to decide what is best for their style and use.