Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Below The Navel is The Place-Seriously!  (Read 1733 times)

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
Below The Navel is The Place-Seriously!
« on: October 15, 2007, 07:21:48 PM »

Now that I've got your attention.......

There are always new guys here looking to pick up tips and it's great to see the river fishing info flying around it's informative and entertaining.

One important aspect of actually fighting a fish that I see many people get wrong is the position of the rod against the body.

Holding the rod too high messes up the angle in terms of applying pressure-hold the rod butt below your navel and put your hands as far up the foregrip as possible-keep that bend in the rod.

You can test this for youself the next time you hit an old boot of a Chum-try it the way I've posted to start then shift the rod butt under your sternum or even higher like so many people do-no contest. 8)

DionJL

• Old Timer
Re: Below The Navel is The Place-Seriously!
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 09:00:53 PM »

Also, remember to not just fight a fish with your tip pointing straight up. Use side pressure to disorient the fish. You can often land a fish way quicker that way, which can be helpful if you plan on releasing the fish. There was a good article in a recent STS on landing big fish.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 09:45:52 PM »

I try to keep anough muscle mass to just reel in the fish without using my whole body as a fulcrum. 50 % of Canadians are overweight. :) I suspect your in that boat. Get with a program that helps reel them in. 8)
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2007, 11:45:17 PM »

Always keep a tight line! Heres a tip that will help you when you have a fish on and the water running below you is unsuitable to be battling a fish, like fast flow or rapids. If you know the water below you is a bad position to fight a fish, put as much pressure as need on the fish so it will make a move and head up stream, now take off some of that pressure, while still keeping a tight line. The fish will now move up river taking this new path of least resistance, not only are you keep the fish out of the danger water, but your also using the current to your advantage too tire out the fish.  ;) I used this trick on a couple steelhead last year, and it definately saved me from losing a fish.  :)
The Bigger The Better!

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 11:05:09 AM »

50 % of Canadians are overweight. :) I suspect your in that boat.

Not me. ;D I've caught a few fish that weighed more than me. (no manginas either) Angle the head where you want the fish to go. Another thing to check out is Tarpon fishing. YouTube or Google light line Tarpon and see what you can find for battling info. Very Big fish can be landed on light line if you apply maximum pressure throughout the fight.

Fill a milk jug with water (4L=4kg~8Lb) tie 8lb maxima to the handle and rig the line through a pulley (mounted to a table) and then feed the line through your rod. Play around with the amount of force required to lift the jug off the ground. Once you are acustom to how much force 8lb Maxima (or your leader of choice) can handle you will be able to apply that to any fish you hook, maintaining that maximum force, and tiring the fish as quickly as physically possible.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007, 11:07:47 AM »

If Dion's overweight, then I need to take up Sumo Wrestling. ;D