Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Buzz Bomb doesn't rotate  (Read 23907 times)

rjs

• work is over rated !!!!
Re: Buzz Bomb doesn't rotate
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2013, 04:48:03 PM »

I fish pinks with buzz bombs and retrieve real slow..... and have had fish fallow it right to the boat ! matter of fact lots of fish bite right when its almost pulled out of the water ! oh yah, and were r usually anchored in shallow water !I personally believe they like the way bb wobble when retrieved slow !

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2013, 05:07:05 PM »

I fish pinks with buzz bombs and retrieve real slow..... and have had fish fallow it right to the boat ! matter of fact lots of fish bite right when its almost pulled out of the water ! oh yah, and were r usually anchored in shallow water !I personally believe they like the way bb wobble when retrieved slow !
Any spoon or spinner would give you the same result. Buzz bomb jigged in deep water is what there best used for. We have has stellar days on coho out in the chuck using them in Active pass. I have never personally used them from shore and have not seen anyone using them from shore in my travels. But if they are being fished ethically and not for snagging from shore then so be it...

kalex60

« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2013, 05:10:53 PM »

What was the size of that buzz bomb that the fish swallowed?
2.5"

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2013, 05:35:51 PM »

By no means am I saying they won't, hell, if you drop a buzz bomb down off a boat and just leaving it hanging there it will catch fish, may not be the kind your after {dog fish} but it will still work. They work better when mooched or pulled in and reeling in the slack though.

They don't call it a "buzz" bomb for nothing. ;)

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2013, 10:28:25 PM »

Should have noted in my earlier post - I use smaller hooks with buzz bombs (#2 bait hooks usually) which nearly eliminates foul hooking.... also helps with snags....
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

Animal Chin

« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2013, 12:01:34 AM »

Never mind.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 12:09:49 AM by Animal Chin »

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2013, 12:30:12 PM »

By the way, the buzz bomb was originally designed by Rex Field as a casting lure for the shoreline piers- in Comox, I believe, and gained popularity as a vertical lure later.

Rex Field was a neighbour at the time he developed the buzz bomb to supplement his business of making salmon plugs.   He used them for everything,  including cutthroat trout in the lakes around Campbell River.

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2013, 12:34:04 PM »

Rex Field was a neighbour at the time he developed the buzz bomb to supplement his business of making salmon plugs.   He used them for everything,  including cutthroat trout in the lakes around Campbell River.
Ive used them to jig up and down vertically in Chilliwack lake to catch bull trout...

islanddude

« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2013, 08:20:18 AM »

Caught hundreds of salmon on buzz bombs. They work great casting from the shore or boat. Try different retrieves,fall time,etc. A hook,piece of wool and the right weight and placement of sinker is a far greater snagging device than a buzz bomb.

Ambassador

« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2013, 11:35:45 AM »

I was using a 2" Buzz Bomb with a #2 hook in Furry Creek a couple weeks ago and was having decent luck chucking it out as far as I could. The fish were hitting it on the first or second rod lift. I think it is all about how you retrieve as my 2 buddies were using the same setup with not as much luck. Cast it far, let it sink for a few seconds, lift your rod tip, let it sink a few feet, reel in a few feet, lift your tip, let it sink a few feet, repeat. 4 caught, 1 landed, no foul hooks. They are great - depending on where you are casting them from. Not recommended for somewhere like the Squamish River where foul hooking would almost be guaranteed with one.
"Perhaps fishing is, for me, only an excuse to be near rivers"
Roderick Haig-Brown

Ned

« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2013, 05:54:56 PM »

I agree with Rodney Mr Z ... keep buzz-bombing, jigging, spinning or whatever else you do to entice a bite. The intent to lure is vastly different than the action of snagging/ripping your line.

SteelHunter

« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2013, 09:10:03 PM »

Buzzbomb was on fire for me today at no.5 road , landed 2 , lost 3 plus many missed bites. Keep the retreive really slow :)
A few others using buzzbombs had luck also and couple spoon guys.

Yvrsilver

« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2013, 09:24:54 PM »

My 2" hot pink buzz bomb had 3 times more action around me then anyone else today , only thing out of my control that I could deal with was the smell of human touch so some wd40 may have hit it hmm  :o

SteelHunter

« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2013, 09:28:29 PM »

My 2" hot pink buzz bomb had 3 times more action around me then anyone else today , only thing out of my control that I could deal with was the smell of human touch so some wd40 may have hit it hmm  :o

You put wd40 on your buzzbomb?  :o

Yvrsilver

« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2013, 09:34:41 PM »

Some of my sturgeon fishing friends marinate their bait in it , crazy eh