Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The HST vote - making a decision  (Read 125012 times)

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
Re: The HST vote - making a decision
« Reply #315 on: July 21, 2011, 07:14:55 PM »

Are you suggesting it's the Liberals fault that Rafe thinks the HST is increasing from 10% to 12% ?

I was not even refering to what Rafe said. I was just giving the facts. But I guess some folks are OK with being fed bulldroppings.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #316 on: July 22, 2011, 04:36:25 AM »

The jobs and the HST myth:

7.3 % of British Columbians unemployed in June,but the western provinces without the HST -- Saskatchewan 4.9 per cent, Manitoba 5.5 per cent and Alberta 5.6 per cent.

http://

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #317 on: July 22, 2011, 07:12:56 AM »

The GST was not brought in to help with the deficit or social services. 

The only way a government can pay for the health care, education and roads everyone wants, is to tax us. 

The tax cannot be decreased to 10% immediately as it would have a negative impact on the budget. The deficit would be higher than forecast so there would be an outcry from the opposition. Going forward as the economy grows they can work the discount into the budget. The GST stayed at 7% for 10 years before it was lowered to 5%...

are you actually reading what you're typing?

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #318 on: July 22, 2011, 07:52:52 AM »

;D ;D ;D It's the hailstorm of jobs falling from the sky or the revenue neutral story sputtering in the background. It can be very distracting..... ::)

« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 07:55:30 AM by Novabonker »

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #319 on: July 22, 2011, 07:54:46 AM »

I actually do read it. 

But I'm sure you were probably trying to make a point even though I haven't a clue what it is.......
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #320 on: July 22, 2011, 07:56:11 AM »

I actually do read it.  

But I'm sure you were probably trying to make a point even though I haven't a clue what it is.......

Then why so many contradictions?

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #321 on: July 22, 2011, 08:03:51 AM »

;D ;D ;D

Nice to see your smile again Novabonker!  ;D 

You missed the fact that the HST has also been ruining the weather in BC!
While British Columbian's are suffering with cool, wet weather; the western provinces without the HST -- Saskatchewan, Manitoba and Alberta are enjoying sunshine and 30+ degree weather......   
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #322 on: July 22, 2011, 08:07:17 AM »

Why don't you and Blaydrnr get together and come up with a post that asks a full question...   

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #323 on: July 22, 2011, 01:44:58 PM »

People flocking to the States to take advantage of the weak American dollar according to Global news last night.  ::)

I wonder if the 12% HST sends a few more across the line.  :-\ Personally is it really worth waiting in line for a long period of time and the gas one burns. Oh the gas is cheaper there too. Also I believe in supporting our local stores as much as possible even though many are owned by companies from other countries.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #324 on: July 22, 2011, 03:51:10 PM »

You got that right Chris. I hold off buying some things till I go to Alberta. Now with the our dollar against the US yen ...yikes.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #325 on: July 22, 2011, 06:26:50 PM »

Why don't you and Blaydrnr get together and come up with a post that asks a full question...   

Are you just being silly? I asked you miles of questions that you wouldn't respond to because you just couldn't put a coat of polish on those turds. Would you like me to dredge up your non responses to them with the simple questions? There's a pile in this thread.
Try again.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #326 on: July 22, 2011, 07:09:38 PM »

The reason I started this thread was to provide information so that folks reading it could make an informed decision on the HST.  You have noted correctly that I ignored some posts which I felt did not contribute anything to the topic and were just emotional rants interspersed with personal jabs.

The following comments didn't add anything to the topic and I should have ignored them as well.

StillAqua

« Reply #327 on: July 22, 2011, 08:15:22 PM »

The reason I started this thread was to provide information so that folks reading it could make an informed decision on the HST. 

This whole HST controversy has never been about whether or not the HST is a good or bad tax; it's about people wanting to deliver a smackdown to a provincial party that has become arrogant, dishonest and unresponsive to it's electorate. Every party needs a good slapping around now and then when they get too big for their britches. If British Columbians feel it's worth the cost, then so be it.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #328 on: July 22, 2011, 10:34:08 PM »

i wasn't really asking a question...i was merely being rhetorical towards your response to my so called rambling.

Novabonker pretty much hit the hammer on the nail.

like you stated before, a tax is a tax, regardless of how it's packaged...it's all tied into the strength of the economy and it determines the stability of our finances...the problem is government create or raise taxes for the sake of social services, but they never seem to have enough so they cut back on needed programs then they want to create more taxes and raise existing ones.

forget semantics and deal with reality...just like here in Richmond where they spent millions building the B line for a bus only lane that was created and dismantled 2 yrs later to make room for the Sky Train...Years of planning and millions of tax payer dollars for what?...  how about the fast cat ferries...budgeted for 200 million...went over budget by 300 million then sold for the price of scrap metal at a mere 20 million dollars....also funded by tax payers...now the controversy with the ferry CEO and his rich pension plan which exceeds the national and american average..(board of director approved)....the new addition of the carbon tax for gas when the price of crude oil dropped...

the list goes on...everything tax based and poorly managed...so forgive me, if i'm a little skeptical.

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #329 on: July 22, 2011, 10:36:23 PM »

The reason I started this thread was to provide information so that folks reading it could make an informed decision on the HST.  You have noted correctly that I ignored some posts which I felt did not contribute anything to the topic and were just emotional rants interspersed with personal jabs.

The following comments didn't add anything to the topic and I should have ignored them as well.

Personal jabs offend you? But you don't take the high ground and deliver your own?That's a rich one old bean. Glass houses and rocks leap to mind.Sweeping your own doorstep before commenting on the folks next door.  ;)

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, you skipped (AGAIN) over those pesky employment stats.Or the "revenue neutral" whopper.  Don't those darn pesky facts always get in the way of a good fable? You can spin to your heart's content, but the wheels are getting pretty wobbly The rain since the HST introduction has been thick with 50 dollar bills......... and bovine scat.

The reason I started this thread was to provide information so that folks reading it could make an informed decision on the HST.

Funny- ME TOO! ::)

You have noted correctly that I ignored some posts which I felt did not contribute anything to the topic and were just emotional rants interspersed with personal jabs.

Thank you Mr. Spock - LIVE LONG AND PROSPER! ;D

Just can't help yourself either huh? ;)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 10:41:54 PM by Novabonker »