Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Squamish - Nov. 18th - Season over  (Read 2677 times)

aquaboy24

• Old Timer
  • Nuclear Fishin'
Squamish - Nov. 18th - Season over
« on: November 18, 2005, 11:59:42 PM »

Spent the afternoon up at Squamish (retyping this report, as it didn't go through the first time).

Anyways..drove down to the spit and watched seals breaching like salmon - about 20 in all..never seen anything like it. It looked like a pod of whales. Very cool. Thought that that was a good sign. Up to the "crowd". 1 fly fisherman, and two guys dragging the river for anything that moved. And man - those fish were ugly. Not a chromer to be seen. There was about 300 fish in the lower section of that strip that were spawning out in the shallows, so my girlfriend and I just took that in for a while, and talked about salmon...it was a beautiful day.

Headed up to my secret little spot and dropped down to the Cheakmus. Fished a new set up I learned about, and actually hooked one little beauty of a bull trout. This made me feel pretty good, as I was sure most of them were gone after the last big spill. My girl friend was taking pictures of eagles when she came back and pointed out fresh bear tracks all around us, so we scrambled back into the vehicle and made our way out. Even though it was slow- it was a great way for me to wrap up my salmon season - beautiful day, beautiful girl, beautiful country.

Its now time for me to don the diving gear, and get ever last $$$ out of my tidal license on crab. Cheers to everyone.
You don't make friends with salad.

Floater

• Old Timer
Re: Squamish - Nov. 18th - Season over
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2005, 12:18:16 AM »

beautiful day, beautiful girl, beautiful country.

Only in Canada. :'( (tears of joy)
[

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2005, 02:23:05 AM »

Don't give up just yet Aquaboy, the season is not over. ;) It could simply be that you were not there during the high tide, which took place early this morning. I've had days in November like what happened today, but catching countless chrome chum salmon a few days later. :) Lovely day to be on the Squamish River valley anyways, these clear mornings are cold...

capman

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2005, 08:36:01 AM »

Hi Aquaboy, I think it was you and your girlfriend that I passed by while you were sitting by the river. If that was you it was nice to meet. :D
Rodney well said, it is important to target those chrome chum salmon during the high tide and I think you to told me the same thing while we had a quick chat.
Cheers

golfnut23

• fins and skins!
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2005, 11:12:49 AM »

ive caught lots of chums in the squamish but never a chrome one, thats what i hear though lots of chrome chums in high tide ???
My hands smell like fish again.............

GoldHammeredCroc

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2005, 11:59:03 AM »

Thats true definitely early in the season for sure.  About a month ago was nothing but chrome fish.

golfnut23

• fins and skins!
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2005, 12:33:46 PM »

i wish i could find a nice girl to fish with  :(
My hands smell like fish again.............

aquaboy24

• Old Timer
  • Nuclear Fishin'
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2005, 10:32:41 PM »

that was me Capman..nice to meet ya!
You don't make friends with salad.

Steelhead King

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2005, 11:06:14 PM »

Friends of mine fishing the lower Squamish yesterday.. Him and his 2 friends landed about a dozen very fresh chum, some of them still have lice on them.  Choice of fly was a popsical style tube in lime green and with a size 2 circle hook. 

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2005, 12:07:45 AM »

Anybody fished for them in the first week of December ?

Chromie

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2005, 06:30:33 AM »

My two Buddys where up in Squamish on the weekend for a day and they landed 2 chrome cohos one dirty coho and 2 big dollies ............ on the fly............ i fish the squamish thru the whole winter thats when it picks up for those big dollies and the late cohos .........im goin up there this weekend to dip my fly and catch some nice fish on the fly ................... ill post a report after the weekend......... 

DaN ThE MaN

• Old Timer
  • Darn she got away!!
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2005, 04:29:58 PM »

Take Pics!!!!

nigglesworth

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2005, 10:43:29 PM »

chromie has the right idea....  i love it up there!!!  And a great place to fly fish!