Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help choosing pontoon boat  (Read 1709 times)

Danny21

Help choosing pontoon boat
« on: July 21, 2015, 04:56:26 PM »

I am hoping to purchase a pontoon boat, but I am unsure of what I need to look for. I'm looking for a pontoon to take in class 3 rivers and lakes. How long does it need to be? certain makes you would recommend? material? Any help, or tips on what to look for, or models you have experience with- would be greatly appreaciated.

Thanks,
Dan

rootbeer

Re: Help choosing pontoon boat
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2015, 09:45:13 AM »

You might try asking this question in one of the fly fishing forums.

sandy999

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2015, 04:53:14 PM »

I am hoping to purchase a pontoon boat, but I am unsure of what I need to look for. I'm looking for a pontoon to take in class 3 rivers and lakes. How long does it need to be? certain makes you would recommend? material? Any help, or tips on what to look for, or models you have experience with- would be greatly appreaciated.

Thanks,
Dan

When a person is talking about any kind of a blow up fishing platform, be it a pontoon boat or float tube I feel the most important issue is your own safety. I also feel that as a general rule a person usually gets what they pay for. If by chance you happen to stick a fly into your boat and you start to deflate and sink would you be willing to have parted with the extra cash to have a better quality boat. I think that a 8ft. pontoon is large enough under most conditions although when I bought my boat I bought a 9ft. Outcast because the difference between a 8ft. and a 9ft. was at that time minimal. I have been very happy with my choice and it comes with a great anchor system and a person can put on any size electic or gas motor that you wish within reason. I use a 50lb. thrust Minn Kota on mine and it works great. If there is a problem it is because the boat does not have a keel so you have to pay attentin to the steering of the boat. My rule of thumb is when safety is a concern you usually only get what you pay for. This is not a item you want to go cheap on. Buy the very best that you can afford. When I bought my boat I bought it in the Fraser Valley because I could get a better buy than going south. Also at that time the dollar was at par. Now you are talking a hugh difference. If you would like to know where I found the best deal just send me a message and I will forward you the info. I will not talk about the pros and cons of different company`s on a open forum. Best of luck to you.

Danny21

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2015, 05:11:33 PM »

When a person is talking about any kind of a blow up fishing platform, be it a pontoon boat or float tube I feel the most important issue is your own safety. I also feel that as a general rule a person usually gets what they pay for. If by chance you happen to stick a fly into your boat and you start to deflate and sink would you be willing to have parted with the extra cash to have a better quality boat. I think that a 8ft. pontoon is large enough under most conditions although when I bought my boat I bought a 9ft. Outcast because the difference between a 8ft. and a 9ft. was at that time minimal. I have been very happy with my choice and it comes with a great anchor system and a person can put on any size electic or gas motor that you wish within reason. I use a 50lb. thrust Minn Kota on mine and it works great. If there is a problem it is because the boat does not have a keel so you have to pay attentin to the steering of the boat. My rule of thumb is when safety is a concern you usually only get what you pay for. This is not a item you want to go cheap on. Buy the very best that you can afford. When I bought my boat I bought it in the Fraser Valley because I could get a better buy than going south. Also at that time the dollar was at par. Now you are talking a hugh difference. If you would like to know where I found the best deal just send me a message and I will forward you the info. I will not talk about the pros and cons of different company`s on a open forum. Best of luck to you.
Awesome. Safety is definitely a priority and I want to make sure I know what to look for. Thank you for your reply and I will send you a PM.
-Dan