Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Worst sturgeon fishermen I have ever seen?  (Read 5848 times)

Tylsie

Worst sturgeon fishermen I have ever seen?
« on: July 13, 2015, 01:39:03 PM »

I went for a walk along a very popular trail along the Fraser last night and saw several people with rods in the water, and few that were in their holders. Now I know that it is legal to fish the Fraser for a variety of species throughout the year and do so myself when I get the opportunity. But what I saw last night left me concerned. I admit I have no way of knowing what people are fishing for but when I see several bar rods rigged with spin n' glows, bells, and weights on the beach I cannot help but wonder what is in the water.

What is the responsibility of a sportsman in this situation? We have very right to fish for white fish, pike minnows, suckers and more and should a salmon take the hook that, to me, is incidental and fair. But we cannot target salmon! As far as I could prove they are the worst sturgeon fishermen in the world, but my gut says they were targeting salmon.

fisherforever

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
Re: Worst sturgeon fishermen I have ever seen?
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 03:02:57 PM »

Next time go make small talk with them an ask. ;) Then call RAPP if you think what they are doing is poaching.

Funeral Of Hearts

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2015, 08:23:25 PM »

Maybe they legitametly don't know the regulations or are nust learning to fish. I tend to give people the benifit of the doubt and take an educational approach. Ask them what they are targeting, have they caught anything, hows their day going and then decide if a RAPP call is needed. Too many people calling in for a service that is already stretched so thin (Although if they are poaching for sure, call it in).

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2015, 11:11:23 PM »

I disagree. I like to wish people are just ignorant to the regs but they should be brought to there attention. And the more phone calls that go into RAPP the better. Let the officer decide if they just need a lesson on regs. I find your logic of not calling to RAPP because they are already spread thin a little confusing. If nobody uses the system are they going to beef it up or thin it out some more!?

TheFishingLad

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2015, 11:29:37 PM »

I disagree. I like to wish people are just ignorant to the regs but they should be brought to there attention. And the more phone calls that go into RAPP the better. Let the officer decide if they just need a lesson on regs. I find your logic of not calling to RAPP because they are already spread thin a little confusing. If nobody uses the system are they going to beef it up or thin it out some more!?
Buddy was saying investigate first, educate, gauge situation then RAPP it up if needed.

I'll be here to translate all week.

Funeral Of Hearts

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2015, 11:45:43 PM »

Lol
Thanks for translating.
i was indeed saying investigate and educate first. We arent all born proficient anglers that know the regs inside and out at all times of the year. If they dont listen, continue fishing illegally etc.. by all means call it in.

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2015, 07:27:59 AM »

Maybe they legitametly don't know the regulations or are nust learning to fish. I tend to give people the benifit of the doubt and take an educational approach. Ask them what they are targeting, have they caught anything, hows their day going and then decide if a RAPP call is needed. Too many people calling in for a service that is already stretched so thin (Although if they are poaching for sure, call it in).

More calls they are aware of a problem, can try to get more boots or prevent being gutted.  Call it in.

Ignorance is no excuse.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2015, 11:19:22 AM »

I have had a lot of polite conversations on the Cap - single barbless hooks,  no bait, limit/species questions etc, and 9/10 times people appreciate the info and change the tactics immediately.  There are a couple regular snaggers that I'll simply report but usually, I'll give the guy the benefit of the doubt if I think its an honest mistake.

If you call RAPP and walk away, then your doing so under the assumption they will show up...and that is an uncertainty at best. 

BentRodsGuiding

• Bent Rods Guiding & Fishing
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2015, 07:18:38 PM »

Guys bottom bouncing at Gilligans island bar today, I yelled to them the river was closed to salmon fishing, they ignored me, I made the call.
Fraser River Sturgeon, Salmon and Steelhead www.bentrods.ca

Funeral Of Hearts

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2015, 11:01:54 PM »

Guys bottom bouncing at Gilligans island bar today, I yelled to them the river was closed to salmon fishing, they ignored me, I made the call.
An attempt was made to notify them of the regulations, it was ignored. Id have called it in too.

Tylsie

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2015, 12:01:34 AM »

Thanks guys. I should of gone and talked to a few of the groups, I can give a few excuses as to why I didn't, but at the end of it I made a mistake. Next time I will and if I don't like the answers I will call it in.

GordJ

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2015, 05:31:15 PM »

Thanks guys. I should of gone and talked to a few of the groups, I can give a few excuses as to why I didn't, but at the end of it I made a mistake. Next time I will and if I don't like the answers I will call it in.
That is a really, really good response.