Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Any good deals at the Sportsman show?  (Read 8773 times)

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
Any good deals at the Sportsman show?
« on: March 02, 2012, 09:42:10 PM »

Well I thought I would start a thread about any good deals that people have found at this years Outdoor show. I am heading out to the show tomorrow, not looking for anything inparticular I just thought it would be nice to take my son as he wants to get into hunting so I want to see about any info on the PAL and Core course so that he and I could take it together. So if anyone went there tonight and found some good deals for us to keep our eyes open for lets hear about them. I will do the same when we get home tomorrow.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

silver ghost

• Old Timer
Re: Any good deals at the Sportsman show?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 11:55:16 PM »

Hey Geff, If you are interested I have the name and number of a very nice guy who myself and many of my friends have done their PAL with, including exams for both restricted and non-restricted firearms. He charges $150 and will run the course in a place of your choosing. email me if you are interested! I found this guy to be a lot cheaper than anywhere else, most other places charge $200

BNF861

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 02:50:08 PM »

I was there yesterday. Didn't see too much deal wise that caught my eye. I did make one purchase though.

I have been looking at mustang inflatable PFD's for a bit now. I like the newer HIT technology over the old MIT. The HIT'd have to be submerged in 4" of water to go off rather than the old style tablets that dissolve with moisture and are known to go off prematurely in wet conditions. They have a neoprene collar which is more comfortable on the neck. My thoughts are if i spend the money on a nice inflatable that is comfortable and in a non flourecent color (black) that I will wear it when out on the boat more than I do now with my regular life jacket. They are usually over $300 around here for mustangs top of the line model. The cheapest I have even seen online from the states is $220. Nikka marine had them on sale at the show for $185, so I jumped on the deal.

Also was really considering a new lowe 1448mt modified v flat botttom with a 25hp outboard jet but not sure if thats in the cards yet. Sure would be nice though...

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 03:14:05 PM »

Yep, Nikka always has a good deal on those Mustang inflatables at the show. I got one a few years ago. Should have gotten one yesterday for Nina too but I think she'll just have to keep wearing the $20 life vest I bought her ten years ago.... ;D :-[

noobfisher

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 03:17:58 PM »

anyone else see any deals? casting/spinning rods, reels or fly gear in particular.  planning on going tomorrow.

strobes

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 07:03:59 PM »

i picked up "the tug is the drug" sticker from riverside for only a dollar.  by far the best deal!! ;)
<>{Early to bed...early to rise...fish all day...make up lies}<>

Angry Dragon

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2012, 07:18:10 PM »

Missed out on Rapala's center pin deal, 120 for a pin wow! Really smooth, not really in competition with the big names but good starter or backup.

cohoaaron

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2012, 07:47:35 PM »

GUESS WHO WAS THERE!!!!)????? John Milner!!!! He's awesome, I talked to him for a bit........I think he was at the Fred's custom tackle area......really nice guy, I hope he's there next year. :)

prairiefire

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2012, 07:55:12 PM »

Here are some things that caught my eye.

Gibbs Long Handled Catch and Release net at A&N = $20 reg $40 ($25 at Nikka)
11'7" Dragonfly 5wt Spey at Riverside = $200 reg $300
Amundson centerpin reels at Stevestons Marine = $100 to $150
Amundson Wind Warrior fly rods 25% off at Riverside

Many more deals. Just depends what you were looking for. Nothing stupid but you could save a few bucks here or there.
"Assholes are like opinions, everybody got to have one."-Method Man

noobfisher

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2012, 10:27:04 PM »

No other deals to be had? 

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2012, 10:50:23 PM »

I got a good deal on parking and entry, only $17. The best part of the whole show was the one booth with the 2 beautiful employees. If you seen em you know what Im talkin bout

LOL! I got the same deal too :D

I know who you are talkin about, definitely easy on the eyes. Smart move by their employer...probably 90% men attendees and 90% female employees!

Overall, not any deals worth driving out there for IMO. Most of the "bargains" were just your run of the mill stuff, nothing you couldn't get from your local shop for 10% off on any given rainy day. Sage wasn't selling rods or blanks [not that I was surprised] and to be honest there are far better deals on the buy and sell section of this site!

salmonsturgeontrout

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2012, 06:54:30 AM »

Steveston marine had flashers on for 7 bucks, army and navy had northcoast mooching reels for 199 and techniums on for 125 and if you show your reciept to shimano they give you a free shimano hat, fred's tshirts for 8 bucks, the odd deal but nothing too great

noobfisher

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2012, 08:10:57 AM »

Oh well, I was hoping to find a pair of waders or a nice salmon casting rod.

prairiefire

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2012, 09:22:04 AM »

Oh well, I was hoping to find a pair of waders or a nice salmon casting rod.

Saw convergence rods going for $60 or $70. I'm sure the boys at Riverside get get you a deal on some sort of waders.
Spend $80 on Amundson stuff (at Riverside or Stevestons) and get a free fly box from their booth
"Assholes are like opinions, everybody got to have one."-Method Man

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2012, 10:38:37 AM »

Got a good deal on a boat tarp $20 bucks at steveston hardware . they had lots of different styles there on saturday .
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."