Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A great day  (Read 8766 times)

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
Re: A great day
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2011, 09:52:07 AM »

That was me, i was going to break off the other two points, but decided to just change his hook to a single.

Well thanx for doing that and I think the good karma got you into some extra fish   :)

ihatefisheadsoup

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2011, 10:16:13 AM »

sorry newbie question: what is 5wt means?

JAwrey

• 'Head Hunter
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2011, 10:40:04 AM »

sorry newbie question: what is 5wt means?

A 5 weight fly rod - the typical "starter" size.  Good for trout, pinks, (apparently  ;D) cap coho, grayling...medium duty fly rod.

J
- John A.

ihatefisheadsoup

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2011, 10:56:11 AM »

Thanks for the info. as I am a newbie I want to learn spin casting first, mainly I think fly setup is quite expensive for a good setup on a newbie point of view ha.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 11:05:36 AM by ihatefisheadsoup »

urbanflyfisher

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2011, 03:35:00 PM »

JAwrey, the technique is quite simple, first off when the water is low and slow this time of the year go small, size 14-16 flies, cast across and let it sink, then retrieve in fast 2 inch pulls, some do it in fast jerky 6+ inch pulls, most likely you wont see the fish strike, but you will get some following right to the surface, and at times (although rare) they will strike right at the surface, keep your drag quite loose, but not so loose that it freespools.

Make sure to have a good long net, telescopic preferred, unless your comfortable climbing down,(not really recommended)
Thats pretty much it...

Fisheadsoup, i might be there tomorrow or friday, i normally come after 5pm on weekdays.

My 5wt is a medium action, and im pushing the limits with it, yesterday i was quite sure that chromer was going to snap it, but it held together ;D

Well i get off work in half hour so im off to the river :)

JAwrey

• 'Head Hunter
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2011, 04:01:15 PM »

JAwrey, the technique is quite simple, first off when the water is low and slow this time of the year go small, size 14-16 flies, cast across and let it sink, then retrieve in fast 2 inch pulls, some do it in fast jerky 6+ inch pulls, most likely you wont see the fish strike, but you will get some following right to the surface, and at times (although rare) they will strike right at the surface, keep your drag quite loose, but not so loose that it freespools.

Make sure to have a good long net, telescopic preferred, unless your comfortable climbing down,(not really recommended)
Thats pretty much it...

Fisheadsoup, i might be there tomorrow or friday, i normally come after 5pm on weekdays.

My 5wt is a medium action, and im pushing the limits with it, yesterday i was quite sure that chromer was going to snap it, but it held together ;D

Well i get off work in half hour so im off to the river :)

Email me the results...very much interested!

J
- John A.

urbanflyfisher

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2011, 11:15:24 PM »

It was fairly slow today, nothing but two that came up and kissed the fly but didnt take it in the first 3 hours, then around 9pm i hooked into one.. gave a very good fight, gently landed it and released,  small but lively silver female.. about 2lbs, then ten minutes later bam another one, but the fly came out... not too bad, i had fun :)

Two other people also hooked into some fish but they lost them, using a spinning rod with a green wooly bugger and split shot.

I will be there  again on friday, i will most likely be working late tomorrow.

SteelHunter

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2011, 11:38:28 PM »

Really a wolly bugger with split shots?? How in the heck do you fish that efficiently??
How far would you put the splits shots away and wouldn't you get snagged alot doing this?

thanks

urbanflyfisher

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2011, 11:45:24 PM »

First time ive seen this method used was over 10 years ago on the cap, this one guy was getting one after the other, basically you tie a 9ft 4lbs leader to your main line with a green wooly, first split shot about 12inches away, and two more at 8 inches(Fairly small split shot) cast out let it sink and retrieve, twitch the rod a bit to give it some action, works almost as well as fly fishing, this is the setup i normally tell people to use, it works! Poor mans flyfishing without the expensive equipment, dont know how well it works in other areas... but when the cap is low and slow its the way to go :) every year it been consistent from what ive seen.

And yes you do get snagged on the rocks at times. Trick is to not let the fly hit the bottom, time it, and retrieve.  Use small split shot.

Thats basically it.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 12:15:21 AM by urbanflyfisher »

JJJ

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2011, 02:10:34 PM »

Would very like to learn from you on how to do fly fishing with spinning rod. Hope to see you there on Friday.

ihatefisheadsoup

« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2011, 03:52:11 PM »

First time ive seen this method used was over 10 years ago on the cap, this one guy was getting one after the other, basically you tie a 9ft 4lbs leader to your main line with a green wooly, first split shot about 12inches away, and two more at 8 inches(Fairly small split shot) cast out let it sink and retrieve, twitch the rod a bit to give it some action, works almost as well as fly fishing, this is the setup i normally tell people to use, it works! Poor mans flyfishing without the expensive equipment, dont know how well it works in other areas... but when the cap is low and slow its the way to go :) every year it been consistent from what ive seen.

And yes you do get snagged on the rocks at times. Trick is to not let the fly hit the bottom, time it, and retrieve.  Use small split shot.

Thats basically it.

wow you are awsome! I would love to learn that technique.

urbanflyfisher

« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2011, 03:53:04 PM »

I would be glad to show you guys how its done, make sure you have fairly thin main line 6-10lbs, since you wont be using alot of weight casting might be difficult with thicker line.

Every year i seen people doing it and they are more successful  than the people with their gaudy crocodile spoons, large foam floats and wool, not that there is anything wrong with those methods, they just don produce very well when the river is low. if i didnt have a fly rod, id do it that way.

I should be at the cable pool just after 5pm tomorrow.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 04:02:43 PM by urbanflyfisher »

urbanflyfisher

« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2011, 10:33:40 PM »

Lost a biggie today :'( spat the fly after a few minutes, this thing was a rocket, a real jumper, what a fight!, 7lbs easy, i did not think i could land it it was just too big, we all thought it was a steelie, but no just a very large coho, by around 8 pm there were 6 people fly fishing the cable pool, 3 of us hooked up, but only one was landed.

Not going to whistler this weekend, staying put on the cap for now ;D

JJJ

« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2011, 10:58:48 AM »

Thanks urbanflyfisher for teaching me the techique of "fly fishing with spinning rod" yesterday. It worked well I saw a few fishes chasing my fly and got a big bite but did not set hook properly. Will definitely come back and try again this weekend.
The big Coho you hooked in @20:15 was such a strong fighter :o . Hope you land one biggie very soon :D.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2011, 12:28:24 PM »

Lost a biggie today :'( spat the fly after a few minutes, this thing was a rocket, a real jumper, what a fight!, 7lbs easy, i did not think i could land it it was just too big, we all thought it was a steelie, but no just a very large coho, by around 8 pm there were 6 people fly fishing the cable pool, 3 of us hooked up, but only one was landed.

One of those fishing was me, after my day of battling pinks in the chuck, but I was not as successful down below you, had only one bite that snap the fly clean off when I set the hook.  I promptly switched back to my 5 lb tippet but had no bites after that.
Not all those who wander are lost