Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12

Author Topic: 2013 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 67338 times)

Humpy

Come on, its one of the most crowded spots on the river, avoid it. Lots of snaggers, its a really bad sight to see. Don't recommend it. Try near the Vedder Crossing bridge, take a walk and you will find a spot to yourself. Lots of coho in the river now.
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

clarki

• Old Timer

Don't forget there are 2 train bridges :)  With a handle like his, I bet he means CN, not BCR.

sumasriver

A little bit of heaven.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 06:11:46 PM by sumasriver »

TheFishingLad

Don't forget there are 2 train bridges :)  With a handle like his, I bet he means CN, not BCR.
I wasn't aware the British Columbia Regiment had a railroad! Bad my friend.

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?

just venting johnny canuck. will be out there first light saturday morning. just pissed i keep catching wild coho...........damn. Catching a hatchery coho is my challenge so far this season.

LP89CG

I was out at lickman and it was so horrible. I havent had any success on the river yet so I thought I would check out one of the more popular spots hoping that there would be a nice spot to fish. I never thought people actually bottom bounced that river. I also now know that people actually rip fish..jerk the rod intentionally trying to snag. I would have said something but there was a language barrier between the 20 of them.

I checked out the train bridge cuz i could never actually locate it. Where the main flow slows down westward after the bridge seems like a nice pace/depth and from what I have seen on youtube everyone fishes under the bridge/close to it. ...Thoughts on that?

salmonrook

Lots of misinformation here,its best to go out and find a spot yourself that you like.
The river is long, some of the best days i had I went out and found a new spot on my own.
 If you educate yourself on what kind of water to look for ,its more satisfying to 'discover" it on your own .

Ezio

• vedder sucks tell your friends.

just walk around in the AM, and throw metal at them, they kill spoons and spinners lots of them around, just gotta cover water.

Kjle

Exactly what these guys are saying; go for a walk and find some river. I was at a popular spot today and was getting sick of it so I walked upstream for 5 minutes and found multiple pools holding springs. Walked another 5 and ten minutes later I was into some coho. And there was no one to be seen any direction. There's plenty of water to be fished!

Sir Snag-A-Lot

I usually flyfish the north side flows for coho but want to try Vedder a few times over the next couple of weeks until the north side runs start showing up I'm good numbers.  I haven't spent a lot of time on that river but have scouted it on Google Earth top to bottom.  I am happy to walk long distances.  I often spend up to half of my fishing days walking and I'm fine with that.  WHat would be a good starting point for looking for good fly fishing water? I'm not looking for anyone's specific secret hole, just some general guidance for where to start my own search.

HOOK

• Old Timer

unless you have up to date Google Earth images certain areas will be completely different. you'll be looking at mid river to lower river for better fly opportunities. canal is good basically the entire length, lots of little stick snags though but that's part of the game down there. Look for slow water or pools created along current edges. These areas are always good to toss a fly in. Coho enjoy sitting in slow water or behind structure, the structure can also be a large school of pinks or behind/beside schools of chum/springs.
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Ezio

• vedder sucks tell your friends.

also, fishing deep side channels with a slow / moderate current close to the main body of the river, especially if there is a lot of cover / structure over / in the water.

swimmingwiththefishes

Lot's of Coho in there now.  Hit plenty on Saturday. As usual slow water or along the edges (avoiding the pinks) is where you'll get em.  Also hit a nice and pretty fresh Chinook, so far no chum for me, but that is just after a day.

fic

• Old Timer

Lot's of Coho in there now.  Hit plenty on Saturday. As usual slow water or along the edges (avoiding the pinks) is where you'll get em.  Also hit a nice and pretty fresh Chinook, so far no chum for me, but that is just after a day.
Do the coho swim closer to the faster water compared to the pinks?  I thought they would just swim upstream together.

swimmingwiththefishes

Yeah its pretty hard to target different water while there are so many pinks but offer more of a coho type offering(eg:chartreuse color) you can avoid most of them.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12