Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Old lady never lets me fish..what am i to do  (Read 8716 times)

CALI 2 B.C.

Old lady never lets me fish..what am i to do
« on: September 10, 2009, 12:22:19 PM »

This is very frustrating to me.I have 2 young sons so i kind of understand why she doesnt like me gone much but ive had only 1 fishing trip  basically all year.Before i moved up here to beautiful BC i fished in cali at least once a week.Caught numerious fish of many species.Im probably gonna sound stupid sayin this but i havnt caught a salmon since i got here in DEC of 2005  >:( Im losing my mind over this ready to just give up trying the few times i have been fortunate enough to go ive been skunked.I guess im just venting here but any advice of anything motivational would be greatly appreciated.She just doesnt understand the passion i have for fishing at least here on FWR sometimes i am able to get a lil fix on fishing so thank you rodney and all who make this site possible.    CHEERS a dksgrunteled fisherman from california sitting in surrey wishin he was fishin.
famous people walk on red carpet because theyre famous...me i walk on toilet paper because im the $h!^

one more cast

Re: Old lady never lets me fish..what am i to do
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 12:34:23 PM »

Man, I feel for you :(
Your lady need a hobby that she is passionate about and then maybe she can understand better your passion.

How about a camping trip next summer with the kids, combine it with fishing and get her and the kids( if not too young) hooked on fishing.

If all else fails... flowers, chocolates, more time spent with her (u know where), then time for you and fishing.

Wish I had more to offer but I'm sure others will chime in to help in your situation.

Also, does she have many friends to spend time with?

This also helps with the escape route.

Good luck with it.

Nucks

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 12:45:50 PM »

This is very frustrating to me.I have 2 young sons so i kind of understand why she doesnt like me gone much but ive had only 1 fishing trip  basically all year.Before i moved up here to beautiful BC i fished in cali at least once a week.Caught numerious fish of many species.Im probably gonna sound stupid sayin this but i havnt caught a salmon since i got here in DEC of 2005  >:( Im losing my mind over this ready to just give up trying the few times i have been fortunate enough to go ive been skunked.I guess im just venting here but any advice of anything motivational would be greatly appreciated.She just doesnt understand the passion i have for fishing at least here on FWR sometimes i am able to get a lil fix on fishing so thank you rodney and all who make this site possible.    CHEERS a dksgrunteled fisherman from california sitting in surrey wishin he was fishin.

Sounds like an internal issue that you should discuss with your wife. Sounds like you need marriage councelling  :-\

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 12:49:47 PM »

How old are your sons?
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

CALI 2 B.C.

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2009, 12:53:21 PM »

2 and a half and 1 or they would go with me....
famous people walk on red carpet because theyre famous...me i walk on toilet paper because im the $h!^

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2009, 01:02:17 PM »

You may have to wait a year or 2 then...

Get your boys hooked on fishing by starting them on catching as many fish as possible even if they are course fish and they'll be hooked for life. Your wife will then let you go fishing whenever you want then....  as long as  you take the boys!   ;D
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2009, 01:02:45 PM »

My first post here but this is an issue I have had to deal with...fishing, hiking, whatever I may want to do...

Wifey is not a fan of the outdoors in general and boy is 2.

My solution, get up at the crack of dawn, more like 4am, and get out for a few hours and be home by 10am or so.  Also once or twice a month I get out for a daytrip dirtbiking or fishing etc...

This is the first year I have been into pink fishing and have been getting up early, out for a few hours, then back home.  During fall/winter same thing for coho.

Outdoor things to me are a passion as well as healthy activities.

Anyways....I'm just waiting till my boy is a little older and he will begging me to take him and then maybe mom will come along to...

one more cast

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2009, 01:06:08 PM »

My first post here but this is an issue I have had to deal with...fishing, hiking, whatever I may want to do...

Wifey is not a fan of the outdoors in general and boy is 2.

My solution, get up at the crack of dawn, more like 4am, and get out for a few hours and be home by 10am or so.  Also once or twice a month I get out for a daytrip dirtbiking or fishing etc...

This is the first year I have been into pink fishing and have been getting up early, out for a few hours, then back home.  During fall/winter same thing for coho.

Outdoor things to me are a passion as well as healthy activities.

Anyways....I'm just waiting till my boy is a little older and he will begging me to take him and then maybe mom will come along to...

Ha, good idea...slip out of bed early, be back and slip back into bed...get that fishy smell off you first ;D

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2009, 01:10:36 PM »

I feel for you too  :(

Fishing has become a real passion for me and I don't know how I would handle not being able to do it on account of family issues.  Fortunately for me my wife is understanding and she does venture out with me quite often nowadays. At one time she refused point blank to have anything to do with fishing but once I got her out there and showed her it can be fun she was less resistant to the idea.  Part of the thing was me being willing to get involved with things that interest her too like gardening and golf.   Neither of those are much for me but I found doing those quite enjoyable after a while so I guess it has to work both ways.

Its tough now but it will get easier when your boys grow up.  In fact, you are lucky they are boys and not girls.  Girls generally have zero interest in activities like fishing.  I don't have kids of my own but I do have a nephew and a niece.  Now my nephew is 8 I have way more fun heading out with him than I ever get going on my own.   Think of your kids as a long term investment because you will likely find the fishing more rewarding than many of us later on when you can share the fun with them.

...sorry just my 2c worth.   I don't know anything just that it often pays to meet one's partners wants too.

..and the pike minnow fishery is dynamite for kids.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 01:12:26 PM by fishseeker »

CALI 2 B.C.

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2009, 01:13:41 PM »

My 2 year old has caught a few already trout n sunfish.....but the problem is hes up and into everything by 7 lol.

DavidD

• Fourth Year Apprentice Fisherman
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2009, 01:15:27 PM »

At least I get to go from time to time - but its my missus's birthday this weekend and she expects other plans  :( - right it the midst of Pink season.  :'(

But like Cutthroat stated - most of the times I am up before the crack of dawn to get ut a fish for a few hours while she sleeps in on the weekends... too bad the tides are against me this weekend.  :(

But most importantly - if she's happy - then I'm happy! ;)
Save the Whales - Collect the Whole Set!!!

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2009, 01:22:46 PM »

My other solution is once a week my sister babysits for me for a few hours.  So tomorrow I start work at 6pm and have my sister sitting @ 2pm...guess what i will be doing for 3-4 hours  ;D

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2009, 01:28:35 PM »

here you go.

Brad Paisley - I'm Gonna Miss Her

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8O3Plt8DyMk

DavidD

• Fourth Year Apprentice Fisherman
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2009, 01:37:00 PM »

Doh!  :o

But then again - the rebuttal: 

Aaron Lines - "It's Cheaper to Keep Her"  :-\

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAQji0dWhhY
Save the Whales - Collect the Whole Set!!!

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2009, 02:02:02 PM »

Give her a compromise.  She gets a day to go out with friends and you get a day to go out and do your thing. This way you both get a day. Problem solved!! If she is not understanding to this than well she is just being unreasonable and you need to put your foot down. Everyone needs "their" time. She needs her time and you need your time. Otherwise the marriage just wont work.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family