Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lower Fraser River flood hazard planning survey  (Read 3459 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Lower Fraser River flood hazard planning survey
« on: October 25, 2016, 10:06:33 AM »

I'm posting this for Stephanie Lasuik who's doing a survey on Lower Fraser flood hazard planning.

Dear Fishing with Rod Community Member,

Please accept my invitation to contribute to research on issues related to the flood risk posed by the lower Fraser River.

The purpose of the research is to help identify similarities and differences in perceptions and beliefs among a diverse group of parties with a common interest in the lower Fraser River. Your unique perception on matters such as flood risk and protection measures, climate change, sediment management, and your sources of knowledge on these topics is an important area of research into understanding opportunities and barriers for flood hazard planning.
Your time and viewpoint will be greatly appreciated.  The survey will take approximately 20-30 minutes to complete.  If you wish to participate, please save the attached fillable form to your computer, fill out the Letter of Consent and the survey, and return them both via an email attachment to Stephanie.lasuik@student.ufv.ca.  If you wish to receive paper copies, I will be pleased to send one to you along with a self-addressed, stamped envelope.  The deadline for participation is November 14, 2016.

Responses to survey questions will be aggregated and your individual responses will be kept confidential.  Your participation in this survey will remain confidential unless you have specifically indicated otherwise within the Letter of Consent.

All participants will receive a copy of the final research report in February 2017. The ethics of this study have been reviewed and approved by the UFV Research Ethics Board.

Sincerely,

Stephanie Lasuik
UFV, Geography Honours Program
Email: Stephanie.lasuik@student.ufv.ca

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: Lower Fraser River flood hazard planning survey
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2016, 01:25:49 PM »

Its all about getting gravel for construction purposes. so monies can be made by some, nothing to do with flood protection. As I have said many many times the Fraser is just too large a river to get enough gravel out  that will make a difference. I and others have told Stephanie this.

It just destroys fish and  sturgeon habitat.

Many will have read this but will post again.http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/british-columbia/new-report-digs-deeper-on-effects-of-gravel-mining-in-fraser-river/article10274211/
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 09:18:58 PM by chris gadsden »

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 04:47:45 PM »

Its all about getting gravel for construction purposes. so monies can be made by some, nothing to do with flood protection. As I have said many many times the Fraser is just too large a river to get enough gravel out  that will make a difference. I and others have told Stephanie this.

It just destroys fish and  sturgeon habitat.

Many will have read this put will post again.http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/british-columbia/new-report-digs-deeper-on-effects-of-gravel-mining-in-fraser-river/article10274211/

I agree with Chris, the only time they tend to extract is it when gravel prices are high.  However the survey is asking for views and it does give the option if you think it negatively impacts fish. Also with global climate change it would make sense to increase the dike height.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2016, 06:30:00 PM »

I agree with Chris, the only time they tend to extract is it when gravel prices are high.  However the survey is asking for views and it does give the option if you think it negatively impacts fish. Also with global climate change it would make sense to increase the dike height.
There is a number of flaws in this survey may explain later, a lot of back ground to this and what it is trying to accomplish.

Not sure if I want to go there though. We, that are concerned about gravel extraction on the Vedder have a lot going on with that file too. We are working on getting a meeting with FOC on this, originally they said they would not meet but they maybe changing their mind on that.

A number of us will be meeting in the near future to develop are position as they are a lot of unanswered questions to date.

One always must remember, gravel extraction in any river is not good for fish or their habitat.

I posted that link earlier om another tread.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2016, 10:55:55 PM »

Today was the deadline and I did not fill it out as I and others feel it is too slated to favor the removal of gravel. You can be sure the majority of those that fill it out want to get there hands on more gravel.The Fraser River Gravel Stewardship Committee will be watching this file in the days ahead.

I have yet to see independent scientific studies that show gravel removal will prevent a flood, as I said many times the Fraser River is way to big to try and take enough gravel out to make a difference. It is all about the money to be made by some.

Hopefully the new government in Ottawa who apparently is working on rewriting the fishery act. Maybe that will help stop this threat to our salmon and sturgeon.