Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Commercial openings  (Read 17878 times)

Zackattack

Commercial openings
« on: October 24, 2016, 09:21:55 PM »

There were 100s of boats all the way up the Fraser today. Gillnetting.
Which opening is this?
I'm trying to understand the fisheries notices..
Maybe somebody can assist me...
When I search by gillnetting in area 29 I can only find a fisheries notice for gillnetting at the Fraser mouth today and thurs... but these boats were all the way up
First nations? Wouldnt there still have been a notice posted for that though?

Thnx
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 09:31:32 PM by Zackattack »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Commercial openings
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 09:28:02 PM »

The fishery notice you read:

http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=view_notice&DOC_ID=188957&ID=all

Includes Sub areas 29-11 to 17, which is the Tidal Fraser River.

There were two openings today, commercial and First Nations economic openings.

Zackattack

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2016, 09:29:47 PM »

Ah ok. I missed the "29-17". So the rest were FN then...
Where can I find fisheries notices for them (First Nations)? I searched by all gillnetting not just commericial?

Thnx
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 09:57:40 PM by Zackattack »

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2016, 10:12:54 PM »

Ah ok. I missed the "29-17". So the rest were FN then...
Where can I find fisheries notices for them (First Nations)? I searched by all gillnetting not just commericial?

Thnx

Search by: Aboriginal: Salmon: Economic opportunities 

http://notices.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=search_results&ID=all&Regions=&Fisheries=3&Areas=&year=2016&CFID=24423373&CFTOKEN=956a5d237bd94c51-C6DA0214-99C9-DA1D-1CA364297B93AEC0

Zackattack

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2016, 10:19:33 PM »

Ya beach seines. Saw that, but figured they were on the boats too but I guess it was just commies.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2016, 03:59:29 AM »

And some people say we should not be allowed to retain chum salmon in the Chilliwack Vedder River. :P

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2016, 06:07:01 AM »

this will be know as the great salmon drought of fall 2016 after the boats are done. I believe its primarily a roe fishery.
It ain't the roe bro'

Joey

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2016, 07:09:07 AM »

Yup and kill the wild coho and steelhead

Kever

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2016, 11:19:47 AM »

Notice says the FN and commercial netters only get 2 days each for chum which, if my memory serves, is shorter than openings in previous years. I suppose DFO could announce more openings as they deem fit.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2016, 11:39:12 AM »

I saw some boats releasing fish, and I saw some boats not. Maybe I just couldn't tell from shore but idk because some boats were coming close enough to us bar fishers that we could hit them with a thrown rock. I saw fish hanging by the gills out of the water trapped in the gill net while they worked. Doesn't seem very good on the fish they have to release with "care". If I could've sunk those boats with my mind... lol
They are probably coming close to shore to target the hatchery coho's you are bar fishing for  ;D

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2016, 08:18:51 PM »

Is the impact of the commercial fishery noticeable in upstream rivers such as the Stave, Harrison or Vedder and how long does it take for the impact (if present) to subside in these rivers?

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2016, 10:04:36 PM »

At least the opening is a little later in the season and most of the Northern Steelhead have passed through.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2016, 04:36:57 AM »

At least the opening is a little later in the season and most of the Northern Steelhead have passed through.
Hopefully, it makes you wonder though when the Thompson River steelhead as they say are endangered. That means one would think every steelhead that makes it back is so valuable.

It seems we never learn from our past mistakes as destruction of fish habitat by gravel mining of rivers, lost of habitat,dams, fish farms, over fishing by most sectors and the list goes on.

I talked to a present FOC employee today and she said what the past government did to the Fisheries Act tied up their hands on so many environmental issues.

Maybe this will help change the damage the previous Federal government did to the Fisheries Act, was sent to me recently, some of you may wish to contribute

"I’m sure many of the groups you work with are aware of the just commenced consultations on the review of, and possible changes to the habitat provisions of the Fisheries Act.

But it might be worth sending out the following links to your groups to make sure there is good coverage.   

Media release:

http://news.gc.ca/web/article-en.do?nid=1139379&tp=1

Survey website:

http://www.letstalkfishhabitat.ca/

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2016, 06:57:20 AM »

And some people say we should not be allowed to retain chum salmon in the Chilliwack Vedder River. :P

This has been a head-scratcher for a while. Especially when the window that allows a fisherman to harvest a nice clean Chum is so short - along comes the fleet to clean out the Fraser and turn off the fresh fish pipeline. Well, at least the nets don't discriminate - they'll scoop up everything in their path - very efficient, they are.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2016, 06:01:31 PM »

I’m guessing this post is aimed at me ;)
I’m on record as being against all freshwater Fraser and tributary bound chum fisheries; commercial, which impacts late run coho, Cultus Lake sockeye, and has huge consequences for Thompson and Chilcotin River steelhead and used to be only viable so commies put in enough days to collect unemployment insurance; sports fisheries because in most, (but certainly not all as pictures posted today shows) cases the fish harvested are well past their prime and are far more valuable to the river ecosystem they return to (check out the latest video by Chris of an eagle feeding on a chum carcass, multiply that by several thousand on the Vedder alone – then add the Harrison and Squamish systems and you get my drift); and most of all, by the disgusting so called economic fisheries conducted by our “stewards of the land”, FN of the Sto-Lo Nation, who harvest only the females for their eggs. Considering there is virtually no recent data on Fraser River spawning chum populations, one wonders why these fisheries are sanctioned.  Well, no, I guess we all know why …
These Fraser River FN fisheries, as far as I know, are above the mouth of the Stave and Vedder, so have no impact on these two watersheds’ chum stocks.  Commercial fisheries and sports fishers however, do.

I'm happy to see some stock assessment being done on Vedder chums this season and hoping it's going to be a part of DFO's salmonid assessments in the future.