Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Anyone fishing from Brownsville Bar? of Garry Point Park or Richmond's Fraser R?  (Read 10488 times)

Joe the Soccer Coach

Hello Everyone,

I've got a Sunday free, and was wondering how the fishing was at Brownsville Bar (below the Patullo Bridge), Garry Point Park or some of the Richmond Fraser River areas? 

I'm not sure how strong my gear should be - whether I should bring my light gear 12 lb test, higher or lower.  Last year on the Chilliwack I landed a strong Chum male with this gear, but fishing the Fraser should I need heavier gear?

What is everyone using to catch the Chum and Coho?  Are the Springs in those Fraser River areas?

My other option this weekend is to go crab fishing (I might try Garry Point Park near the sandy areas of shore)

Thanks for everyone's advice!  I appreciate it!

Joe 

Taboo

I had a quick hour to kill on Sat and tried down at Triangle Rd on the incoming tide.  There were a handful of other guys there.  No sign of life.

On Sunday, I was behind Shady Island (boat) and there were plenty of Chum's there, not very clean though.  Oh, there was also a guy with a shot gun pegging off Canadian Geese over our head's.  We didn't stick around after he starting shooting like an idiot.

Joe the Soccer Coach

Thanks Taboo,

Where is Shady Island?  Is it near Steveston Island?  I'm checking google.  Is there shore access to Shady Island? 

Is there shore access at the end of No. 9 Road across from Don Island?

I've tried crab fishing from London's Landing with no success.  I was fishing from Garry Point Park and caught a beautiful silver Pink (Labour day weekend); every so often I would also catch a small dungeoness crab on my rod that was fishing the bottom.  There must crabs there, but I haven't any success. 

If the Chum are already in bad shape, is there any other species being caught or fished for in those areas of the Fraser in Richmond?

Thanks again for your advice/help!

Cheers,

Joe

gman

Shady Island and Steveston Island are the same. Its not that great for fishign from shore, and access is low tide only, and not too safe.

Youre probbaly best bar fishing with roe or spinning (like for pnks) to get chum, springs or coho. Its slower fishing compared to Vedder etc, but worth a try. I think Rod has done some articles and postings on this.

Joe the Soccer Coach

Thanks gman,

Yeah, I'm hoping Rodney may reply.  I've promised him Dungeoness Crab if catch them at Garry Point.

Cheers,

Joe

Taboo

Shady Island and Steveston Island are the same. Its not that great for fishign from shore, and access is low tide only, and not too safe.

I DO NOT RECOMMEND attempting to go to the South side of Steveston/Shady by wading across!!  People have lost their lives trying.  Tides change, the current is strong!!  As I said, I accessed the area with a boat. 

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer

I agree with Taboo. If I remember correctly, there is a sign warning people against wading across due to strong currents.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

What Taboo said. Do not cross that rockpiling at low tide.

LargeMouthMinnow

As I work in Richmond, I have been searching for every bit of information on fishing at Garry Point Park.  Great opportunity to be able to cast a few lines when I don't have an entire day.

Came across this article and just wanted to emphasize....don't wade across to Shady Island.  A few years back a couple people who tried, perished.  The tied is faster than you think and changes quickly.
The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the pow'r
To say just when the hands will stop, at late or early hour!
Now is the only time we have, to do the what you will;
Do not delay another day, your clock may then be still!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

LMM, take a look a the blog, some of the latest entries are from the area that you are asking about:

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/blog/

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!

That is an awesome piece  of art in your avatar LMM.
Im not a real art person but have allways admired Coastal Native art.