Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

My spinning reel (Abu Garcia Revo X40)I use primarily for Coho and Pinks is approximately halfway down on the spool.  What would you do in my scenario?

Pull it all off, re-spool fresh 30-40lb braid
- 4 (21.1%)
Take the extra 30lb Spider Wire, double uni knot to existing and spool it on
- 8 (42.1%)
Pull it off, spool on some of the 65lb braid as a backing, spool the existing back on
- 1 (5.3%)
Same as option 3, but use 20lb mono for backing instead
- 2 (10.5%)
Something else (please elaborate)
- 4 (21.1%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Author Topic: Half full spool on spinning reel  (Read 3519 times)

chille51

Re: Half full spool on spinning reel
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2021, 10:15:01 PM »

I would opt for lighter line on a salmon spinning combo as well. I run 12lb braid with a 8lb flouro leader.

Really 'eh?  I've always heard too light of braid is a PITA, but that may have been more specifically in regards to a baitcasters?

colin6101

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2021, 12:34:26 AM »

Never had any issues on a spinning rod, but I have also learned that braid can be a pain on a baitcaster. Sometimes it's necessary for me to throw a spoon a long ways (fishing the beaches for sure), I rarely find that I have to cast further than 50 feet with my drift rod.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2021, 07:18:36 AM »

While it's up to each individual, I always think of 2 things with line on any reel:

- how much do I think I need

- avoiding knots in the line to the extent possible. I never want a knot that I have to cast through the guides.

generally for salmon I want a minimum of 150 yards on the reel. Sure fish seldom run that far but you will regret having less when they do. Also as you use it you will loose it. A 150 yards or so provides a measure of insurance.  At least with anything other than a fly line I'd rather not have a knot anywhere along that length.

For a splice knot I want the strongest knot possible so prefer to use a Bimini twist. An albright knot is also excellent. A uniknot is just a slip knot which in general are not the strongest knots going.

"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.