Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River October 15th 2010  (Read 831 times)

vancook

• Old Timer
Chilliwack River October 15th 2010
« on: October 16, 2010, 10:02:40 PM »

Made my way out to the river for first light to try my luck at some of the dug out pools, Brought along my baitcaster and small collection of spoons and spinners.  I arrive around 6:15 am to find almost 15 guys standing on the side of this pool...maybe because it's friday I've no idea. Everyone hammering the water, I have 2 hours to kill until I meet up with my fishing group so I decide to throw some metal . Fellow on the end lands two coho, 1 hatch and 1 wild. I feel something and give a pull, no shake...but something is on...reel in a big dead chum by its tail. Few more casts and my line snaps in two spots, hmm looks like I need some new line. Stop at Freds and respool, head off to meet up with a couple guys.

Arrive at the flow and switch over to my float set up, Cleardrift float in hand and #4 gammies. Soon as I arrive my friend has hooked into a nice looking marble spring, just floating with a cleardrift and roe bags...water was very clear so we were going stealth. Quite a few hook ups with springs for the next hour but hard to keep on with the small hooks. In total we had 3 springs total, one over 20 pounds easy and all does...some nice fresh roe is cured up and ready for the next outting. After the rest of my group left I stayed behind to fish some more. Continued using my cleardrift and small presentation, the chums were rolling in and I connected with two, lost an ugly zombie buck close to shore and landed a boot doe which was gently released. Sad to see some flossing across the river, and seeing a fish dragged up on the rocks to only be released again.
Decided to call it a day after a run in with a seagull...Just as I finish my dirftand start to reel in a seagull lands in the river and in the path of my retrieve. He manages to wrap himself up in my line, takes off and starts peeling line..he goes back in the river struggling to get loose. Now Half of me wanted to pull this bugger in and save my line. On the other hand I didnt want to do damage to the bird by reeling him in and possibly pulling him under water...so I snip my line after losing 50 yards or more of line. gull takes off with float hanging from him. Goodbye cleardrift. He lands on a little island and pecks away at the nuisance. He takes off again and I can see the line is no longer attached...well there went my float. I'll just have to pick up a couple more Cleardrifts from Berrys tomorrow before I head out on monday. Need to get into some coho.

dead head

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
Re: Chilliwack River October 15th 2010
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 07:14:51 PM »

Nice report vancook.I have hooked a few seagulls a few times as well,there is nothing we can do sometimes.

fly fisher

• i fish roe roe and more roe
Re: Chilliwack River October 15th 2010
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 08:34:53 PM »

i have also hooked a seagull while fly fishing for salmon last year scared the crap out of me
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot