Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Jones Lake Report - Thursday 4th  (Read 1244 times)

WestEast

Jones Lake Report - Thursday 4th
« on: May 05, 2006, 12:33:29 PM »

Had enough of Buntzen and Lafarge, so took the day off and made my way to Jones - something I've been planning for some time. I was expecting a tricky drive up the FSR, but it wasn't as bad as I'd read, though lots of crater potholes. No problem with my SUV. I was shocked at first sighting of the lake - it looked half-empty. The water was 200m from the original shoreline, and tree stumps were all exposed. Saw a couple of trucks parked by the water, so gingerly drove over the hard-baked sand and mud to park by the water edge. Assembled my pontoon, and off I went. An earlier study of the lake map indicated deeper water towards the middle, so I headed out, trolling a brown woolly bugger on a fast sink. Wind starts to pick up, and soon, I don't need to row.... I'm sailing  :D No hits until I approached the deeper area - then it was all action for the next few hours. I basically rowed/finned from one side to the other - at mid-lake, with hits every 10min or so. Hookups were less frequent.... landed 7 in the 3hrs, including a very silver kokanee. Size range 12-15". Would have been a higher rate if I had been holding my rod, instead of rowing. The wind was a real drag. So were the waves  :-\. But the sun was out, the mountains still snow-laiden - and not a soul in sight (the other fishers must have headed deep south - the lake is 3km long). With the water level as it is now, I wouldn't recommend belly-boating... but a pontoon is fine if you have oars or a motor. It was real tough getting back - going against the north wind. As far as fish-action goes, no better than my local holes, but the scenery and solitude made the 2 hr trip and gas worth it.

UMAKKO

Re: Jones Lake Report - Thursday 4th
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2006, 02:25:53 PM »

Thanks for your report, Westeast.

How deep was your fly trolled at?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2006, 12:06:06 AM by UMAKKO »

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2006, 03:24:00 PM »

awsome report.
weeeeeeeeeow!

James

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2006, 11:11:55 PM »

is there more than Access point(by vehicle) for this lake? . I have never been to it , only heard that i should give it a try . But now that you mention that the lake is 3km long , i don't want to get lost .

WestEast

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2006, 10:27:40 AM »

There is a Forest Services camp site clearly marked and visible when you arrive at the lake - in fact, you can't drive much further as I believe the road is blocked just past some private cabins. From the camp site area, you can launch off. No chance getting lost on the water... the lake is very open - but the wind can blow you off course.

I was using a fast-sink #5wt., probably had my fly at the 15ft mark, in water that was 20-30ft deep.