Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: World Rivers Day On The Chilliwack Vedder River  (Read 10105 times)

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
Re: World Rivers Day On The Chilliwack Vedder River
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2017, 09:02:10 PM »

I got a message from a forum member asking for a ride to the cleanup so don't give up hope just yet! It was great to meet another FWR user and we had some fun fishing afterwards. Also brought my dad.

Highlights of the day for me include:
-My dad winning a specialty poultry gift certificate (free duck!)
-Getting hooked in the shorts by a fisherman while picking up garbage because he was distracted by a helicopter
-Great BBQ lunch at the clubhouse
-Making a new FWR friend IRL
-Small selection of river treasure! A couple of nice hooks, a fly, and a micro USB to Lightning adapter :D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2017, 10:08:52 PM »

Another video from the cleanup I filmed. https://youtu.be/8R9UGDaTNMA

Missed seeing you leadbelly, was great to win the rod and goodies but with so many rods I gave it to one of the young people that helped cleanup the canal with us. If I brought home another rod  I would be looking for a new home. lol

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2017, 10:23:53 PM »

Firstlight, I take my folks green waste and crap to the the transfer station, before in my truck and now in my car and even with the recent price hike I don't find it to be prohibitively expensive. I also score very well in the "free" book bins and more than make the trip worth it that way~
It should NEVER enter some ones head when thinking of disposal to think "damn, whats a good private stretch of rd I can toss my pile of mattresses on?"

Also BRAVO to all who worked to make today's Rivers Day clean up and all such events a great well run and fun time. I had fun seeing Chris win a prize, and even won Bent Rods (one of, they donated a few piles of stuff) jigs shirt etc prize. Thanks all

also sad to see so much crap left behind along the river, must have got 4o beer cans, I left them at the collection spot along with a found Canucks hat for you know who~

There are a lot of people in this town that $20 makes a huge difference to.
You work and have an income so im sure the $10 they charge for garden waste isn't a big deal to you but to others it is.
We pay enough taxes in this city that garbage pick-up should be included or at least have a dump site that is no charge.
Not only that but it would help with the Rat problems that we have.

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2017, 12:25:24 AM »

Shame that so many people who are active posters here and big time Vedder fishermen don't make the effort to show up at these cleanups from time to time. You know who you are...
A lot of guys I know have shopping bags in their vest and pick up whatever garbage they see, before they leave the flow.  One thing they have in common is they all do it quietly, and they do not boast.
It ain't the roe bro'

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2017, 05:16:41 AM »

A lot of guys I know have shopping bags in their vest and pick up whatever garbage they see, before they leave the flow.  One thing they have in common is they all do it quietly, and they do not boast.
That is great and we know many do that. By doing so it helps set an example to others when they see it being done but there is still too much garbage, line etc. left around that ends up drifting down river to  the Fraser and out to the ocean during high water events.

We and other volunteers cleaned up from Keith Wilson Bridge yesterday and it was clean as a whistle by noon. I went down last night and picked up a half a garbage bag that had been discarded since then. In a few days it will be littered again. It is not about boasting, it is just getting the job done and trying to make a difference.

Some stats the CVRCS has kept since 2002, coming up to yesterday's cleanup there has been 44 cleanups on the Chilliwack Vedder River watershed, 16 BC River Days, 110 Metric Tonnes of garbage collected and 28,000 plus volunteer hours put in. Factor in the hours the ones you mention there would be a lot more hours put in and garbage collected.

I hope those reading this will take your excellent  suggestion and take a bag of garbage out with them after fishing. Who knows one day we will not have to organize cleanups and we can just go fishing, which I think I will this morning and I will be picking up some garbage at the same time.

Thanks again for your post

Jk47

« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2017, 06:54:42 AM »

Thanks for all your hard work Chris and others. Seems every time these river cleanups take place I have prior commitments, but I am one of those who packs a garbage bag with me when fishing. Thanks again

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2017, 08:19:20 AM »

I know some, too, but from the state of things, it's simply not enough. It appears that for every garbage cleaning angler, there are 10 who leave their garbage behind. I'm particularly miffed at the goo chuckers who seem to think it's OK to leave their empty roe containers at the bank.
Would be nice to see a 2000-dollar littering fine handed out to those. That would teach them.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 10:07:25 AM by milo »

Ambassador

« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2017, 11:32:26 AM »

Was out fishing at Squamish this weekend and was very happy with the state of affairs of the rivers we were on. We found a few lost items - but ZERO litter between the two systems - and this is at the end of the busiest Pink season I've seen yet. Refreshing to see.

We brought out everything we found - but in the end all we got was:
1 - Minn Kota C2 40
1 - Kit-a-mat spoon
1 - bit of line tangled around a rock
and NO Tim Horton's cups!

Cheers to all those that were out cleaning up this weekend - and an extra cheers to those that don't need cleaning up after - your mama taught you well.

"Perhaps fishing is, for me, only an excuse to be near rivers"
Roderick Haig-Brown

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2017, 03:59:31 AM »

Thanks to the Chilliwack Vedder River Cleanup Society for all their hard work for putting on another successful cleanup, Thanks also to the Chilliwack Fish Game Protective Association for hosting the events and doing the BBQ. Also thanks to all the sponsors of the prizes, Tim Hortons Chilliwack, Chilliwack Water Store, City of Chilliwack, First Class Waste/Alpine Valley Disposal and Fraser Valley Regional District. Also to the great volunteers who attended and cleaned up a lot of garbage. From the CVRCS FB page. "240 AWESOME volunteers removed 2820kg of garbage and 720kg of metal from the Chilliwack Vedder River Valley and the Chillwack Vedder River watershed."

Another video I filmed.
https://youtu.be/mhqCGytO_dE