Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Two lures , One line  (Read 10158 times)

JBB

• I'm a llama!
Two lures , One line
« on: September 13, 2011, 03:40:24 PM »

I was in Steveston today and two guys were using the same setup. Both had two pink lures on one line ; one two feet above the other. The first was tied to the mainline and the other was tied on a leader off  the swivel . Is this legal ?
Man does not cease to play because he grows old ; he grows old because he ceases to play

tfishy

Re: Two lures , One line
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 04:07:35 PM »

It is illegal to angle with a fishing line to which more than one hook,
artificial lure or artificial fly is attached except:
– in the tidal portion of the Fraser River where you can use two hooks,
artificial lures or artificial flies, attached to a fishing line.
– in tidal waters you may use any number of hooks attached to a fishing
line if the hooks are used in combination to hold a single piece of bait
and not arranged in such a fashion to catch more than one fish.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 06:53:38 PM »

So, JBB, to answer your question, yes, it is a legal setup in the lower Fraser. :)

oddjob

• woof woof
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 07:08:16 PM »

If he had 2 lures on 1 line and each lure had hooks on it , he can catch 2 fish at the same time . My opinion that is an illegal set-up .

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 07:22:13 PM »

Allowed. As already stated from the regs –
in the tidal portion of the Fraser River you can use two hooks, artificial
lures or artificial flies, attached to a fishing line.

I have been playing with a spoon + hoochie combo (spoochi) but setup different then the OP mentioned.

ynot

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 07:26:06 PM »

oddjob your opinion is not what matters ,the regs are clear.

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 07:32:28 PM »

were they getting tangled up often?
im thinking they would work good with one dark spoon to a shiny pink spinner
gone to the dark side, poor levelwind probly never going to see the water again.

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 08:33:40 PM »

sounds like a Shady rig.
 2 hooks tied inline about 1-2' apart then 1-2' to the wieght at the bottom.
oh and don't forget the pink wool  ::)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2011, 08:50:23 PM »

Legal in the tidal portion of Fraser River as mentioned by others. It doesn't work so well with two lures, too much work and too much tangles/line twists. At times I use two flies when fly fishing for bull trout, cutthroat trout, etc.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2011, 09:18:17 PM »

It works well as a bar rig setup. When the bait ban is not in affect of course

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

dmoney

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2011, 10:01:44 PM »

It stands to reason that the reg is in place to enable barfishing. Using two lures to cast for pinks defeats the spirit, but not the letter of the law, so it's legal. I think a bigger concern would be snagging the fish with the spoon they didn't hit, during the fight.

D$

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2011, 10:04:35 PM »

Did both lures in fact have hooks on them or was the leed lure just a dummy lure?

I could see having a dummy lure on there and even more with the water clarity we have had.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2011, 10:09:48 PM »

I used to bottom fish with two hooks when using roe, but have switched to one hook. There are a few reasons behind this change. While more bait in the water attracts fish, I find it hard to set the hook not knowing how much bait is being eaten on each hook. I also don't like using so much roe for each trip. Sometimes you reel in your rig, one hook has no roe on it while the other hook still has some roe but does not look so appetizing. Throwing that bait away and putting new ones on seems like a waste, but keeping it on might just be as good as using no bait at all. Thirdly, less knots on the line means less tangles and less chance of breaking-off when a fish is on. To avoid complicating things more, I just like to use one hook these days.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2011, 11:31:47 PM »

"have been playing with a spoon + hoochie combo (spoochi) but setup different then the OP mentioned"

--have seen this type of rig used in USA... I use this rig... spoon on front...leader to trailing spinner,hoochie or smaller spoon... except of course here I do not have a hook on the front spoon.
--This would be a handy rig when targeting more than one species... I'm not going to explain how to combat the many problems mentioned with this system rig as it is not available for use in most of the province. There are ways to combat twist and hang up with the two hooks.
--I'm also in favour of...in areas where there is no good reason not to use the two hook system... of fishing with dropper flies... the test would be of course to prevent abuse of these rigs that are not intended to catch multiple fish nor for the second hook to also attach to a single caught fish.
--These definitions such as not intended to catch two fish at the same time are however only an interpretation and are largely not enforceable thus the dilemma with allowing them.
--In a retention area where it is inteded to keep what you catch within a set limit and caught fish must be kept and are part of the retention quota .. then fly at it.. get your retention fish and leave to allow others a chance... I can see areas where this would be an effective management tool but not as a general practice.

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2011, 08:47:06 AM »

The spoochi  :P was an attempt to try and get the fish to see my lures when the water clarity was terrible.  It works, however I think a single spoon or hoochie would work just as well.  There was no intention of catching 2 fish at a time despite having 2 hooks.

I have been using something similar now but just a spoon with a pink hoochie on the spoon hook.  This works as well but probably not better then a spoon itself.