Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder River Tides  (Read 9676 times)

Hello

• I'm a llama!
Vedder River Tides
« on: September 19, 2008, 06:48:41 PM »

Just wondering if anyone knows about the change in Vedder river levels due to the tide.  Also how long after high tide in Van does the peak occur in the vedder?

Hoping to get my boat to the mouth of the vedder but there is hardly any water at the confluence of the Vedder and Sumas at low tide.  Any boat launches close by to

launch in the fraser?  Thanks  ???

Marsman

Re: Vedder River Tides
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 07:22:49 PM »

Hi,

5 hours from Point Atkinson.  I think the closest launch on the Fraser would be Dewdney on the North Side.

Cheers

skunked

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 11:29:16 PM »

dewdney national park is probly best spot to launch close to the vedder mouth or u could try launching at old orchard pretty mucky tho

silverslab

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2008, 09:07:49 AM »

Hi,  I too am trying to understand the tide schedule for the vedder, someone refered to the point atkinson tides and said to add 4 hours. I am just wondering if this is the tides schedule being refered to

http://www.waterlevels.gc.ca/cgi-bin/tide-shc.cgi?queryType=showFrameset&language=english&region=1&zone=10&stnnum=7735

Also what should the the time zone be set to PDT +7   or PST +8

Thanks for any clarification

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2008, 09:26:47 AM »

Hi,

5 hours from Point Atkinson.  I think the closest launch on the Fraser would be Dewdney on the North Side.

Cheers

Actually, from my recollections of timing in the canal I believe that it's closer to 4 hours. However 5 hours would be accurate if you don't add an hour to correct from PST to PDT (if you are using the Vancouver Sun tide tables)

Hello

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2008, 11:40:03 AM »

Thanks for the replies.  Checked how long after high tide in Van the river rose at mission.  Appears that its about 3:30 hours after hide tide at the mouth.  Also checked out tides against times when i had been there this week.  Wednesday night when i was there it was really low when the low tide was at 1.2 meteres.  This mornings low tide was .8 meters and happened at 3:59 at the mouth of the fraser.  Therefore today at approx 8 am boats would have real trouble getting out of the Sumas canal.  These low and high tides cause an average rise and fall in water levels at mission of 3 feet.  I would assume that it would be slightly less in the vedder.   ;D

Fraserking

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008, 10:02:52 PM »

Hey there Hello,
I like you have found have always just watched the river level on the Mission Guage on the Government website and you can judge pretty close to the rise and fall from there. I think you're pretty close to the three foot different from high to low. I know on Sunday AM it was pretty skinny heading out to the mouth. Nice coming back in the afternoon though.
It's always tough when there are boats anchored in the only water you have to travel back and forth.
Slow and steady I guess.....Fraserking